Newly qualified staff nurses on £2 an hour??

Old Feb 17th 2007, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

mo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nice
Exclamation Newly qualified staff nurses on £2 an hour??

Has anyone heard this rumour?? In our trust (and prob most others) lots of wards have closed down and there are really no Staff Nurse posts avail. The majority of newly qualified nurses are taking up HCA posts to keep their pensions/options open, to maintain the mortgage etc., but unfortunately won't gain any RGN experience. We've heard that if they want to practice as a staff nurse then they can do so voluntarily and in doing so gain experience, meds, taking charge etc for when (if) a post ever becomes available!! The trust will pay them £2 an hour for goodwill...............god, what is the NHS coming to?? I've lost count of the people who are after my job when/if i get my visa........ has anyone come across this??????????????
Old Feb 18th 2007, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Newly qualified staff nurses on £2 an hour??

Originally Posted by mo33
Has anyone heard this rumour?? In our trust (and prob most others) lots of wards have closed down and there are really no Staff Nurse posts avail. The majority of newly qualified nurses are taking up HCA posts to keep their pensions/options open, to maintain the mortgage etc., but unfortunately won't gain any RGN experience. We've heard that if they want to practice as a staff nurse then they can do so voluntarily and in doing so gain experience, meds, taking charge etc for when (if) a post ever becomes available!! The trust will pay them £2 an hour for goodwill...............god, what is the NHS coming to?? I've lost count of the people who are after my job when/if i get my visa........ has anyone come across this??????????????
Haven't heard that one but before I came away my trust was offering newly qualified 'perceptorship' . This was for 3 months and they were to be paid at much lower rate then AFC. Think it was about £15k a year and then no job after the 3 months!! This way the trust got nurses every 3 months that were paid less then the rest of us and didn't get increments!
Tracie
Old Feb 18th 2007, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

chzza is an unknown quantity at this point

i take it you're on about AP hospital?? is that the case at the royal and BG too?? i'm 2nd yr at U of L. so worried bout not being able to find a job when i finish.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

heard about it and think it is disgusting plus more fool the students who use it to gain RN experience because if something should go wrong they won't have any support. Not that I want anything to go wrong
Old Feb 18th 2007, 10:47 am
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

There's a bit about this in the nursing standard

http://www.nursing-standard.co.uk/thisweek/news1.asp
Old Feb 18th 2007, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

mo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nicemo33 is just really nice

Originally Posted by chzza
i take it you're on about AP hospital?? is that the case at the royal and BG too?? i'm 2nd yr at U of L. so worried bout not being able to find a job when i finish.
chzza- I've sent you a pm!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 12:52 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
There's a bit about this in the nursing standard

http://www.nursing-standard.co.uk/thisweek/news1.asp
bloomin heck , will take this into work tomorrow, this'll cause a storm
Old Feb 20th 2007, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Do you AP as in Arrowe Park Hospital? God if so, then thats awful. Thats where I trained and worked for my first year. So glad I came out here now.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

chzza is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
Do you AP as in Arrowe Park Hospital? God if so, then thats awful. Thats where I trained and worked for my first year. So glad I came out here now.
yeah i meant Arrowe but apparently thats not where its happening. i had a placement there in 1st yr, i hated it.