Student Nurse, info needed!!!!

Old Jul 11th 2009, 12:34 pm
Just Joined

likeastar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Student Nurse, info needed!!!!

Hi all, i am 21 and in my third year of adult nursing, and am due to finish at christmas.
I am very interested in moving to Brisbane, or perhaps Hervey Bay, however I have no idea where to even start. Could any one possibly give me information on where to begin.

would i need experience as a staff nurse first?
How do i go about visas etc??!!

many thanks, xx
Old Jul 11th 2009, 4:27 pm
Just Joined

deanandjean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Student Nurse, info needed!!!!

Hi there

Have been researching it for a few weeks as we originally wanted to move to the states but that is a no go with retrogression backing up for 6 years and after finally getting my transcripts evaluated (6 weeks in vermont) it its showing short in areas that its near impossible to get in the uk.
Tell me if your training was like mine it fell short in hours in paediactrics midwifery and psych if so then applying to certain states from what i believe is going to be a bit awkward as they are requesting transcripts that cover these above areas as well.
Thats the bad news
Now the good news after very lengthy research i believe that Brisbane falls under the Queensland state and thus all they need to be licenced is as follows.

Your certificate of graduation diploma certificate etc
your nmc registration
A copy of your passport
Evidence of practice

All must be signed by either a judge lawyer/solicitor as real you cannot use a doctor nurse policeman etc there is a list on the website.

Along with the fee of aud$150

as it has now passed the 1st of july you now have to take the ielts and gain a 7.0 or higher and again this has to be sent in even though all our training is in english there are no exemptions unless you are in nz.

once licenced then apply for a job and at the same time file for immigration

it looks more straightforward than the states and if you have a close relative there then ask them to sponsor you under the skilled workers and sponsor immigration.
O am currently in the first stages and if any one else can throw any ligh on it then i would be grateful but thats what i believe is correct

and a couple of other forms that are required to be filled in and sent to the board of nursing

These have to be certified i.e get a few copies and
Old Jul 11th 2009, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Nurse Vicky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deanandjean
Hi there

Have been researching it for a few weeks as we originally wanted to move to the states but that is a no go with retrogression backing up for 6 years and after finally getting my transcripts evaluated (6 weeks in vermont) it its showing short in areas that its near impossible to get in the uk.
Tell me if your training was like mine it fell short in hours in paediactrics midwifery and psych if so then applying to certain states from what i believe is going to be a bit awkward as they are requesting transcripts that cover these above areas as well.
Thats the bad news
Now the good news after very lengthy research i believe that Brisbane falls under the Queensland state and thus all they need to be licenced is as follows.

Your certificate of graduation diploma certificate etc
your nmc registration
A copy of your passport
Evidence of practice

All must be signed by either a judge lawyer/solicitor as real you cannot use a doctor nurse policeman etc there is a list on the website.

Along with the fee of aud$150

as it has now passed the 1st of july you now have to take the ielts and gain a 7.0 or higher and again this has to be sent in even though all our training is in english there are no exemptions unless you are in nz.

once licenced then apply for a job and at the same time file for immigration

it looks more straightforward than the states and if you have a close relative there then ask them to sponsor you under the skilled workers and sponsor immigration.
O am currently in the first stages and if any one else can throw any ligh on it then i would be grateful but thats what i believe is correct

and a couple of other forms that are required to be filled in and sent to the board of nursing

These have to be certified i.e get a few copies and
Hi Likeastar I'm in a similar position to you but I qualify in Feb 2010.

We are hoping to move over to Oz asap and have been looking into how we can do this. For Brisbane (and actually loads of other locations in Oz) you can apply for a newly qualified graduate position. Queensland open there online application positions for early 2010 and mid 2010 at the end of this month and basically as far as I understand you register, apply giving your top 5/6 choices of hospitals, wait and hopefully get a telephone interview and get a job!
The link for this is:

http://www.health.qld.gov.au/nursing/gnor/default.asp

Cant wait to get to get the ball rolling.
What area of nursing are you hoping to go into?

Good luck
Vicky
x
Old Jul 12th 2009, 7:47 am
avi
BE Enthusiast

avi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
if you apply to a graduate nurse position no you do not need to have experience.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Hi Likeastar

As Avi has just said you can go for a new graduate position.
Queensland open up their online application process at the end of this month for entrants to join in early - mid 2010. If you google 'queensland nurse graduate scheme' it should come up (i did try and reply last night to you and put up the link to the website but it ob didnt like it).

I am hoping to apply for Brisbane/Goldcoast when the process goes live I think it is 2 weeks tomorrow 27th of july? Apparently you put down a choice of up to 6 hospitals and wait for contact to be made and then hopefully a tel. interview.
From some accounts this can take a couple of months but others have said they have heard within 2 weeks!!!

I hopefully qualify in Feb 2010 and want to get out there asap.
What branch of nursing are you in?

Good luck with it all.
Vicky
Old Jul 12th 2009, 4:11 pm
Just Joined

Oh weird my reply from last night has just appeared!!
Im not a weird writing the same thing twice honestly!!!
Old Jul 12th 2009, 10:45 pm
Just Joined

Hi Guys!!

thanks so much for replying you's have been a great help, has really started the ball rolling for me.

well, i am doing a diploma in Adult nursing, and whilst i finish at christmas i will not actually get my pin until early march 2010, so luckily have a bit of time still. Im not too fussed what area i go in to however i do enjoy surgery so that would be a bonus, other wise i am happy to take what ever they offer me.

in regard to this graduate program does that apply to diploma students who have no experience as a staff nurse?? sorry to ask so many questions!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 8:02 am
Just Joined

Hi Likestar
The graduate programme is only for newly qualified without any experience. A lot of hospitals offer rotations so you can rotate through different clinical areas some do 4 months 3 times a year and some offer 6 months in 2 clinical areas. You get a mentor and is basically to ease transition from being a student nurse to rn.
Hope this helps.
Good luck
Vicky
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:07 pm
Just Joined

hi vicky,

ohhh i see, that sounds fantastic then! I looked at the link you sent me but there wasn't much information on what it was actually about! From what i gather you can not apply til the 27th july?

How are you doing with your application?

kim xx
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

Hi Kim
Like you say can't actually start the online process until the 27th and then I suppose as soon as you register you will get all the info they require - scary!!
Can't wait till the 27th tho, its like the first step we have been waiting to take for sooooooo long!
Cheers

Vicky
x
Old Jul 15th 2009, 5:19 am
avi
BE Enthusiast

avi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of lightavi is a glorious beacon of light

The application is easy not as scary or as long winded as nhs jobs.
They ask about the placements what you think your role would be etc and also your refs. make sure you have email for them as well

Avril