Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations
Reload this Page >

RN peadiatric and or palliative care nurses possibly looking for work?!

RN peadiatric and or palliative care nurses possibly looking for work?!

Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute
Default RN peadiatric and or palliative care nurses possibly looking for work?!

hello all,

just treading the water really........i recently started working at a children's hospice in western subs of brissy, the only palliative, respite and end of life facility for kids in qld. it deals mainly with respite and palliative and a lot with special or complex needs.

its the job ive been wanting since arriving in aus almost 2 years ago and i love it BUT and its a huge but!! i have a few issues already affecting my decision to work there.

firstly i have big family issues and i realise now that working so far away isnt having the right impact on family, especially as my daughter is sick. secondly the travel, it takes me 2 hours to get there(if i miss the traffic!!otherwise nearly 3!) and thirdly i stay down there twice a week its costing me $250 a fortnight for fuel and accomadation and because ive taken a pay cut theres no way i can continue the job.

the thing is, i'm scared shitless to tell them because theyve paid $4k to advertise through oxley as they just havent had any luck getting an rn in 2 years!! so basicly what i would like to do is hand in my notice but say i might know of someone else who could be interested!!

the job is brill and if you love working with paeds and or palliative care it would be a great job for someone who lives in brisbane or surrounding areas. if you think you might be interested then send me a PM and i'll fill you in with more info.

thanks

debbie
Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:50 am
Living the Dream!

Mrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond reputeMrs JFW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RN peadiatric and or palliative care nurses possibly looking for work?!

Originally Posted by debbiemc
hello all,

just treading the water really........i recently started working at a children's hospice in western subs of brissy, the only palliative, respite and end of life facility for kids in qld. it deals mainly with respite and palliative and a lot with special or complex needs.

its the job ive been wanting since arriving in aus almost 2 years ago and i love it BUT and its a huge but!! i have a few issues already affecting my decision to work there.

firstly i have big family issues and i realise now that working so far away isnt having the right impact on family, especially as my daughter is sick. secondly the travel, it takes me 2 hours to get there(if i miss the traffic!!otherwise nearly 3!) and thirdly i stay down there twice a week its costing me $250 a fortnight for fuel and accomadation and because ive taken a pay cut theres no way i can continue the job.

the thing is, i'm scared shitless to tell them because theyve paid $4k to advertise through oxley as they just havent had any luck getting an rn in 2 years!! so basicly what i would like to do is hand in my notice but say i might know of someone else who could be interested!!

the job is brill and if you love working with paeds and or palliative care it would be a great job for someone who lives in brisbane or surrounding areas. if you think you might be interested then send me a PM and i'll fill you in with more info.

thanks

debbie
Hi Debs! long time no hear hun!

Thats a shame about your circumstances leading you to leave your dream job. Is a move closer to Brissy an option at all? I don't know of any other paed nurses but will keep my ears and eyes open for you.

Jackie x
Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RN peadiatric and or palliative care nurses possibly looking for work?!

Originally Posted by Mrs JFW
Hi Debs! long time no hear hun!

Thats a shame about your circumstances leading you to leave your dream job. Is a move closer to Brissy an option at all? I don't know of any other paed nurses but will keep my ears and eyes open for you.

Jackie x

hi jac,

yep long time no see or hear! have you all settled well? yeah shame about things but no go on moving closer we love it up here.

the job is great and eventually will be a cushy little number. dosent have to be paeds nurse, just accepting an rn, the one who started last week was mental health but after 3 month probationary are going to fund a palliative care course.

are you in cleveland? i was at hilarys a couple of weeks ago shame we couldve met up. we're on about selling in the spring maybe and moving to coolum. bloody queenslanders too much hard work!!

did you see sue's thread? she lost her mum at the weekend i'll pm you my numbers and we'll have to catch up soon. have the kids settled?
Old Apr 29th 2008, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

shazzad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by debbiemc
hi jac,

yep long time no see or hear! have you all settled well? yeah shame about things but no go on moving closer we love it up here.

the job is great and eventually will be a cushy little number. dosent have to be paeds nurse, just accepting an rn, the one who started last week was mental health but after 3 month probationary are going to fund a palliative care course.

are you in cleveland? i was at hilarys a couple of weeks ago shame we couldve met up. we're on about selling in the spring maybe and moving to coolum. bloody queenslanders too much hard work!!

did you see sue's thread? she lost her mum at the weekend i'll pm you my numbers and we'll have to catch up soon. have the kids settled?
hi, hope you dont mind me asking, but my husband is a peadiatric nurse with 6 months experience - he is 43 and we have decided to take a chance and move to oz (if we can get in..). Could you give us some advice as to how you emigrated...did you find a job first and then apply. We have an aunty and cousins in Adelaide to ideally would like to based in that area. Any information would be greatfully received, as not really sure where to start.

thanks
Old Apr 30th 2008, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by shazzad
hi, hope you dont mind me asking, but my husband is a peadiatric nurse with 6 months experience - he is 43 and we have decided to take a chance and move to oz (if we can get in..). Could you give us some advice as to how you emigrated...did you find a job first and then apply. We have an aunty and cousins in Adelaide to ideally would like to based in that area. Any information would be greatfully received, as not really sure where to start.

thanks
hi shazzad,

we came on a permanent visa which can take a bit more time than the others but in my opinion, saves time when you're here. if you come on the perm visa (316) i think!!! then he can work wherever, dosent even have to be a nurse, but if you go the sponsored route then you are usually tied for a couple of years.

i'm not sure but he might have to come as a post grad as he will have to prove he has worked as an rn for so many hours over a period of i think 2 years. the best advice i can give you is talk to an agent, i can highly recommend alan collette at go matilda, you'll find lots of threads about him and his company, just do a search.

good luck

debbie