Driving a Rented Malaysian car to SG

Old May 10th 2016, 2:27 am
Just Joined

Hrolfr is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Driving a Rented Malaysian car to SG

Hi it's me again

I have rented a car in JB for a month.
First the guy forgot to give me the ID documents of the car.
Then I asked for it + insurance certificate, and he sent it to me.

The year of the vehicle on the sticker is 2011, on the ID documents its says 2009. The car number is the same thoug.

So that's my first questions:
- Is it usual in JB to rent a car without being given its ID documents ?
(I could understand the guy is afraid I'm going to leave the country -and never come back- with it..)

- Is there other explanations other than the car being stolen, for the mismatch years of making ? (like the guy wants to pay less the car servicing with a newer vehicle)

Then about the journey to Singapore:

- How do I get to Road Tax certificate ? If I try to "renew" online on LTA's website, it does not recognize the vehicle. Do I have to register it somewhere ? in my name or the owner's ?
Where do I go ? Can I do it online ?

In the mean time, is there someone here who goes daily to Bukit Timah, or nearby towns around 7am ? (need to be there at 8.15am)

Thanks !
Old May 10th 2016, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving a Rented Malaysian car to SG

I am in Penang and am using a rental car. I did not receive any car ID documents. Only an AAM card in case of trouble while on the road.
It happens that cars have a different year of manufacturing and year of registration. On the car's ID are both dates listed.

What Road Tax do you refer to? The one for Malaysia, or for Singapore?
Old May 10th 2016, 7:39 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Its reasuring thx
Im talking about the Singapore Tax Road disc certificate. I already have the malaysian one
Old May 10th 2016, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Hello H

A Malaysian car doesn't need Singapore tax. It only needs Malaysian.

What you DO need is the Autopass card. That registers foreign cars in and out. It also pays the Vehicle Entry permit and tolls.

To get that you have to register the vehicle at the crossing point LTA (either Tuas or Woodlands). You will need to take a picture of the tax "disc" on your phone and show it to the lady, and fill in a form.

If you're renting and the car is permitted / insured for Singapore, it (the Autopass) should come with the car. It's up to the owner to do that.

In summary, you should make sure that the car you're renting is permitted into Singapore. If it isn't you'll be turned back.
Old May 10th 2016, 2:41 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Is there a limit to how many times you can take the car into Singapore? Assuming there is permission to do so.
Old May 10th 2016, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean

Is there a limit to how many times you can take the car into Singapore? Assuming there is permission to do so.
No. There are limits about how long it can stay there (18 hours in any 24 hour period.... get a taxi to the airport!). Not sure if that's actually enforced because never tried it. Actually sounds a bit iffy (I read it on the LTA page)... how do tourists coming for a week cope???
You only get charged the $35 VEP once per day. And you get 10 free trips per year (apart from tolls that is). So if you pop down from Penang now and again it's fairly cheap.
However, you can drive a foreign car in every day... if you're rich enough!

Last edited by geedee; May 10th 2016 at 2:56 pm.
Old May 10th 2016, 3:31 pm
Just Joined

I am not that rich, I am trying to recrute some carpooler to split the fees
How do you know if the insurance is ok with entering Singapore ?
(I have finally managed to get some copies of the car ID documents, including the insurance policy)
Old May 10th 2016, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Also while thinking about it, there must be some car insurance companies wich does not provide the autopass while still covering the risks on singapore soil.

If not, why there would be a special office at woodlands CIQ only for registering autopass ? Autopass is for foreign cars only so they all have the insurance ready when they go there. And yet they do not have the autopass...
Old May 10th 2016, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno why but most Singapore car drivers' worst nightmare is being involved in an accident with a Malaysian car in Singapore.
It is believed rightly or wrongly that Malaysian car insurance is not effective in Singapore.
Old May 10th 2016, 11:01 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
I dunno why but most Singapore car drivers' worst nightmare is being involved in an accident with a Malaysian car in Singapore.
It is believed rightly or wrongly that Malaysian car insurance is not effective in Singapore.
You have to check the policy. I believe (think) most policies are included. Of course, whether all Malaysians actually have insurance in place.....
Old May 10th 2016, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by geedee
So if you pop down from Penang now and again it's fairly cheap.
Holy moly, I haven't even driven off Penang island yet
Old May 11th 2016, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hrolfr
Also while thinking about it, there must be some car insurance companies wich does not provide the autopass while still covering the risks on singapore soil.

If not, why there would be a special office at woodlands CIQ only for registering autopass ? Autopass is for foreign cars only so they all have the insurance ready when they go there. And yet they do not have the autopass...
Hi H

Not sure I follow you there....

The insurance companies don't issue Autopass. That's the LTA in Singapore. You HAVE to have it if you want to drive a foreign car in S'pore.
The Autopass has NOTHING to do with insurance. It's for paying your VEP and tolls basically. You cannot get it if your car is not taxed. You cannot tax a Malaysian car if it is not insured.... for Malaysia.

The Singapore cover comes as a separate clause (I think it's called foreign legal liability or something) This is NOT automatically included. You have to specify that you want cover for Singapore. It doesn't cost much.

Oddly, when you apply for an Autopass card, the LTA does not ask to see your insurance, only a photo of your tax "disc". This means that Singapore do not confirm you have cover to be in Singapore, which is odd but true.

If I were you I would only hire a car that comes with the Autopass AND make sure the rental company shows you that the vehicle is insured to be in Singapore.

Good luck!