Temporary Work visa 457 - are companies keen to do it?

Old Apr 7th 2014, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

jeffy22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Temporary Work visa 457 - are companies keen to do it?

How keen are companies to sponsor nurses for this as it looks like a lot of work for them, would they just rather employ an Australian nurse instead?

I've had some interest in my c.v for a job near my family although they expect me to sort out my own visa as they've never employed an overseas nurse before. They did say (as we both didn't understand at the time that they would write a letter to support my visa application)

another option is a nursing pool (temp work) I guess this would require independent visas.
Visa 190 State/Territory government nomination
or
Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)

has anyone gone this option?

currently waiting on APHRA (fingers crossed)
Old Apr 7th 2014, 2:58 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Work visa 457 - are companies keen to do it?

Originally Posted by jeffy22
How keen are companies to sponsor nurses for this as it looks like a lot of work for them, would they just rather employ an Australian nurse instead?

I've had some interest in my c.v for a job near my family although they expect me to sort out my own visa as they've never employed an overseas nurse before. They did say (as we both didn't understand at the time that they would write a letter to support my visa application)

another option is a nursing pool (temp work) I guess this would require independent visas.
Visa 190 State/Territory government nomination
or
Skilled Independent visa (subclass 189)

has anyone gone this option?

currently waiting on APHRA (fingers crossed)
First thing to note is that while some places will sponsor for a 457, that is only a temp visa. You would be better off looking at one of the PR visas, especially the 189 - on which you get PR and can work & live where you like.
Old Apr 7th 2014, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

genorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond reputegenorm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Work visa 457 - are companies keen to do it?

Sponsorship, like jobs, is hot and cold.

As Pollyana says, if you are serious about emigrating to a new country, you should perhaps be showing some commitment and that means a PR visa.

Additionally, you can move around jobs with PR - you can't do that with a 457 sponsorship.