How many UK nurses taken caeer break

Old Feb 22nd 2008, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold
Default How many UK nurses asked for career break,and got it?

I have recently started working for Royal Childrens Brisbane (community) during induction I was amazed at how many uk nurses have been able to come over on a career break even on permanent visas. I asked my old employer before I came and was told that you cant work whilst on a career break. However, most people seemed to have got it under agenda for change clause 36.7. Anyone else in the same boat

Last edited by tillysmum; Feb 22nd 2008 at 9:21 am.
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How many UK nurses taken caeer break

I used to work with someone who initially took 6 months careers break and extended it to 9 months and would have gone for longer but manager put her foot down and wouldn't agree to further extention as was not agreed initially. She worked in a few places in Australia

When I first discussed going to the US with my then general manager he wanted me to take a career break (no pay) until I had decided what I wanted ie stay in the US or come back home and atleast I would have job protection.
Old Feb 26th 2008, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

cathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the roughcathy_rainbow is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: How many UK nurses asked for career break,and got it?

Originally Posted by tillysmum
I have recently started working for Royal Childrens Brisbane (community) during induction I was amazed at how many uk nurses have been able to come over on a career break even on permanent visas. I asked my old employer before I came and was told that you cant work whilst on a career break. However, most people seemed to have got it under agenda for change clause 36.7. Anyone else in the same boat
Hi,

I am in Tassie on a career break with a perm residancy visa (only option due to my advanced age!!). I can have 1 year off and get my exact level 7 job back or 2 years off and get "a" level 7 job on my return.

My boss swung the "no working " clause cos of the self developement issue.

I start as a Level 1 nurse in LGH on monday!

Yike.....

Cathy
Old Feb 27th 2008, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

Hi thanks for that it just adds more weight to my arguement with my old HR dept.
I hope its cheaper to live down there just got my first wage hubby not been able to get any job yet even as a public toilet cleaner (far cry from being a firefighter for 32 years)
Old Feb 27th 2008, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

madmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud ofmadmidwife has much to be proud of

Thanks for starting this thread, I will try and see if my current employer will let me swing this.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 8:27 pm
playing the angel

tinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond repute

I got a 5 year career break from my employer, no questions.
They can guarantee me a position at the grade I left, but not on the unit I used to work on.
Also had to terminate my current contract.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

I would strongly recomend taking a career break if at all possible I am going to try and push for one retrospectively by getting the union involved. I was desperate to come to OZ and like the people and country but work is very very different and cost of living is rocketing. Got my first wage yesterday and relality set in our rent is almost 50% of my wage and hubby struggling to find a job depsite applying for loads.
So if you can get that safety net in place just in case it all goes pear shaped