Oz visa application - What counts as work experience?

Old Feb 4th 2007, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

chequer is on a distinguished road
Default Oz visa application - What counts as work experience?

Hi everyone, I'm about to apply to work in Australia but I've hit a concern about whether my working experience will qualify.

Although I qualified 7 years ago, I've only worked part time since the birth of my 5 year old. That included a range of day surgery, surgical ward, district, paediatrics, general bank and ICU.

Does anyone know if part-time will count as sufficient work experience for the Australian visa application?

Any help gratefully received.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

emmajjpaul is a jewel in the roughemmajjpaul is a jewel in the roughemmajjpaul is a jewel in the roughemmajjpaul is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Oz visa application - What counts as work experience?

i am in a similiar position, have spoken to 2 immigration agents who said i dont qulify for the extra 5 points for work experience as i have been p/t for years. I think the general rule is 21hrs per week for over 12months is minimum.

therefore i am 5 points down for a pr visa unless i get a job offer, but who's going to offer a job to someone who has'nt evan applied for a visa yet......because i dont know what i can apply for........argh.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:24 pm

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

Hiya,
I think you need a minimum of 20 hrs per week for 12 months out of the last 18 months.You need to be able to prove it too.Your employer should be able to help with this.Otherwise you could try the Employer Nomination Scheme where you only need 3 years post reg experience.I had time off after having the kids and this is the option I chose.
Andy
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

chzza is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alana and Arrons mum
Hiya,
I think you need a minimum of 20 hrs per week for 12 months out of the last 18 months.You need to be able to prove it too.Your employer should be able to help with this.Otherwise you could try the Employer Nomination Scheme where you only need 3 years post reg experience.I had time off after having the kids and this is the option I chose.
Andy
i've been wondering bout the experience too. i wanna apply for a 136. do you need the 12 months definitely to have the visa accepted or is it just to get the extra 5 points?
do student placements count or is it post reg only?
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:32 pm

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

not sure sorry! I think post reg experience is needed though.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

emmajjpaul is a jewel in the roughemmajjpaul is a jewel in the roughemmajjpaul is a jewel in the roughemmajjpaul is a jewel in the rough

Hiya,
Andy
is this what people call the sponsored option, where you have to stay with the hospital that employs you for the whole agreed length of contract,
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:35 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chzza
i've been wondering bout the experience too. i wanna apply for a 136. do you need the 12 months definitely to have the visa accepted or is it just to get the extra 5 points?
12 months in the 18 months before application is to meet the basic requirements for 136 (for a nurse). If you don't have this they will refuse your application before they even look at the points test.

If you go for state sponsored 134 visa, you only need 6 months work experience.

Pre-qualification experience is unlikely to count. Post-reg, 20+ hours per week.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

chzza is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
12 months in the 18 months before application is to meet the basic requirements for 136 (for a nurse). If you don't have this they will refuse your application before they even look at the points test.

If you go for state sponsored 134 visa, you only need 6 months work experience.

Pre-qualification experience is unlikely to count. Post-reg, 20+ hours per week.
thanx for your help
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chzza
i think it's just for the 5 extra points. try asking on the nurses forum. see the bottom of the page in right hand corner. (forum jump)

Last edited by emmajjpaul; Feb 4th 2007 at 7:38 pm. Reason: addition of info
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:39 pm

Yes but I am going to paediatric oncology,which is what I do here.I also have friends on the ward so I think it will be OK.I will get permanent residency so I think I will probably just have to pay them the money back if I leave early.You are expected to stay for 3 years though.Its not an option for everyone but for me it was the best way to go.
Andy
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmajjpaul
i think it's just for the 5 extra points. try asking on the nurses forum.
That may be well meaning advice but it is completely wrong.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

glad you put me right, it's all so confusing and i am learning so much every time i read a thread. i would hate to answer someone with wrong advice as it means so much to get it right first time .
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

Yes but I am going to paediatric oncology,which is what I do here.I also have friends on the ward so I think it will be OK.I will get permanent residency so I think I will probably just have to pay them the money back if I leave early.You are expected to stay for 3 years though.Its not an option for everyone but for me it was the best way to go.
Andy
did you go direct to the hospital or through an agency, i've heard such mixed reports about agencies although they seem very confident.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

chequer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by emmajjpaul
did you go direct to the hospital or through an agency, i've heard such mixed reports about agencies although they seem very confident.
This may blow our plan out of the water for a bit though. I've only been doing 21hrs a week since December. I've been given a lead on a sponsored visa/job but it'll mean working full time and I'm not sure the family is ready for that if my husband also is searching for work.

However, given that the requirement is 21hrs a week for 12 months, I could apply in December. I've got age on my side, whereas my husband will lose 5 points because of age after August......oh the decisions you have to make....
Old Feb 4th 2007, 7:56 pm

Talking Re: Oz visa application - What counts as work experience?

I placed my cv on the QLD health authorities Website and the hospital contacted me directly.I then had a telephone interview and was offered the job.My employer then lodged the ENS application with the DIC and i have just lodged mine last week.We have a case officer already and hope to have a visa within 2 months.We plan to move out at the beginning of May(fingers crossed!)
Andy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.