skilled ind - extra points for having job offer

Old Oct 20th 2004, 8:54 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default skilled ind - extra points for having job offer

hello all,
just wondering if anyone had any advice/experience of achieving pass mark on points test by having a job offer? my dilemma being, my partner and i - now 37 and 41 - are 5 points short of the 120 if we apply with me not having a job offer. (no other way...need the 120!) Thing is, my twin boys are still only 3 and a half (4 in feb), and I know that childcare is going to be a bit of a prob until they start full time education, and im concerned that if i take on a full time job, im going to run into difficulties! Has anyone any advice or experience with this option? I basically need the flexibility of part time agency work, just for the first couple of years - has anyone secured employment to get the points, worked for a couple of months then left the job, or gone part time - are health care employers this flexible??

I will be eternally grateful for any advice!!

sue
Old Oct 20th 2004, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

primrose will become famous soon enoughprimrose will become famous soon enough
Default Re: skilled ind - extra points for having job offer

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
hello all,

sue
Sue,

sent you a pm

Lisa
Old Oct 21st 2004, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by primrose
Sue,

sent you a pm

Lisa
Hi Sue, theres way's round it. just because you have a job offer doesn't mean you have to take the job when you land! Although I detest agencies (see previous threads), if you receive an offer of employment via them it stays flexible. My friend did this, she did a couple of shifts over a weekend, didn't like nursing here and just hasn't done anymore! She was in the same situation as you and got the 5 points by having an offer of employment with an agency! Good luck!
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:11 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glittababe
Hi Sue, theres way's round it. just because you have a job offer doesn't mean you have to take the job when you land! Although I detest agencies (see previous threads), if you receive an offer of employment via them it stays flexible. My friend did this, she did a couple of shifts over a weekend, didn't like nursing here and just hasn't done anymore! She was in the same situation as you and got the 5 points by having an offer of employment with an agency! Good luck!
hey, thats really good news!
Do you know which agency she went with or are they all pretty helpful? I really want to do agency...hubby works in construction so will be up with the larks (starting at 6am!) which is why we run into problems with childcare with the twins and thier sister.
Did she just need a letter stating she is offered full time work for the visa application?
From posts i have read over the last 18 months DIMIA (quite rightly) would be concerned if you got a job offer just to satisfy the points system with no intention of taking up the job once you got there....dont want deporting!!
but thanks for that...i will email the main agencies and see what they say.
sue
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:19 am

hi again,
i cross posted this on the immigration forum as well and Jeremy (JAJ) advised me that there is no specific comeback if you get the visa with a job offer then decide to do something else on landing.
So now I just have to get a job offer.

sue
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

hey, thats really good news!
Do you know which agency she went with or are they all pretty helpful? I really want to do agency...hubby works in construction so will be up with the larks (starting at 6am!) which is why we run into problems with childcare with the twins and thier sister.
Did she just need a letter stating she is offered full time work for the visa application?
From posts i have read over the last 18 months DIMIA (quite rightly) would be concerned if you got a job offer just to satisfy the points system with no intention of taking up the job once you got there....dont want deporting!!
but thanks for that...i will email the main agencies and see what they say.
sue
Hi Sue, my friend went through Acclaim Recruitment based in Brisbane. The recruiter there is called Karyn, and with all my problems with the agency I am with, I called her and she has been great. They have to provide a letter, on headed paper stating the intended job offer, full or part time (DIMIA prefer 20 + hours a week if your the main applicant), 30 hrs is inbetween so acceptable, but if your a good actress make out you are prepared to do full time (looks better on paper)! Remember you can do what ever hours you want with the agency, so just because you tell them it'll be full time, it doesn't have to be. My friend got the 5 points no problems. Hope this helps! Take care X
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by glittababe
Hi Sue, my friend went through Acclaim Recruitment based in Brisbane. The recruiter there is called Karyn, and with all my problems with the agency I am with, I called her and she has been great. They have to provide a letter, on headed paper stating the intended job offer, full or part time (DIMIA prefer 20 + hours a week if your the main applicant), 30 hrs is inbetween so acceptable, but if your a good actress make out you are prepared to do full time (looks better on paper)! Remember you can do what ever hours you want with the agency, so just because you tell them it'll be full time, it doesn't have to be. My friend got the 5 points no problems. Hope this helps! Take care X

great stuff!!!
Do they have a website?

sue
Old Oct 21st 2004, 7:56 am

glittababe...have pm'd you

sue
Old Oct 21st 2004, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

hello all,
just wondering if anyone had any advice/experience of achieving pass mark on points test by having a job offer? my dilemma being, my partner and i - now 37 and 41 - are 5 points short of the 120 if we apply with me not having a job offer. (no other way...need the 120!) Thing is, my twin boys are still only 3 and a half (4 in feb), and I know that childcare is going to be a bit of a prob until they start full time education, and im concerned that if i take on a full time job, im going to run into difficulties! Has anyone any advice or experience with this option? I basically need the flexibility of part time agency work, just for the first couple of years - has anyone secured employment to get the points, worked for a couple of months then left the job, or gone part time - are health care employers this flexible??

sue
Hi Sue have sent you a PM and emailed Acclaim to let them know your looking for work! Hope this helps good luck annie
Old Oct 24th 2004, 9:48 am
Just Joined

Janice Richardson is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: skilled ind - extra points for having job offer

hello all,

sue

Hello there !!

You lot have just freaked me out!! Are you all nurses and if so do you have to still fit the points criteria??
I was told ....or led to believe that being a nurse was a sure thing ....so much so that you weren t even points tested.Is this true ? Or have i been incredibly naive.I know that nursing is in the occupations in demand list but does that mean i will be automatically accepted or not?? Feel really daft asking this now at this stage.
I possibly need to start looking for a job?????
Janice
Old Oct 24th 2004, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

primrose will become famous soon enoughprimrose will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Janice Richardson
Hello there !!

You lot have just freaked me out!! Are you all nurses and if so do you have to still fit the points criteria??
I was told ....or led to believe that being a nurse was a sure thing ....so much so that you weren t even points tested.Is this true ? Or have i been incredibly naive.I know that nursing is in the occupations in demand list but does that mean i will be automatically accepted or not?? Feel really daft asking this now at this stage.
I possibly need to start looking for a job?????
Janice
Janice,

You will need to pass the points criteria for whichever visa type you apply for; skilled independent is currently 120 points. It is less if you go STNI or SIR.

Check out this site
http://www.immi.gov.au/
Look in the section migrating to Australia (on the left) and you will find information about the different visas.
There is a points calculator on there also.
You will only have to get a job offer before you go if you need the points.

Lisa
Old Oct 24th 2004, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Janice Richardson is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by primrose
Janice,

You will need to pass the points criteria for whichever visa type you apply for; skilled independent is currently 120 points. It is less if you go STNI or SIR.

Check out this site
http://www.immi.gov.au/
Look in the section migrating to Australia (on the left) and you will find information about the different visas.
There is a points calculator on there also.
You will only have to get a job offer before you go if you need the points.

Lisa
Thanks for that Lisa!!

Have just been on the web site you suggested and looking at the points test criteria i come out with 125!!! Thats good news for me - unless it all alters by the time i actually get there.

I can breathe again!!

Thanks again - isn t this forum brill !!

Janice