nurses' maternity leave & benefits

Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:40 am
Just Joined

chin-chin will become famous soon enoughchin-chin will become famous soon enough
Default nurses' maternity leave & benefits

Hi everyone! I just want some help with regards to maternity benefits in Oz. I have a job offer as a nurse in Melbourne and in the process of sponsorship. Before I decide on this BIG move i was wondering if someone can give me ideas on maternity benefits such as how long it is and how much is paid. I have to think twice about this as here in the UK it has changed starting this March from 6 months maternity leave to 9 months which is paid all throughout. I already have a 3 yr old daughter and still planning to have another child. I am thinking if I am better off having my next child whilst here in the UK if maternity benefits in Oz is not that great. And thinking about it I might have to put off my plan in coming over to Australia and scared that by the time i am ready nurses will no longer be a job in demand.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice
Default Re: nurses' maternity leave & benefits

Depends on the health trust that you are with. Our health trust gives me 14 weeks fully paid maternity (or 28 weeks half pay). You can then take up to 1 year unpaid as well, plus of course, any holidays that you are owed. Maternity benefits are not a given here, so don't expect fabulous benefits. Personally if it were me and money was very tight then I would be having the babies in the UK but if your financial situation isn't too bad then come over and have an aussie baby.

I do prefer UK midwives as from what I have seen and heard here the system is a little behind and you may notice the difference in the maternity unit when you come over. Saying that, where I live there is a huge rise in baby making!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:04 am
Just Joined

chin-chin will become famous soon enoughchin-chin will become famous soon enough

so it depends really on each hospital, i thought it is the same here in the UK where there is standardized maternity grant. i might have to clear it then with the hospital i will be working for.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

No I think its different for every health trust and every state that you work in. Thats the thing here, even money is different in every state i.e..... I earn more in NSW than what I would do in SA and so on....Its mind boggling but I keep thinking that its not the UK its like America with the politics of it all.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

SenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really niceSenoraJo is just really nice

Originally Posted by chin-chin
so it depends really on each hospital, i thought it is the same here in the UK where there is standardized maternity grant. i might have to clear it then with the hospital i will be working for.
Hedgehog - girl is spot on! I am in NSW and just about to go on mat leave. I have chosen 28 weeks at half pay. One other thing here is that if you take a year off, or as I am doing and return part time only, you still keep your full time status for two years ie: if after that time you want to return to full time then you still have a ft job to go back to! In addition, if you fall pregant again within that time period, you get ft mat pay, even if you have only returned pt. Having said all that, and including the $4000 baby bonus, still not as good as UK I don't think. And will vary between employers and regions as HG has said. We are at least better off than those in private companies. My accountant friend "gets" 12 weeks unpaid only - lucky her!!

Have fun practicing while you decide

Jo x