Research:British Nurses in Western Australia

Old Jan 21st 2008, 4:08 am
Just Joined

Gathering Info has a brilliant futureGathering Info has a brilliant futureGathering Info has a brilliant futureGathering Info has a brilliant futureGathering Info has a brilliant futureGathering Info has a brilliant future
Default Research:British Nurses in Western Australia

Hi,

My name is Gillian, I am a PhD student at the University of Western Australia carrying out research on the experience and perceptions of British women who have settled in Western Australia, with a focus on their social relationships.

I am particularly interested in those who were granted visas on the
strength of their nursing qualifications. The reason for this is that much of the literature on migration assumes that men migrate and women follow which, as many of you will know, is not always the case.

If the above applies to you, and you are prepared to be interviewed or would like more information please send me a PM.

At the same time if anyone feels inclined to comment in this thread as to how they have found their move to WA, particularly in relation to leaving family and friends and establishing new contacts here that would be great too.

I look forward to hearing from you,
Gillian

Last edited by Sue; Jan 21st 2008 at 11:58 am. Reason: Member has contacted admin and been given approval to make this post here.
Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Research:British Nurses in Western Australia

I would be up for this - having been involved in research myself - unfortunately I'm in QLD so I'll be looking for update posts from you with interest
Old Jan 21st 2008, 8:40 am
Just Joined

Gathering Info has a brilliant futureGathering Info has a brilliant futureGathering Info has a brilliant futureGathering Info has a brilliant futureGathering Info has a brilliant futureGathering Info has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kitty4
I would be up for this - having been involved in research myself - unfortunately I'm in QLD so I'll be looking for update posts from you with interest
Hi Kitty4,

Thanks for the post it is a shame you are not here to take part but I'd still welcome any comments you'd like to make on the thread. It might get someone else thinking they have something to tell me.

One of the things I wondered when I started out was whether women who were the primary visa applicants would have a less traditional role within their families for example be the main breadwinner, or have less responsibility for childcare. So far this doesn't seem to be the case but it is early days.

I'd also be interested to hear from women who have migrated on their own because so far all my respondents have been married/defacto and it would be interesting to compare experiences in relation to establishing new social relationships and maintaining the old ones.

Gillian
Old Jan 21st 2008, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

kitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond reputekitty4 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gathering Info
Hi Kitty4,

Thanks for the post it is a shame you are not here to take part but I'd still welcome any comments you'd like to make on the thread. It might get someone else thinking they have something to tell me.

One of the things I wondered when I started out was whether women who were the primary visa applicants would have a less traditional role within their families for example be the main breadwinner, or have less responsibility for childcare. So far this doesn't seem to be the case but it is early days.

I'd also be interested to hear from women who have migrated on their own because so far all my respondents have been married/defacto and it would be interesting to compare experiences in relation to establishing new social relationships and maintaining the old ones.

Gillian

Thanks Gillian

I'm the visa applicant and can say beyond doubt that traditional ''home'' responsibilities don't change (and I don't have children!!) I'm the one who ''establishes'' all the new social arrangements etc - but then again - I have the opportunity to because of meeting people at work. As for the housework etc - guess I also maintain the old relationships and contacts - even on behalf of dear one who is self professed hopeless at it - mind you would be the same if we were in either end of England or here on the other side of the world Guess it may come down to entrenched gender roles?
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:08 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kitty4
Thanks Gillian

I'm the visa applicant and can say beyond doubt that traditional ''home'' responsibilities don't change (and I don't have children!!) I'm the one who ''establishes'' all the new social arrangements etc - but then again - I have the opportunity to because of meeting people at work. As for the housework etc - guess I also maintain the old relationships and contacts - even on behalf of dear one who is self professed hopeless at it - mind you would be the same if we were in either end of England or here on the other side of the world Guess it may come down to entrenched gender roles?
Hi Kitty4,

Your experience seems fairly typical of what I've found so far, in fact if you'd said your OH did the housework I'd have had to come to QLD to interview him!!
Did he have any problems with you being the main visa applicant or was it just a case of it being the easiest option for the two of you? Also some of my participants have said that their husbands/partners have struggled to settle, you mention that you are the main source of new contacts, particularly through work, so would you say this has been the case for your OH or is he just going with the flow and enjoying the fact that you are doing everything for him (i'd have popped a smiley in here but don't seem to have them on the quick reply option).

Sorry if I am asking too many questions I won't be offended if you don't want to answer.

There is a social theorist called Ulrich Beck who argues that men now live more individualized lives with less traditional ties but that for women this process is incomplete, so far my work suggests that he might be right in thinking this.

Any thoughts,
Gillian