to all you midwives - help pls!

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

vickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to all
Default to all you midwives - help pls!

hi just wondering if any of you may be able to help me? i have now got my 175 visa and in the process of updating my cv. i have had skills assessed and registered with nbwa as reg midwife but left midwifery in sept 2006 to work in icu! basically not that i didn't like the job but the working conditions and there were no other jobs available locally.

i am feeling really nervous now about practising as a midwife again (was only working as one for approx 18 months) but this is really want i want to do, i realised that in the first week of my new job but unfortunately due to the job situation.....

my questions are do you think hospitals in oz will consider me having not practised for 16 months and do you think they will offer me somesort of preceptorship or support? also if i get an interview what do you think they will ask me - obstetric emergencies, breastfeeding probs?

thnx for reading and any help appreciated
vicky
Old Feb 4th 2008, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Caddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really niceCaddy the cat lover is just really nice
Default Re: to all you midwives - help pls!

Originally Posted by vickyandrob
hi just wondering if any of you may be able to help me? i have now got my 175 visa and in the process of updating my cv. i have had skills assessed and registered with nbwa as reg midwife but left midwifery in sept 2006 to work in icu! basically not that i didn't like the job but the working conditions and there were no other jobs available locally.

i am feeling really nervous now about practising as a midwife again (was only working as one for approx 18 months) but this is really want i want to do, i realised that in the first week of my new job but unfortunately due to the job situation.....

my questions are do you think hospitals in oz will consider me having not practised for 16 months and do you think they will offer me somesort of preceptorship or support? also if i get an interview what do you think they will ask me - obstetric emergencies, breastfeeding probs?

vicky
Vicky,

Dont panic luv, it's just like riding a bike !!
Get the Midwifery text books out and have another read. Protocols and guidelines change but the practice of delivering a baby dosent !
You'll be great !!

I am fairly sure that they will welcome you with open arms.
I think you must be totally honest with them and explain the situation.
At interview you can ask about mentorship and support and from what I am reading, I would suggest a public hospital in preference to a private one as they seem to offer more support.

Send your CV and see what happens
Good luck xx

Alison x
Old Feb 6th 2008, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

vickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to allvickyandrob is a name known to all

thnx alison, i have been swatting a bit lately and like you say i will probably be ok once back into practice. just finished nights so got a few days now to spruce up cv!

keep you updated
vicky
Old Feb 6th 2008, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

charlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud ofcharlie-k has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by vickyandrob

vicky
hI vICKY,
I had a telephone interview early January.
The interviewer was lovely and really put me at ease. I had all the obstetric emergency procedures to the ready in case my mind went blank (it didn't as it happened!)
I also had a copy of the new NICE guidelines with me and pointed out a couple of interesting things in it. She wanted to know about my experiences and if I was a good all rounder and we talked about dignity, documentation etc.
As already said, don't panic, lay it on the line and be honest. You could email a couple of hospitals and ask their advice.
Good luck.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

noofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nicenoofie is just really nice

Vicky,

Relax you will be fine.

I still work as a Midwife but haven't done so on labour ward since I had a serious illness two years ago.

I had an interview with Queensland Health and explained the situation and they still welcomed me with open arms and said they were willing to support me as much as I needed if I wanted to return to labour ward. If I didn't that was fine too as I still do ante and post natal plus the peadiatric newborn checks.

Just remember they are very keen to have us.

Jackie
x