nursing in oz the experience so far

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: nursing in oz the experience so far

good morning all,
i'm new to all this but enjoying reading the post. trouble is i,ve so much housework to do i find that its not getting done cos i'm sat here for hours!!
well, my parner and i plus 2 kids are just about to begin the skilled migration process and i have a few questions if anyone can help. I'm a RN paediatric nurse with 3 years post grad (advanced diploma) we're not quite sure where we want to be in oz but think brisbaine, gold coast maybe. it seems there isnt much call 4 paed nurses on the jobs pages, is this right? also would i have to take any conversion tests to work as an RN or would i have to work as an EN has i have heard from a friend? if anyone has any useful tips or advice, i would be extremely grateful. thanks
Old Aug 27th 2004, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Suzanne1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: nursing in oz the experience so far

HI Sue

Just started initial enquiy about coming to Perth and the agency I spoke to (Austalian Nursing Solutions) told me that if I go with on sponsership I will have to work full time. Can you tell me how many hours per week is full time and how long the shifts are please. I have a young family and I'm concerned I won't be around enough whilst they are trying to settle, although Dad will be there with them.

Many thanks
Suzanne

UOTE=sue48]Hi Nikki

Well, I think most tend to use the initial letter of each word and expect you to understand what it means. I've included a few for you. As for orientation, I had 2 days induction including an overview of the hospital and tour, moving and handling, fire safety, computer training, infection control,HBLS (hospital based life support) and waste management. Then I had 2 days on the ward and off on my own. Fortunately the staff were brilliant support at this time, particularly since I had not worked in a hospital environment for over 8 years.

T/F transfer or thickened fluids
TOV trial of void
PVBS post void bladder scan
FR fluid restriction
PAC pressure area care
MERT medical emergency response team
BSL blood sugar level
I/O in/out catheter
IDC indwelling catheter
R/V review
SOOB sit out of bed
OA osteoarthritis
OT operating theatre or occupational therapist
ZF zimmer frame
STI soft tissue injury
H/C handicapped
U/A urinalysis
S/E supine and erect
SD subdural
NVO neuro vascular observations
RIB rest in bed
NWB non weight bearing
OP operation or osteoporosis
MVA motor vehicle accident
ATW admitted to ward
RTW returned to ward
SOBOE short of breath on exertion
Ung ointment

The list could go on and on and not fogetting all the ones we are all familiar with. I could not imagine the fun there woulbd be deciphering all these if a case ever went to court.[/QUOTE]
Old Aug 27th 2004, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

arlene is an unknown quantity at this point

one of my favourites is
ic = intellectually challenged

have started nights now and its suprising how quick you adapt to new routines, in the space of a couple of months i seem to have got the hang of things, especially the needleless culture they have here which is fab

as ive said before nursing is nursing whereever you go,

arlene
Old Aug 27th 2004, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

sue48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Suzanne

Full time is 76-80hrs per fortnight. If you work 80hrs, you get paid for 76 and accrue 4hrs per fortnight so you can have extra days off at a later date. You also get TOIL days which are accrued days off for worked public holidays. With 5 weeks holiday, toil days and accrued days off your hols can equate to 9 weeks leave a year.
The shifts at Sir Charles Gairdner are 0700-1530 ,1300-2130 and nights are 2100-0730. Not sure if they are the same every where in Perth. Good luck with your enquiries and if I can help just let me know

Regards Sue

[QUOTE=Suzanne1]HI Sue

Just started initial enquiy about coming to Perth and the agency I spoke to (Austalian Nursing Solutions) told me that if I go with on sponsership I will have to work full time. Can you tell me how many hours per week is full time and how long the shifts are please. I have a young family and I'm concerned I won't be around enough whilst they are trying to settle, although Dad will be there with them.

Many thanks