Looking for advice on the caring profession

Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

rogsheff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Looking for advice on the caring profession

I am moving to Vancouver this year. I am after advice as regards a role in the caring profession and whether it is realistic to achieve this at my age, 49.

My thoughts are that I would be prepared to work in a care home or a hospital. (There is the relative job security of working for an organisation like a hospital. For example, I have been looking at the website for St Paul's on Burrard) As a Health Support Worker in a hospital I realise it would mean having to deal with the practicalities of helping people in every way. I am okay with that, providing I do not end up being a general dogs body. Working for an employer that does not provide the necessary training and support, with no opportunity to progress. However, providing there was some opportunity to study and earn an income and not remain on the minimum wage, I would be prepared to do whatever is necessary.

I am thinking, a hospital environment, maybe the better option. A
larger organisation, with resources to provide training and support and
because of it's size, hopefully, opportunities to progress will come up from time to time. I realise that to train as a nurse would be totally unrealistic and to be honest, I do not think I could cope with the studying and exams, because of the high standard required.

The other possibility, is to use the office based skills I have, but in an environment or for an organisation that is not purely money driven. Where I could have a more direct impact on the service or help I can give
people. For example, I might be better suited as a medical records clerk.

Any suggestions of roles I could consider, even if they are based around my office experience, would give me 'food for thought'. Baring
in mind, I would need to be earning to meet commitments.

Thank you.
Roger
Old Feb 5th 2008, 9:51 pm
ab uno disce omnes

PJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nicePJMA is just really nice
Default Re: Looking for advice on the caring profession

Originally Posted by rogsheff
I am moving to Vancouver this year. I am after advice as regards a role in the caring profession and whether it is realistic to achieve this at my age, 49.

My thoughts are that I would be prepared to work in a care home or a hospital. (There is the relative job security of working for an organisation like a hospital. For example, I have been looking at the website for St Paul's on Burrard) As a Health Support Worker in a hospital I realise it would mean having to deal with the practicalities of helping people in every way. I am okay with that, providing I do not end up being a general dogs body. Working for an employer that does not provide the necessary training and support, with no opportunity to progress. However, providing there was some opportunity to study and earn an income and not remain on the minimum wage, I would be prepared to do whatever is necessary.

I am thinking, a hospital environment, maybe the better option. A
larger organisation, with resources to provide training and support and
because of it's size, hopefully, opportunities to progress will come up from time to time. I realise that to train as a nurse would be totally unrealistic and to be honest, I do not think I could cope with the studying and exams, because of the high standard required.

The other possibility, is to use the office based skills I have, but in an environment or for an organisation that is not purely money driven. Where I could have a more direct impact on the service or help I can give
people. For example, I might be better suited as a medical records clerk.

Any suggestions of roles I could consider, even if they are based around my office experience, would give me 'food for thought'. Baring
in mind, I would need to be earning to meet commitments.

Thank you.
Roger
Hi Roger,

Sorry I can't give you any suggestions of role, but why have you ruled out going into nursing. Some people go into nursing with no life skills or experience, a very few like yourself entering into nursing with a lot of essential skills from being around for a bit. I did my training with someone who was in their late 40's and they brought into the classroom a whole load of skills, knowledge, opinions and experiences. There are courses which you can do to bring your academic standards up to speed and most tutors will help you if your having difficulties. The best thing about being older is having the courage to ask for help. At least look into it, what have you got to loose. Your office skills will be helpful in your studies and as a nurse. You still have 15+ years of working to be squeezed out of you. Why not make some enquires at least.

Good luck.
Paul
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

rogsheff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Looking for advice on the caring profession

PJMA thanks for the encouraging comments. The opportunity of going to Canada and having to find a job also seems an ideal opportunity to consider other job possibilities, rather than just fall into a similar role to what I am doing now, which I am not happy in. I certainly intend to look into the possibilities. Thanks again.