General Advice Re: Temp or Perm Visa

Old Jan 29th 2005, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

numbers is on a distinguished road
Smile General Advice Re: Temp or Perm Visa

Hi, Just to give you all a little background. My Partner who is a Nurse has been offered a job in Sydney through one of the UK Agencies. As you know they arrange the Visa (Temp im sure). Ive been reading these threads for sometime now, but only now feel i should dip in and say Hi, and ask for loads of advice.

My name is Tony and im an Accountant (public Sector so no im not well paid) and we do dream of the move to Ozz. Anyway cut a long story short as i know youve seen loads of these stories, but im starting to worry about the Temp/Perm Visa thing. There tends to be a bad feel about the temp visas. Il be posting loads of questions over the coming months so hopefully i wont piss people off with my lack of knowledge and im sure you will have answered these 10 times over. Can i start with my first main question?

I know we can get this temp visa sorted, but if i want to go for the perm one, what do i need to do, can someone give me a ball park timescale and costs please? also has anybody gone over on a temp and succeeded? Thats itfor now, il speak again later. Thanks for listening. Tony
Old Jan 29th 2005, 10:32 pm
ad4ozz

Default Re: General Advice Re: Temp or Perm Visa

Hi Tony ,

from what I've gathered agencies just want to get you there quick so push you to have temp res visa. That way you spend a fair bit of money around £500 to £700 mark inc. medicals then have to do it all again in couple of years to get permanent visa and shell out all over again etc.

Personally we chose to go for Permanent visa from the start.

If your wife is under 40 she should have 125 points or more if younger…more than enough at present as on model in demand list and only need 120 at present. Will cost if like us family of three, 2 adults one child, around £1,400 for visa including medicals but then if you like it you can stay for good and apply for citizenship if you stay in country for 2 years. Breakdown of costs see my signature and others.

Unless you are desperate there seems to be plenty of jobs around so as long as your wife has 2 years post reg the short of it is I personally recommend the Skilled Independent Permanent Resident 136 visa.

Time frame look at my signature and others, so far we have been on a few month so far and didn’t front load medicals so waiting for Oz to ask for them. Front loaded everything else though. Also, this way gives you a little breather to get things together and get used to going for good... :scared: .

Hope that helps... .

PS for PR Visa hubby and children go on the back of the nurse family member.

Old Jan 30th 2005, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: General Advice Re: Temp or Perm Visa

Hello Tony ! Have just finished replying to "nursing in sydney" and then read this. I have posted my thoughts to you in that above thread and hope you read it.If after reading it , you are not deeply offended and want to ask anything futher please feel free , I would be delighted to help where I can.
All the best to you and your wife , good luck , Tass.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 6:20 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with ad4ozz, sadly in retrospect - I came out on a 457 visa - on the 12th of this month, and while this is not really a problem in itself, I have this big fear that I am going to have to leave this beautiful country. My work contract is for 2 years initially, but my visa ended up as being for a year only!! Apparently, I took over someone elses nomination (who had pulled out). I am now applying for PR (SI), so that: 1) I don't get thrown out of the country; 2) I have the rights/security which go with PR; 3) I have more freedom to choose the work I want to do, and hours ( in the UK, I was working very long hours, and I've not come here to fall in that trap again and 4) although I have only just got here, by applying for PR now, I will not have to dole out the cash for more PCCs and medicals (also mine were lost - and I don't want to have to go through THAT again!)

One thing to bear in mind on a temp visa is that you are beholden to the nominator for the duration of your visa/nomination - whereas with PR you have choice of employment/movement etc

I have no issue with the agency or hospital btw, just feel that I want that further security.

Good luck with whatever decision you make, Cas
Old Jan 30th 2005, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
I agree with ad4ozz, sadly in retrospect - I came out on a 457 visa - on the 12th of this month, and while this is not really a problem in itself, I have this big fear that I am going to have to leave this beautiful country. My work contract is for 2 years initially, but my visa ended up as being for a year only!! Apparently, I took over someone elses nomination (who had pulled out). I am now applying for PR (SI), so that: 1) I don't get thrown out of the country; 2) I have the rights/security which go with PR; 3) I have more freedom to choose the work I want to do, and hours ( in the UK, I was working very long hours, and I've not come here to fall in that trap again and 4) although I have only just got here, by applying for PR now, I will not have to dole out the cash for more PCCs and medicals (also mine were lost - and I don't want to have to go through THAT again!)

One thing to bear in mind on a temp visa is that you are beholden to the nominator for the duration of your visa/nomination - whereas with PR you have choice of employment/movement etc

I have no issue with the agency or hospital btw, just feel that I want that further security.

Good luck with whatever decision you make, Cas

Cas, thaks for your reply. Can you tell me a bit more about your temp visa, what else cant you do?, how much did it cost getting your temp visa, and is it more hassle getting a PR now your over there than you would have done here?, again is it more costly?, can you apply then for a PR at anytime when you get there on your temp? As yet we have been told of no costs associated with getting this temp visa. so far only sheled out for NMC letter and application to NSW Nursing Board... i really am trying to get a feel whats best to do, hows it working out for you? Kind Regards Tony
Old Jan 30th 2005, 12:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tass
Hello Tony ! Have just finished replying to "nursing in sydney" and then read this. I have posted my thoughts to you in that above thread and hope you read it.If after reading it , you are not deeply offended and want to ask anything futher please feel free , I would be delighted to help where I can.
All the best to you and your wife , good luck , Tass.
Tass yes thankyou i have seen your reply and thanks, i am taking it all on board and asking loads more questions!! i guess a site like this asnswers more questions than all the official ones put together, and im plased at the response and help people have given and its only my 3rd day on this, and il know il be on here for months. Can you tell me a bit more about Sydney, as in costs of living etc?, or shall i goto other thread for that? Many thanks so far, i hope i dont annoy you all for all my future silly questions. Kind Regards Tony
Old Jan 30th 2005, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ad4ozz
Hi Tony ,

from what I've gathered agencies just want to get you there quick so push you to have temp res visa. That way you spend a fair bit of money around £500 to £700 mark inc. medicals then have to do it all again in couple of years to get permanent visa and shell out all over again etc.

Personally we chose to go for Permanent visa from the start.

If your wife is under 40 she should have 125 points or more if younger…more than enough at present as on model in demand list and only need 120 at present. Will cost if like us family of three, 2 adults one child, around £1,400 for visa including medicals but then if you like it you can stay for good and apply for citizenship if you stay in country for 2 years. Breakdown of costs see my signature and others.

Unless you are desperate there seems to be plenty of jobs around so as long as your wife has 2 years post reg the short of it is I personally recommend the Skilled Independent Permanent Resident 136 visa.

Time frame look at my signature and others, so far we have been on a few month so far and didn’t front load medicals so waiting for Oz to ask for them. Front loaded everything else though. Also, this way gives you a little breather to get things together and get used to going for good... :scared: .

Hope that helps... .

PS for PR Visa hubby and children go on the back of the nurse family member.

Ad, many thanks for you response, can i ask some more questions please about this 136 visa?...did you come across any difficulties?, anything i should be weary of? also when are you hoping to go?, also i have read about "EXAMS" whats this all about, i know my partner who is the nurse will not be keen on more exams, will she need to do one?? also im her partner (were not married), will i still be on her visa or do i have to get my own? il have my own points as im a qualified accountant, but i want to save as much money as poss, as all our money is tied up in our house (as i guess moet people on here have), so trying to find about £1500 as it loks will be difficult... Many thanks so far, and speak soon, kind regards Tony
Old Jan 30th 2005, 1:12 pm
ad4ozz

You could both apply for your own PR visas probably the easy way if Partner not Hubby but you may not be fast tracked as appears to be happening with nurses. You would have to pay for two skills assessments is the only slight problem and maybe two visas instead of one so may increase the cost slightly but would still be worth the extra few hundred. Once partner had visa if she dodged in to Oz and back out to get her visa stamped she could wait for you.

We have not used agent as does not seem a need to pay someone else £1,000 to still have to fill in all the same forms anyway and provide all the same information as you do if doing it yourself.

Old Jan 30th 2005, 1:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ad4ozz
You could both apply for your own PR visas probably the easy way if Partner not Hubby but you may not be fast tracked as appears to be happening with nurses. You would have to pay for two skills assessments is the only slight problem and maybe two visas instead of one so may increase the cost slightly but would still be worth the extra few hundred. Once partner had visa if she dodged in to Oz and back out to get her visa stamped she could wait for you.

We have not used agent as does not seem a need to pay someone else £1,000 to still have to fill in all the same forms anyway and provide all the same information as you do if doing it yourself.

Hi can you tell me a little bit more about what a "Skills Assessment" is please?
cheers Tony
Old Jan 30th 2005, 1:17 pm
nursey

mandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of light

You can get some free advice from an agent, we had free advice from Go Matilda before we decided to use them, it has made things a little easier although you do still have a lot of running around yourself for the information need. You don't have to be married to have the 1 application as long as you can prove that you have been together for a number of years (joint mortgage, joint bank account, joint bills etc etc) but an agent will be able to tell you this.

Mandi
Old Jan 30th 2005, 1:19 pm
nursey

mandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of lightmandi248 is a glorious beacon of light

A skills assessment is an assessment that allows you to be able to apply for the 136 skilled migration application.
Old Jan 30th 2005, 4:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonyclark
Hi can you tell me a little bit more about what a "Skills Assessment" is please?
cheers Tony

Tony
You need to get yourself to the DIMIA website, http://www.immi.gov.au and start going through the Migration information. First port of call is General Skilled Migration, and make sure you download and read booklet 6.

Also take a look at Employer Nominated migration, and booklet 5.

The information is complex - don't expect to understand it in a day.

If you want, you can hire a migration agent (make sure you choose a good one) and pay for professional advice to guide you through the process.

An online forum can help here and there, but you really need to do your own research. Maybe also look at the Australia Immigration forum?

Jeremy
Old Jan 30th 2005, 4:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Cas, thaks for your reply. Can you tell me a bit more about your temp visa, what else cant you do?,

There are lots of issues with the temp visa. Read this thread:
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266447

It's safest and least stressful to get your PR visa first - then move.

NSW board registration is necessary to work in NSW. To apply for general skilled migration you need an ANMC skill assessment - however it's apparently simple to get this once you have NSW registration.

Jeremy
Old Jan 30th 2005, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Guys!!. ive started a new thread on the perm visa, ive got loads of questions. remember that its not me who is the principal applicant its my partner, so i dont always understand the terms. One quick question, it was said that we need to get application assessed by ANMC (im guessing Australiah Nursing and Midwifery Council???) but my partner has requested the NMC to send the New South Wales Nursing and Midwifery something or other)..whats this all about?, are these two separate things, not forgetting were still going through the sponsored application at present until i have finished my research on the Perm verus temp visa!! jeesh this is hard work, very complicated, you guys must be very committed. Cheers for now, sorry to post so much..Tony
Old Jan 31st 2005, 2:08 am
JAJ
Retired

Thanks Guys!!. ive started a new thread on the perm visa, ive got loads of questions. remember that its not me who is the principal applicant its my partner, so i dont always understand the terms. One quick question, it was said that we need to get application assessed by ANMC (im guessing Australiah Nursing and Midwifery Council???) but my partner has requested the NMC to send the New South Wales Nursing and Midwifery something or other)..whats this all about?, are these two separate things, not forgetting were still going through the sponsored application at present until i have finished my research on the Perm verus temp visa!! jeesh this is hard work, very complicated, you guys must be very committed. Cheers for now, sorry to post so much..Tony

For general skilled migration you *must* have an ANMC skill assessment. There is *no* flexibility on this.

NSW registration is required to work as a nurse in NSW - different thing.
If you get NSW registration it may make the ANMC process easier, but for points tested migration ANMC is a 'must have'.

Your other thread has been moved to the appropriate forum, follow the link.

Jeremy