Wanting to be a nurse in the U.K.

Old Sep 17th 2006, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

beatlesfan is on a distinguished road
Default Wanting to be a nurse in the U.K.

Hello, I just finished my schooling here in the U.S. and passed my NCLEX to become an LPN(liscenced practical nurse). I was wondering what the equivalent to that was in England and if I could apply for a visa as I would like to practice nursing in the U.K. Any help is greatly appreciated as I've searched online for hours but don't really get any answers. Thanks so much!
Old Sep 18th 2006, 6:36 am
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all
Default Re: Wanting to be a nurse in the U.K.

Originally Posted by beatlesfan
Hello, I just finished my schooling here in the U.S. and passed my NCLEX to become an LPN(liscenced practical nurse). I was wondering what the equivalent to that was in England and if I could apply for a visa as I would like to practice nursing in the U.K. Any help is greatly appreciated as I've searched online for hours but don't really get any answers. Thanks so much!
I have absolutely no idea what the equivalent is but congratulations for passing your NCLEX. Go to the NMC (Nursing and Midwifery Council) website and have a look/email them to see what they say. www.nmc-uk.org
Lucy
Old Sep 18th 2006, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Equivilant is something similar to Enrolled nurse although training in the US does differ from state to state.

For the UK you have to have RN but also there are now restrictions with immigration and employing nurses from outside the EU and getting work permit. Check out the international section on www.allnurses.com and also the UK section should find plenty of info about it

I am currently in the process of going UK to US so good luck in what you decide and congratulations in passing your exams
Old Sep 18th 2006, 6:25 pm
Just Joined

I have seen what the U.K. calls an enrolled nurse and it sounds like the equivalent of a U.S. LPN. But from what I'm understanding, it sounds like the U.K. will only accept R.N.'s. Does anyone know why this is? It seems so hard to get a work visa for the U.K. as I'm sure anyone trying to get a work visit to the U.S. could understand.
Why oh why is it sooo hard!!
I'm dating someone from England, we have met a few times(sorry to get personal) and are in love. We would like to move but both of us are having a difficult time obtaining a work visit as he is a carpenter and the U.S. doesn't really have a demand for that kind of work either. This is why I was searching for a work visa for nursing. However, if I came to England on a fiance visa, could I then search for a job as an enrolled nurse anyways???
Thanks for any help
Old Sep 18th 2006, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen what the U.K. calls an enrolled nurse and it sounds like the equivalent of a U.S. LPN. But from what I'm understanding, it sounds like the U.K. will only accept R.N.'s. Does anyone know why this is? It seems so hard to get a work visa for the U.K. as I'm sure anyone trying to get a work visit to the U.S. could understand.
Why oh why is it sooo hard!!
I'm dating someone from England, we have met a few times(sorry to get personal) and are in love. We would like to move but both of us are having a difficult time obtaining a work visit as he is a carpenter and the U.S. doesn't really have a demand for that kind of work either. This is why I was searching for a work visa for nursing. However, if I came to England on a fiance visa, could I then search for a job as an enrolled nurse anyways???
Thanks for any help

Hi there im an EN in the UK and currently unable to get work. Jobs are very few and far between for EN's unless you want to work to work in nursing homes. Ive been qualified 16 years and since leaving work to have children have found that no one wants to employ an EN even if they have further qualifications.
Sorry to dampen things for you.
Thats why im hoping to go to Oz on my hubbies visa as they still employ EN's
Good luck
Mandy
Old Sep 18th 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

as said in the previous posts, jobs at the moment are extremely hard with the NHS suffering from financial difficulties and a lot of trusts laying off and really cutting down on agency.

EN's aren't trained any more and haven't done for years so your training has to match what is currently done in the UK which is 3 years ish.

If you are looking at a fiance visa why not do it for him to go to you. You will have to get married within I think 90 days but if you did it to the UK I am sure there will be a limit on getting married.
Old Sep 19th 2006, 2:18 am
Just Joined

Do you know the limit on going on a fiance visa in the U.K.? How long do you have to get married over there???
If he was to come to the U.S. which would be our first choice, if he came on a fiance visa, could he then get married to me and then find a job as a carpenter??? In other words, if he came on a fiance/marriage liscence, could he be married to me and then find work??
Old Sep 19th 2006, 3:05 am
So Happy We could Dance

rob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to allrob&lucy is a name known to all

Do you know the limit on going on a fiance visa in the U.K.? How long do you have to get married over there???
If he was to come to the U.S. which would be our first choice, if he came on a fiance visa, could he then get married to me and then find a job as a carpenter??? In other words, if he came on a fiance/marriage liscence, could he be married to me and then find work??
Your best bet it to post this question on the US Immigration and general US forum as you'll get momre answers.
lucy
Old Sep 19th 2006, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Ask in the US marriage section but from what I understand once you are married and file appropriate papers and wait he can work, Why not do a search in the US marriage section as sure this will have been asked several times