Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia > Nusajaya - Iskandar - Johor
Reload this Page >

Living in Nusajaya - Working in Singapore

Living in Nusajaya - Working in Singapore

Old Nov 6th 2011, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Living in Nusajaya - Working in Singapore

Hi folks

My family has been living in Singapore for 3 years. We're pretty set on settling in Asia but property prices in Singapore are just ridiculous.

We visited some friends in Nusajaya today and we're now giving serious consideration to whether moving there, and my hubby continuing to work in Singapore, could be an option.

Just a few of the questions that have popped into my head so far (I'm sure there will be many many more!) Any answers/advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. Schools - we have two kids aged 7 and 4. They are both in local schools in Singapore (P1 and N2). What are the options for schooling in the Nusajaya area?

2. Any particular developments that you'd recommend? The friends we visited live in Ledang Heights. Their house was lovely but I feel it would be too isolated for us. I'm a sociable bunny and I need other people around me! Its also important for us to have somewhere the kids can go out and play with other children.

3. Safety - I can't deny I feel very safe living in Singapore and it's one of the things I like about living here. I don't know much about the general safety in Malaysia/JB as all you ever hear are the negatives. Any comments on this?

4. Shopping - are there supermarkets/shopping centres close to Nusajaya?

5. General cost of living. With the way things are going in the UK just now - I'm starting to find things in Singapore are not as expensive as I once thought (apart from cars and property!) How does the cost of living in Malaysia compare?

6. Medical - is this similar to Singapore where you have to have your own medical insurance? My hubby's company don't cover any of this sort of stuff (he gets his salary and that's it). Any recommendations for medical cover?

I think that's probably enough for me to ask of you all to begin with. I'll probably be back with more

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. I've had a look through the discussion board tonight and you all seem very friendly and helpful
Old Nov 6th 2011, 7:27 pm

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Nusajaya - Working in Singapore

Hi Bocat

Just popped over to this forum and saw your post.
Unfortnately I can't answer you questions as I am normally found lurking in the Goa forum, however I just wanted to say welcome to BE.

I am sure that Baked bean who is a Malaysia dweller will soon be along to assist you with information and answer all your questions

Regards
Dread - x
Old Nov 6th 2011, 9:10 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help you out with Nusajaya but as somebody who used to live in Singapore and has been known to use the forum nickname Bocat, I thought I should say hello
Old Nov 7th 2011, 12:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dread & Seasider

Thanks for the welcome! Such a friendly forum!

Seasider - I thought I was unique! I used to have a cat called Bo - hence the name
Old Nov 7th 2011, 12:58 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Bo says Hi. She's a drain cat - pictured here at our old house in Geylang.
Attached Thumbnails Living in Nusajaya - Working in Singapore-cimg1176.jpg  
Old Nov 7th 2011, 5:42 am
Just Joined

exhale is just really niceexhale is just really niceexhale is just really niceexhale is just really niceexhale is just really niceexhale is just really niceexhale is just really niceexhale is just really nice

Hi Bocat,

We've been living in Nusajaya now for 3 years. We lived in Singapore for 6 years before that. We live in Leisure Farm but are building our dream villa in Ledang Heights, and 5 other projects in the area. Happy to help via e-mail/phone. We are extremely happy with the move. I've answered your questions below and you may also want to check out a recent article in EXPAT Living magazine which covers a lot of these questions and more.

http://www.expatliving.sg/article/pr...ya-august-2011

Cheers,

David

1. Schools - we have two kids aged 7 and 4. They are both in local schools in Singapore (P1 and N2). What are the options for schooling in the Nusajaya area? Our kids are the same age as yours and will be going there...

Marlborough College (from the UK - Kate Middleton attended there) is setting up an amazing school, 5 minutes from Ledang Heights. It's a 90 acre campus and opens August 2012. They are having an opend day next Saturday and I would encourage you to check it out.

2. Any particular developments that you'd recommend? The friends we visited live in Ledang Heights. Their house was lovely but I feel it would be too isolated for us. I'm a sociable bunny and I need other people around me! Its also important for us to have somewhere the kids can go out and play with other children.

It's a personal choice. I'd go for Ledang Heights or Leisure Farm if you want to build your own home. They have the largest plots and freehold land. Everywhere else requires that you buy off plan, and homes are smaller. There is quite a community out here and I'm not left bored on weekends and weekday nights! However, we are still close to many of our friends in Singapore and travel into town some evenings just as before.

3. Safety - I can't deny I feel very safe living in Singapore and it's one of the things I like about living here. I don't know much about the general safety in Malaysia/JB as all you ever hear are the negatives. Any comments on this?

I feel as safe (or more safe) here as I did in Toronto, or most any other major city in the world.

It's not Orchard Road but there are plenty of places to shop down the road at Jusco/Aeon Bukit Indah. There is also a new retail factory outlet going up. For serious brand name shopping I still commute into Singapore.

5. General cost of living. With the way things are going in the UK just now - I'm starting to find things in Singapore are not as expensive as I once thought (apart from cars and property!) How does the cost of living in Malaysia compare?

You can build a dream villa on your condo budget.
You can get a Malaysian car and drive it into Singapore ONLY if you are not PR.
Marlborough Tuition is on par with Singapore private schools, however the facilities are much more expansive.
For everything else, I would guess staples are about 20% less. Restaurants can be a lot cheaper, bust still good. Labour (this includes landscapers, mechanics, repairmen and even doctors) are CONSIDERABLY cheaper than in Singapore.

6. Medical - is this similar to Singapore where you have to have your own medical insurance? My hubby's company don't cover any of this sort of stuff (he gets his salary and that's it). Any recommendations for medical cover?

Medi save from CPF (if you are PR) can be used at Glen Eagles Nusajaya that is being built. The also have Columbia Hospital which is really good. You still need to have medical insurance, but I didn't need to make any changes to mine to move over to Malaysia.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 6:09 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

One thing for sure, Malaysia is way way cheaper than Singapore. Take a look through other threads on here. Someone else recently proposed doing what you're planning . Maybe you can compare notes. I also know someone living in nusajaya. I'm traveling at moment but I'll send you a link when I get back in a couple o days. Try and do a couple more posts then i can PM you
Old Nov 7th 2011, 6:22 am
Just Joined

exhale is just really niceexhale is just really niceexhale is just really niceexhale is just really niceexhale is just really niceexhale is just really niceexhale is just really niceexhale is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bocat
Hi folks

My family has been living in Singapore for 3 years. We're pretty set on settling in Asia but property prices in Singapore are just ridiculous.

We visited some friends in Nusajaya today and we're now giving serious consideration to whether moving there, and my hubby continuing to work in Singapore, could be an option.

Just a few of the questions that have popped into my head so far (I'm sure there will be many many more!) Any answers/advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. Schools - we have two kids aged 7 and 4. They are both in local schools in Singapore (P1 and N2). What are the options for schooling in the Nusajaya area?

I think that's probably enough for me to ask of you all to begin with. I'll probably be back with more

Thanks in advance for any help/advice. I've had a look through the discussion board tonight and you all seem very friendly and helpful
Hi Bocat,

I just sent a pretty detailed response with some links that might help you. I've lived in Nusajaya for 3 years. The response is pending an approval from the Administrator, perhaps because of the links. Feel free to send me a private message and I can help you out.

Cheers,

David
Old Nov 7th 2011, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Seasider
Bo says Hi. She's a drain cat - pictured here at our old house in Geylang.
Aww she's beautiful. Our Bo was black and white. Unfortunately now that I'm cat-free I have to admit that I am actually allergic! No more using my inhaler and taking antihistamine every day. I miss having a moggy though
Old Nov 7th 2011, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

David and Bakedbean - thanks for your replies. Hope yours comes through soon David and Bakedbean - appreciate any advice you can give - but I'll have a look through the older posts in the meantime.

Just back from a day at the zoo so going to collapse on the couch first...
Old Nov 7th 2011, 8:30 am
Auntie Fa

Originally Posted by Bocat
Aww she's beautiful. Our Bo was black and white. Unfortunately now that I'm cat-free I have to admit that I am actually allergic! No more using my inhaler and taking antihistamine every day. I miss having a moggy though
Oh I have one of those too - he's called Fu. And a ginge called Han. All Sg rescues.

Sorry, I'm not helping much with Nusajaya am I? If you ever want to know anything about Sydney, I'm here.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Exhale (David) for all the guidance and info. I'm sure I'll be back with more and if you don't mind me sending you a PM I'll do that rather than bore everyone with all my questions!

I don't think building our own place is on our radar for the moment. I'd just be happy to move to a house, with a garden, and somewhere where my kids can go out to play and meet other children. I'm an easy to please soul really
Old Nov 7th 2011, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

Happy to help! Feel free to PM me. Cheers.
Old Nov 8th 2011, 8:00 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Great info exhale
Old Nov 8th 2011, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

This is the same route we going to go, live in Nasujaya & work in Singapore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.