Health Visitor needs help finding work

Old Feb 2nd 2007, 11:46 am
Ash
Just Joined

Ash is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Health Visitor needs help finding work

Hi,
I am currently a Health Visitor in the Uk.Haven't worked in acure care setting for approximately 5 years although have experience in several specialities. I am aware r=that they don't have Health Visitors in Australia but hoping to get a job in Community Child health. Finding it really Difficult. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 12:12 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Health Visitor needs help finding work

Originally Posted by Ash
Hi,
I am currently a Health Visitor in the Uk.Haven't worked in acure care setting for approximately 5 years although have experience in several specialities. I am aware r=that they don't have Health Visitors in Australia but hoping to get a job in Community Child health. Finding it really Difficult. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
Silverchain are the care in the community in Western Australia not sure of the ones in the rest of Oz but there are community posts available I am sure...try contacting local GP's as a start maybe? I am not sure if the health visitors are linked to the GP's there but its worth a go and maybe they can point you in the right direction...will have a look at all my info if I find something relevent will post it for you xx Good Luck
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 12:15 pm
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachie241
Silverchain are the care in the community in Western Australia not sure of the ones in the rest of Oz but there are community posts available I am sure...try contacting local GP's as a start maybe? I am not sure if the health visitors are linked to the GP's there but its worth a go and maybe they can point you in the right direction...will have a look at all my info if I find something relevent will post it for you xx Good Luck
http://www.health.wa.gov.au/jobs/jobs.cfm
Try here for a start I am sure if you email them they can point you in the right direction ? You need child health I know...and I know its in WA but will find some more if I can xx
Old Feb 2nd 2007, 12:18 pm
Here at last!

http://www.cyh.com/SubContent.aspx?p=322

http://www.cyh.com/Content.aspx?p=310
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 8:37 am
Ash
Just Joined

Smile Re: Health Visitor needs help finding work

Thanks for that Rachie, I forgot to mention that I was planning on going to Brisbane but I will have a look at the websites coz I'm sure they will help! wot kind of job are you looking for? x
Old Feb 3rd 2007, 2:41 pm
Here at last!

Originally Posted by Ash
Thanks for that Rachie, I forgot to mention that I was planning on going to Brisbane but I will have a look at the websites coz I'm sure they will help! wot kind of job are you looking for? x
Oppps well at least I tried lol
I am a community based nurse in the Uk so looking for similar, but I am not sure I may give the hospitals another try...
Old Feb 4th 2007, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

fillinghams is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

I am a Health Visitor and movng over to Aus in April/May once the visa arrives. When i was looking for work in Aus the hospitals and agencies thought i woudl want community based work and told me the jobs were sought after in Aus and as such Aus based nurses got them first. As it happens i did not want community based nursing, as i much prefer the acute work. I was out of the hospitals for 4 years and did not find it difficult to find work in the acute sector at all.

But to ensure my place in Aus I gave up my Health Visiting job, no great hardship i I did find it very boring, but that is another thread.

So I took a staff nursing post until we move out. You could get a nursing post and then apply for community based work, if all else fails.

Craig
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:15 am
Ash
Just Joined

HI Craig,
Are you working in the acute sector at present so that you have some recent experience. I was thinking about doing some bank work as a back up just in case. I wouldn't mind working in ITU as I do have some critical care experience but it is a bit dusty at the moment.
Old Feb 5th 2007, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

fillinghams is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

I went back into Nursing because i wanted to ensure I got work in Aus. I was already offered nursing posts, but i didnt want to put these at risk if the sale of my house took ages or any other delays occurred. I didnt want to be in the position of the hospitals questioning my recent experience, and me struggling to get back into nursing over here as i had been out to long.

Getting the job over here was a short turn measure that has allowed my skills to be upto date and relevent. I am working on peads hdu

I was going to go on the bank, but thought in for a penny..........

Good luck,

Craig