Mental Health Scenarios

Old Feb 12th 2008, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice
Default Mental Health Scenarios

My wife is a mental health nurse and has an interview in 2 weeks in Manchester with Queensland Health. After looking on the forum it is apparent that the interview consists mainly of scenarios. Can anyone offer any examples of the type of scenarios. Many Thanks
Old Feb 15th 2008, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mental Health Scenarios

What area of mental health?
Level 1, (reg. MHN) Level 2 (Clinical nurse) or Level 3 (Clinical Nurse Consultant)???
Old Feb 15th 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

katamina will become famous soon enoughkatamina will become famous soon enough

I was asked about an emergency involuntary admission happening 'out of hours', so how would I manage the situation.

Which was bit of a bugger as I've not done acutes since my training
Old Feb 15th 2008, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

humpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nicehumpy is just really nice

My wife is a level 1 rmn
Old Feb 15th 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

vlooi is a jewel in the roughvlooi is a jewel in the roughvlooi is a jewel in the roughvlooi is a jewel in the roughvlooi is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by katamina
I was asked about an emergency involuntary admission happening 'out of hours', so how would I manage the situation.

Which was bit of a bugger as I've not done acutes since my training
I had the same scenario; if I remember correct it was about a patient who took an overdose being admitted on a Sunday afternoon etc. My response was to do with checking the section papers, evaluate medical condition of patient, checking vital signs and level of consciousness, check medical report form hospital re procedures done like stomach washout, search belongings for stuff like tablets, razors, belts etc, determine level of risk and then level of observation for patient eg. notify doctor on call, nurse in charge etc.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond reputeAlison1967 has a reputation beyond repute

Most nurses here are dual trained so there may be a physical aspect to the scenario that needs addressing.

Scenarios I have used recently are:
Patient out in the sun for over four hours on a 40oC + day
Two patients fighting on ward
Out of hours admissions or transfers in and out
patient and visitor complaints
De-escalation of verbally aggressive patient
Use of seclusion
Understanding of state mental health act

Only ask two scenarios in the interview though

Your wife should feel confident UK nurses are in high demand due to working in a comparable health service which is easily transferable to here.
Interviews are more informal than UK (thats my personal experience) and if she is unclear she can ask for clarification.

Good luck to your wife with the interview, sure she'll breeze through.

I/V trick I use as i get nervous is have a drink of water and take a sip before i answer which gives me a moment before i have to answer

Ali
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by humpy
My wife is a mental health nurse and has an interview in 2 weeks in Manchester with Queensland Health. After looking on the forum it is apparent that the interview consists mainly of scenarios. Can anyone offer any examples of the type of scenarios. Many Thanks
A load of us got interviewed March 07 and there's a big long thread somewhere with all the details you're after. just do a search..for something like manchester interview qld health.
Old Mar 13th 2008, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

mooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to allmooncat is a name known to all

Originally Posted by mooncat
A load of us got interviewed March 07 and there's a big long thread somewhere with all the details you're after. just do a search..for something like manchester interview qld health.
Oh bugger, didn't look at the date on your message! How did the interview go? Did she get the job?
Old Mar 14th 2008, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Oh bugger, didn't look at the date on your message! How did the interview go? Did she get the job?
The interview went well, my wife said it wasn't as simple as some people on this forum had suggested. They offered her a job and one of the interviewers offered her a post straight away in Cairns, but we want to move to Brisbane/Gold Coast. She works in forensic mental health over here but they have told her over there she will have to do general mental health and work towards forensics. We have now put our house up for sale and we know that QH have already requested the references, she has sent off for he Queenslands nurses reg. Everything is moving at at a steady pace, once house goes we are off...
Old Mar 14th 2008, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Angib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant futureAngib has a brilliant future

How is the process going humpy - i had my interview today and offered post on the spot 'Townsville' can't believe its all happening now- i'm still waiting on my registration so hopefully that will be through by the time they get refs and police check done. Good luck on yours
Old Mar 20th 2008, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by humpy
The interview went well, my wife said it wasn't as simple as some people on this forum had suggested. They offered her a job and one of the interviewers offered her a post straight away in Cairns, but we want to move to Brisbane/Gold Coast. She works in forensic mental health over here but they have told her over there she will have to do general mental health and work towards forensics. We have now put our house up for sale and we know that QH have already requested the references, she has sent off for he Queenslands nurses reg. Everything is moving at at a steady pace, once house goes we are off...
I don't think thats strictly true actually. It's just that they are under so much pressure to recruit esp to places like Cairns/Townsville which are in the middle of nowhere. I got the push for Cairns/Townsville but stuck to my guns and am in the Gold Coast.

Have you had any direct contact with any of the forensic units and been told the same thing by them? If forensics are your bag then I would be looking at exhausting that side of things first and not just believe what they tell you in the interview.
Old Mar 20th 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

katamina will become famous soon enoughkatamina will become famous soon enough

In my interview, they told me that they DO want me to work in forensics, most likely medium security, so, if that's her niche, I'd stick with it.

Jo

Btw...the wait is HUGELY frustrating
Old Mar 20th 2008, 11:35 am
BE Enthusiast

I don't think thats strictly true actually. It's just that they are under so much pressure to recruit esp to places like Cairns/Townsville which are in the middle of nowhere. I got the push for Cairns/Townsville but stuck to my guns and am in the Gold Coast.

Have you had any direct contact with any of the forensic units and been told the same thing by them? If forensics are your bag then I would be looking at exhausting that side of things first and not just believe what they tell you in the interview.

Totally agree with mooncat, got offered lots of jobs but stuck to my guns Level 2 (clinical nurse) Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit and got offered what I wanted, did 9 1/2 yrs forensic nursing in uk and wanted lower acruity in oz. wrangle and if they aren't interested move on!

Good luck with it.................. Ali

Last edited by Alison1967; Mar 20th 2008 at 11:36 am. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 21st 2008, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

Sorry to interrupt i have picked up on your name MOONCAT ?. and Manchester,?
I am from the north and at school knew someone by the nick name mooncat, Were are you from.... . If you wont to say that is.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alison1967
Totally agree with mooncat, got offered lots of jobs but stuck to my guns Level 2 (clinical nurse) Psychiatric Intensive Care Unit and got offered what I wanted, did 9 1/2 yrs forensic nursing in uk and wanted lower acruity in oz. wrangle and if they aren't interested move on!

Good luck with it.................. Ali

My wife has only been qualified a year and went straight into forensics, it's the area she most wanted as she also has a degree in psycology & criminology. She wants do get some acute experience to start with in Oz and work her way into forensics over time. She has been told that forensics in Oz is way different than here and wants to go into it with more experience under her belt. Can anyone answer how long it took to get to Oz from the initial QH interview. Cheers