Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

Special needs education - I'm guessing no!!

Special needs education - I'm guessing no!!

Old Apr 16th 2016, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Becsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond repute
Default Special needs education - I'm guessing no!!

Hi everyone

New here to the forum. I think I already know the answer to this question but am going to ask it anyway in case I've missed something in all my googling!

We are contemplating a move to Singapore in the next year or so. Given the expense of living there (we wouldn't go full blown expat if that exists any more anyway), we are doing the usual considering living in jb and husband commutes at least until I can find a job too. (We lived in kl for several years so I know the region fairly well, am aware of visa issues, horrendous commutes etc).

My question here is that our eldest has autism. Fairly mild in the scheme of things I guess, but needs support. There are schools in SG that he could attend but I don't really want him to commute too. Are there any schools at all in jb that cater for special needs?? Thanks in advance for any advice,
Old Apr 16th 2016, 11:42 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Special needs education - I'm guessing no!!

Hello and welcome to the forum

I'm in Penang and don't really have any answers for you. What I do find in Malaysia is that, once you start putting word around and networking, someone knows someone who knows someone and sometimes you hit the right spot.

I don't know if this website would be of any help. You could try emailing them and see if they know of any places in JB?
About Us - Early Autism Project Malaysia

Do read up in this sub-section about the commute to Singapore. It may well put you off the idea. Well, may put your husband off the idea.

When you said you didn't want your son to commute to the school in Singapore, is there not an option for you to move to near the school?

If you do eventually decide on Singapore, do post in the Sing section, won't you. We have a few active people on there with good knowledge.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 11:47 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, just stumbed on this on google. It's an autism centre in Johor :-)
Maybe send them an email? Or phone?
Calvary Victory Centre
Old Apr 17th 2016, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Becsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond reputeBecsinpta has a reputation beyond repute

Hi bakedbean

Thanks for your reply....the autism project in kl were one of the teams we worked with my son originally so I will get back in touch with them.

I really don't think it is a viable option though, I think it's going to have to be living in Singapore, that commute sounds like a killer! It's a shame as with three kids SG is very pricey and we will be living in a shoebox but I guess I will just make the trip across to jb to save money on groceries instead 😄. Will head over to the Singapore board instead....

Lucky you in Penang, I wouldn't mind Georgetown myself but that might have to wait a few more years 😊
Old Apr 17th 2016, 8:41 am

Yep, head over to the Singapore board.

Singapore IS expensive, but it doesn't have to be SO expensive. Just look out for how the locals live. I lived and worked there for a couple of years and we loved it there. It was great fun. Enjoy.