Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Nurses, Doctors, and other Medical/Healthcare occupations
Reload this Page >

Emergency Nurses in Australia, what do they do compaired to UK nurses

Emergency Nurses in Australia, what do they do compaired to UK nurses

Old Feb 21st 2006, 5:38 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Emergency Nurses in Australia, what do they do compaired to UK nurses

Originally Posted by Tass

Am smiling because you're right !
I have occasionaly worked with UK , European Drs here and we seem to automatically "click" into a way of working.No time wasted and jobs done as expected.
My issue was an ethical one (this time), that normally would have NEVER gone off the floor and would have been resolved between me and the Dr and that's how simple things would have been.I know there is a very different way of thinking out here and I guess thats part of the move.
Good luck to you all.
Don't let the b*st8rds get you down.If you remember how you were trained in the UK and provide practice to the standards YOU are used to you'll do well BUT you will have to stick up for yourself.
(Have actually enjoyed posting on here for the first time in ages ! Thanks)
All the best,
Tass. x

As you know Tass my wife is also a Scottish ED Nurse now in Melbourne & has had the odd run in with a doctor or two. Like you she took no shit & stood up for her beliefs & its not the first time a Doc has had to apologise.

In saying all that she much prefers working in ED out here than back in UK but that might also be the fact we have been here 7 years.

She recently spoke to one of her ex workmates back in Scotland & was told since we had left in 99 four of the regular staff had long term sick due to stress.
Old Apr 3rd 2006, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Angela & Ian has a spectacular aura aboutAngela & Ian has a spectacular aura aboutAngela & Ian has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Emergency Nurses in Australia, what do they do compaired to UK nurses

Originally Posted by Bordy
As you know Tass my wife is also a Scottish ED Nurse now in Melbourne & has had the odd run in with a doctor or two. Like you she took no shit & stood up for her beliefs & its not the first time a Doc has had to apologise.

In saying all that she much prefers working in ED out here than back in UK but that might also be the fact we have been here 7 years.

She recently spoke to one of her ex workmates back in Scotland & was told since we had left in 99 four of the regular staff had long term sick due to stress.
I am a cardiothoracic nurse in the UK and we eventually get our visas will be going to Adelaide to be an ED nurse. I have been panicking and swatting like mad bacause i was afraid nurses over there would be more advanced than here and I would look stupid and not know anything. After reading this thread seems i have nothing to worry about if you don't get to do half the things you do here. Was feeling guilty about spending all day on this forum (i'm new) instead of swatting up but think I might read some more thread now!!!

Angela x
Old Apr 9th 2006, 7:28 pm
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Emergency Nurses in Australia, what do they do compaired to UK nurses

Originally Posted by Angela & Ian
I am a cardiothoracic nurse in the UK and we eventually get our visas will be going to Adelaide to be an ED nurse. I have been panicking and swatting like mad bacause i was afraid nurses over there would be more advanced than here and I would look stupid and not know anything. After reading this thread seems i have nothing to worry about if you don't get to do half the things you do here. Was feeling guilty about spending all day on this forum (i'm new) instead of swatting up but think I might read some more thread now!!!

Angela x
Hi Angela - -Whereabouts in Staffs are you? I'm in Telford and am planning on going to Adelaide aswell as and Emergency Nurse.

Have you got a job lined up yet? If so, where?
I have been offered a job in a private A&E in Adelaide, just waiting for written confirmation.

XRachx
Old Apr 9th 2006, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

Angela & Ian has a spectacular aura aboutAngela & Ian has a spectacular aura aboutAngela & Ian has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ladywithatorch
Hi Angela - -Whereabouts in Staffs are you? I'm in Telford and am planning on going to Adelaide aswell as and Emergency Nurse.

Have you got a job lined up yet? If so, where?
I have been offered a job in a private A&E in Adelaide, just waiting for written confirmation.

XRachx
Hi Rach,

We are living in Stoke-on-Trent, it's a dump you don't want to come here!!!
I have secured a job at the Royal Adelaide Hospital and have had written confirmation. Sent it to DIMIA incase it sped things up a bit but after 6 weeks of waiting that obviously didn't work!!!

When are you going over and when did you apply for your visa.

Might see you in Adelaide then, if we ever get there!!

Good luck,

Angela xxx
Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:53 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

i was afraid nurses over there would be more advanced than here and I would look stupid and not know anything.
Are you serious?

G
Old Apr 9th 2006, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Talking Re: Emergency Nurses in Australia, what do they do compaired to UK nurses

Originally Posted by Grayling
Are you serious?

G

LOL!!
Old Apr 11th 2006, 10:50 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Angela x
Aus nurses not stupid but ahead on some things and behind on others...not a good place to come to as an Enrolled Nurse as in the dark ages where they are concerned. Where UK is filtering Nurse Prescribing down to Staff Nurses it is a Masters course in QLD and unless you have citizenship they expect you to pay your own, so they can make do with Doctors while my UK prescribing lapses into oblivion... .