British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/)
-   -   nursing in oz the experience so far (https://britishexpats.com/forum/nurses-doctors-other-medical-healthcare-occupations-72/nursing-oz-experience-so-far-245465/)

arlene Jul 31st 2004 4:38 am

nursing in oz the experience so far

have been working in the nursing pool for the past couple of weeks (have got an interview for a permenat post on mon)

not that much difference here except not much use of dynomaps, everything is manual not that that is a bad thing

they hardly ever use needles here they have adapters which fit onto bungs to lines, nurses take blood and insert cannulas on a regular basis

drugs are more or less the same except different brand names which you quickly get used to and the ratio is normally 1 nurse to either 4 or 8 patients and although that sounds great you are totally responsible for their care usually on your own which takes up quite a lot of time

paperwork is endless and everyday you have to log on to the computor and list exactly what you have done for each patient so the ward can get the correct funding

altogether not that different from the uk

arlene

sue48 Jul 31st 2004 5:24 am

Re: nursing in oz the experience so far

It's all the abbreviations they use that stumps me.

Originally posted by arlene
have been working in the nursing pool for the past couple of weeks (have got an interview for a permenat post on mon)

not that much difference here except not much use of dynomaps, everything is manual not that that is a bad thing

they hardly ever use needles here they have adapters which fit onto bungs to lines, nurses take blood and insert cannulas on a regular basis

drugs are more or less the same except different brand names which you quickly get used to and the ratio is normally 1 nurse to either 4 or 8 patients and although that sounds great you are totally responsible for their care usually on your own which takes up quite a lot of time

paperwork is endless and everyday you have to log on to the computor and list exactly what you have done for each patient so the ward can get the correct funding

altogether not that different from the uk

arlene

Gill and Rob Jul 31st 2004 12:15 pm

Yes I was impresed with the needleless system they use here in NZ. Glad you are adjusting to the work and good luck for the interview on Monday.
Gill

nikkers Jul 31st 2004 3:05 pm

Originally posted by sue48
It's all the abbreviations they use that stumps me.

Sue

What abbreviations do they use?

Can you explain more?

Did you have some kind of orientation or are you thrown in the deep end?

We have 2-4 wks orientation for all new nurses where I work in the uk.Is that unusual in oz?

Thanks Nikki x

sue48 Aug 1st 2004 7:32 am

Hi Nikki

Well, I think most tend to use the initial letter of each word and expect you to understand what it means. I've included a few for you. As for orientation, I had 2 days induction including an overview of the hospital and tour, moving and handling, fire safety, computer training, infection control,HBLS (hospital based life support) and waste management. Then I had 2 days on the ward and off on my own. Fortunately the staff were brilliant support at this time, particularly since I had not worked in a hospital environment for over 8 years.

T/F transfer or thickened fluids
TOV trial of void
PVBS post void bladder scan
FR fluid restriction
PAC pressure area care
MERT medical emergency response team
BSL blood sugar level
I/O in/out catheter
IDC indwelling catheter
R/V review
SOOB sit out of bed
OA osteoarthritis
OT operating theatre or occupational therapist
ZF zimmer frame
STI soft tissue injury
H/C handicapped
U/A urinalysis
S/E supine and erect
SD subdural
NVO neuro vascular observations
RIB rest in bed
NWB non weight bearing
OP operation or osteoporosis
MVA motor vehicle accident
ATW admitted to ward
RTW returned to ward
SOBOE short of breath on exertion
Ung ointment

The list could go on and on and not fogetting all the ones we are all familiar with. I could not imagine the fun there woulbd be deciphering all these if a case ever went to court.

Originally posted by nikkers
Sue

What abbreviations do they use?

Can you explain more?

We have 2-4 wks orientation for all new nurses where I work in the uk.Is that unusual in oz?

Thanks Nikki x

arlene Aug 1st 2004 8:05 am

Thanks Nikki x [/QUOTE]

nikki

i had 3 days in the classroom and 2 days on the ward for my orientation then you are left to your own devices:scared:

dont worry though nursing is nursing wherever you go

arlene

nikkers Aug 1st 2004 8:20 pm

Hiya Arlene and Sue

Thanks for all the info I find it really interesting!

Please keep posting!

Where are you both working? How do you know what level to apply for?

I'm a CNS H grade over here but relise posts like mine prob aren't available I don't really want to be involved with managing Staff as I prefer more Clinical posts.

I noticed some adverts for Nurse Consultants What are they in Oz?

Are they like the UK ones>

Thanks

Nikki x

Tass Aug 2nd 2004 4:11 pm

How do you know what level to apply for?

I'm a CNS H grade over here but relise posts like mine prob aren't available I don't really want to be involved with managing Staff as I prefer more Clinical posts.

I noticed some adverts for Nurse Consultants What are they in Oz?

Are they like the UK ones>

Thanks

Nikki x
Nikki , sent you P.M. few days ago regarding similar topic. Let me know if you got it , if not I've sent it to totally wrong person !!
Happy flying ! Tass. x

nikkers Aug 2nd 2004 8:59 pm

Originally posted by Tass
Nikki , sent you P.M. few days ago regarding similar topic. Let me know if you got it , if not I've sent it to totally wrong person !!
Happy flying ! Tass. x

Tass mate

Thanks got your email:D

Talk again in 2 wks I'll text you:D

Nikkixx

Tass Aug 2nd 2004 9:53 pm

Tass mate

Thanks got your email:D

Talk again in 2 wks I'll text you:D

Nikkixx
Why are you here ? Go and pack your bags !! Have a drink and get mega excited ! Have no money in my phone right now , but will find it to let you know if visa comes in whilst you away. Have a great time !!! Love Tass. x :cool: :D

jodesmc Aug 19th 2004 12:25 pm

Abbreviation i always found confused most people was APO- acute pulmonary oedema. no-one ever got it.

christine2000 Aug 20th 2004 8:06 pm

I am an Enrolled nurse presently doing my conversion to registered and hoping to move to perth when I qualify to work. Does anyone know if I would qualify for a sponsered visa when newly qualified? Also if diploma level is acceptable for there level one registration or will I need to go to degree level?

neil&momo Aug 20th 2004 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by christine2000
I am an Enrolled nurse presently doing my conversion to registered and hoping to move to perth when I qualify to work. Does anyone know if I would qualify for a sponsered visa when newly qualified? Also if diploma level is acceptable for there level one registration or will I need to go to degree level?

Hi Christine,
Diploma level is absolutley fine for level 1 registration. I worked in Oz for 1 year, I have a Health Studies Diploma not a Nursing one and I had no trouble registering with NSW, Queensland and WA nurses boards, I've also passed the skills assessment with ANCI for PR visa. Not sure about being sponsored straight from qualifying though! Generally they like 1-2 years experience but you will have experience as an enrolled nurse so should be fine I'm sure. There are loads of agencies give them a ring or e-mail they will tell you straight away. Do a search for Nursing employment Australia it brings up quite a few.
Good Luck Marie :)

arlene Aug 22nd 2004 1:40 am

if you are being sponsored (correct me if im wrong) then you only need 6 months out of the last 12 months experience, thats how i went

arlene

christine2000 Aug 22nd 2004 10:08 am

Originally Posted by arlene
if you are being sponsored (correct me if im wrong) then you only need 6 months out of the last 12 months experience, thats how i went

arlene

Thanks very much for yoor reply feeling a little less stressed. How do you find working in SA as we first considered there as it seemed easier to get a sponsor. We then meet a aus nurse in our local hospital and she has said she will help from that end when she returns to perth at christmas.