Refusal to provide a reference for AHPRA

Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:21 am
Forum Regular

YvetteCamille is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Refusal to provide a reference for AHPRA

Hi Guys,

Just need a bit of advice. So I'm collecting statements of employment for AHPRA and one of them (there's always one) who have refused to give me the statement but have told me to ask AHPRA to request it instead Now I am sure that AHPRA will not do this, as why would they?!

It is my only past employer who is unwilling to help me and I really don't want this to hold up my application or even mean that I cannot register as planned! I have the email they have sent me stating that they wont process my request and I intend to put that in my AHPRA application.

Does anyone know whether this would be acceptable? Or has anyone else had such problems that they have managed to get round?

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Yvette
Old Apr 4th 2014, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Refusal to provide a reference for AHPRA

Technically, they can't refuse. I'll PM you Yvette.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 4:01 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they can refuse.
It's not a personal reference, it's confirming dates, job role etc.
Have you spoken to the HR dept?
Old Apr 7th 2014, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kapri
I don't think they can refuse.
It's not a personal reference, it's confirming dates, job role etc.
Have you spoken to the HR dept?
Hi Kapri,

Yes Ive asked their HR and theyve told me that I have to get AHPRA to request the statement!
I'm just going to send my application with a copy of the email they've sent me refusing the request and see what happens.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute

For a company with such massive government contracts, you would think they could be a bit more receptive.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by genorm
For a company with such massive government contracts, you would think they could be a bit more receptive.
I know! Surely it's not that time consuming? I thought that if you worked in a regulated industry such as Nursing that they had a duty to provide at least a basic reference?
Anyway I'm going to submit my application this week hopefully and I have contacted the NMC for verification in advance of send off my application so that it doesn't hold that up.

Fingers crossed the lack of that statement of employment doesn't cause me too much bother
Old Apr 7th 2014, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes, fingers crossed :-)

Originally Posted by YvetteCamille
I know! Surely it's not that time consuming? I thought that if you worked in a regulated industry such as Nursing that they had a duty to provide at least a basic reference?
Anyway I'm going to submit my application this week hopefully and I have contacted the NMC for verification in advance of send off my application so that it doesn't hold that up.

Fingers crossed the lack of that statement of employment doesn't cause me too much bother
Old Apr 7th 2014, 11:38 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kapri,

Yes Ive asked their HR and theyve told me that I have to get AHPRA to request the statement!
I'm just going to send my application with a copy of the email they've sent me refusing the request and see what happens.
I would phone Ahpra and speak to them, rather than just sending the application incomplete.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

I would phone Ahpra and speak to them, rather than just sending the application incomplete.
Ive written a letter with my application explaining what I have sent and the issue with this reference along with a printed out copy of the email my previous employers had sent refusing the request so it's all explained. Once I have sent the application off I will contact them again to see if this has been satisfactory as there is very little else I can do about that reference now, if this is a problem i'm going to seek legal advice!

Thanks
Yvette
Old Apr 7th 2014, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Yvette,

I suppose technically, they haven't refused, they are saying that they will only deal directly with AHPRA.

If they continue to be difficult, bring it to the attention of the NMC as I'm sure they would be able to intervene.

However, I would be with the previous subscriber here, best delay a couple of days, approach AHPRA and explain what has happened, and get their advice. I'm sure they have had this arise before, and it's better to delay sending your stuff by a couple of days than have AHPRA reject your application until it's complete.

Cheers

Dave

Ive written a letter with my application explaining what I have sent and the issue with this reference along with a printed out copy of the email my previous employers had sent refusing the request so it's all explained. Once I have sent the application off I will contact them again to see if this has been satisfactory as there is very little else I can do about that reference now, if this is a problem i'm going to seek legal advice!

Thanks
Yvette
Old Apr 7th 2014, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

I've just sent them an email explaining my issue and hopefully they'll get back to me soon!
Old Apr 7th 2014, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

No need to panic folks. I've just received a report that says 21% of all nursing vacancies in Australia for 2013 remain unfilled.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by genorm
No need to panic folks. I've just received a report that says 21% of all nursing vacancies in Australia for 2013 remain unfilled.
as we like to say in liverpool "happy days"