The new 'where are they now?' thread :)

Old Apr 5th 2006, 10:59 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default The new 'where are they now?' thread :)

Any nurses who used to post here want to update us on your progress in aus? as we wait in yet another cold, wet spring, it would cheer us all up no end to hear how you are finding your new lives - both family and working - in your respective parts of aus...

i've cut and pasted from the previous thread....hope this works and isnt too long!

any other 'oldies' wanting to add their updates, feel free....it would be lovely to hear from you!!!

sue x

->

robbo2 ;
I'm here!!!!
Just busy enjoying Aussie life!
I pop in now and again, but I'm not on here as often since we arrived!
Been to SeaWorld today for daughters birthday. We had a great time.
Working approx 1-2 shifts a week on the casual pool at Mater kids hosp. Hubby is there full time.
If you want to know anything, or need any advice, please ask. Still happy to help, although not as quick with my replies.
Claire. X

Primrose;
Hi not been on here for ages, just thought I'd take a look in this morning and saw this thread!!

Well we arrived in Adelaide in June 05 and bought a house in August, which we have been slowly painting and revamping. Had a pool put in in December ready for the summer and the kids have used it most days, although starting to cool off now.
I started work in August at the TQEH as a L1/9 RN, initially full time but now only work 4 days a week.
Hubby took time out when we first arrived to help get girls settled and to sort out the house, but he now works as a carpet cleaner........totally different to what he did in the UK.
My parents came to stay for 10 weeks over Christmas and also had my sister over in January, we all went over to Kangaroo Island for a holiday, which was great fun.
So far we are enjoying life here and glad we made the move

s/nurse;
Living in Adelaide since we came out 3 1/2 months ago. Work gets in the way of our social life but it has to be done. Settled really well into my job, lots of support and everyone is so friendly. Just brought a house, and daughter is loving her school life.
what a great way to live
jacqui

Lara&brynn;
hi there
i too am a RN and midwife,working as a practice nurse now,not a career woman,more with 3 kids a family woman!!
have down graded from a g grade to a level 1 in practice nursing,may go back into midwifery at some point will wait till boys get older.
anyone want info please feel free to pm me.
we have been here 2 years now,living in redland bay,so fire away

regards
lara

Nikki;
I'm so sorry..... not posted for ages!!!!
I'm still here really enjoying life!!!!
I've got a new job Level 3!!! With a brit Oncologist 4 days per week in Oncology Research- No shifts!!!!! I did research about 10 years ago for about 8 years so its a great job for me! Life is so much better.I see more of my daughter(Hayley 17) as we all eat dinner together every night and I get alternate Fridays and Mondays off so get 4 days off!!!

I have seen ecando (Jez) hes well and enjoying life and has just had visitors from the UK so has been busy.
we're going back to the Uk in June/july for a wedding so that will be strange but we all feel that Brissie is our home.
Last weekend we went out on the boat to Peel Island and lay on the beach for 2 hrs before returning home to laze around the pool- its a hard life....
We've now finished all the major works to our house so we are really enjoying our new house.
I feel really settled here.
Tass is good.She has an amazing rental lovely fields at the back of her house
She is really well.
I've been here over a year now! Felt homesick at xmas- not for long though but other than that I definately feel its the best move we have made.
We have been lucky,bought a fab house,now got a good job,Hayley loves it here and is doing well at school,made loads of friends,Sister coming out for xmas..,great weather,a boat, a pool, what more could we ask for??
I don't post much.. sorry but life just settles down to a routine -although we go out for meals far more than we did in the uk as its so much cheaper.
Anyway ask anything you want to know!
Nikki x

Tass;
G'day mates !! How are ya ?!??
Awww, so nice to know we were missed ! Thanks Sue !
How are you ?
I haven't posted on here for long time becuase it is taking me longer to adjust than everyone else.That's not to say I'm miserable all the time !!!
We are still in a rental , which is lovely , but has no AC and we really struggled thru' summer.We are saving to have a deposit for a mortgage but not finding it easy to do -being mere nurses.
I always have my hand in my pocket paying out for things at school and kids are doing less after school activites because (1) I work 4 nights a week and (2) I can't afford to send them.
My daughter has been bullied at school , right thru' last year and into this and she is very sad all the time.BUT not when she's at home.It's hard to figure out if she would have been like this at home or because we moved ,so I am very hard on myself.My son has started kindy this year and so far seems to be OK.
My husband is very settled and happy. He has bought himself a nice new car and golfs every week with his colleages.He is in nurse management now , Mon -Fri and loving it.
I am still working as a casual RN in my local emergency department and am forever frustrated at the constraints that has.If I was permanant , or could work any shift it would make things easier but none of my 14 years prior learning and experience is allowed to be carried forward here without me re doing the courses. I have "in hospital" certificates but they're not worth the paper that they're printed on ! I do sometimes do what I'm good at when nobody is looking BUT I wouldn't have a leg to stand on should something go wrong. I am paid $35 an hour , so it's just not worth looking elsewhere !
18 months in and I am still not 100% settled. I miss my old friends and being able to pick up the phone for a chat at normal times ! I struggle in the 30-40 degree heat.I miss the green lush freshness of the countryside and parks.I miss the pubs and being able to order something a bit more traditional than meat pies and calamari ! I am fed up with cockroaches and spiders and washing clothes over and over because I can't get them clean.I hate having to work around the clock and not spending time with my own family at weekends.
For us, nothing changed that much. We are almost debt free but still have to work to make it thru' till payday. We have much less here to show for it than in the UK and my leisure time with the family has been greatly reduced.I have no security of our own home and my emergency backup lives several thousand KMs away in Brissy !! " HEY !!! LADY ON THE BOAT , I'M TALKING TO YOU!! "
In general I smile all the time and am "happy".I live life as it happens and make the most of every day , trying to enjoy it like my last ,but underneath it all , I have a lost ,confused, unsettled ,sad person who is pretending to "live the dream!"
Can you see now , why I don't post on a personal level very often ?
Tass.

Di;
Iam still around
Well been in Adelaide since April 05 and as you may remember I like Oz and my job but not Adelaide, so i got myself a thing called a 136 visa within record time and returned from a weeks holiday to Kuala Lumpur yesterday
We are preparing for a move to Perth soon, visited perth in January and liked it, still get homesick at times but hoping my parents will visit this year.
I do still pop in from time to time,
Di
ps. apologies if i missed anyones update off the above quote.....

Last edited by tiredwithtwins; Apr 5th 2006 at 11:01 am.
Old Apr 5th 2006, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

Foster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant futureFoster Clan has a brilliant future
Default Re: The new 'where are they now?' thread :)

Hi everyone

My update:

Next week we will have been in Adelaide 1 year. Yippee we made it.
For those who remember me, it was my husband James who was the nurse not me. He started working at QEH with Di (Harveyhare) after being out of nursing for quite a while. He didn't really take to it so left after about 4 months and went back to Medical Sales which he loves.
Adelaide..................mmmmm what can I say............not a lot.
We've not really had a good year here - it's been hard to feel settled for various reasons which are too long and boring to go into. My eldest daughter (14) had been the one who has found it the hardest, which in turn makes it hard for me. Anyway we are getting there. If it wasn't for Di and Lesley (Scanny) and the fact that I was pregnant at the time then I would have been home 6 months ago.
The good news in all this is that I had a little girl (Llogan) in November and she is absolutely gorgeous - and she's an Australian.
Anyway to cut a long story short we are settled enough not to want to go back to UK now (well everyone except Chloe she would go back tomorrow if she could) but may end up in another state when the time is right.

Nice to catch up with everyone - I only pop in every now and again.

Cheers everyone

Jo
Old Apr 5th 2006, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

I miss the 'Track and Trace' fun we had, How sad am I

Di
Old Apr 5th 2006, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to allRobbo2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Foster Clan
Hi everyone

My update:

For those who remember me, it was my husband James who was the nurse not me. He started working at QEH with Di (Harveyhare) after being out of nursing for quite a while. He didn't really take to it so left after about 4 months and went back to Medical Sales which he loves.
We've not really had a good year here - it's been hard to feel settled for various reasons which are too long and boring to go into. My eldest daughter (14) had been the one who has found it the hardest, which in turn makes it hard for me. Anyway we are getting there. If it wasn't for Di and Lesley (Scanny) and the fact that I was pregnant at the time then I would have been home 6 months ago.
The good news in all this is that I had a little girl (Llogan) in November and she is absolutely gorgeous - and she's an Australian.
Anyway to cut a long story short we are settled enough not to want to go back to UK now (well everyone except Chloe she would go back tomorrow if she could) but may end up in another state when the time is right.

Cheers everyone

Jo

Congrats Jo!! Got any photos?
And if you fancy a move to another state, I can recommend Brisbane as a place to live! (Not that I've been anywhere else to compare it to!!!???)
Claire. x
Old Apr 6th 2006, 10:31 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: The new 'where are they now?' thread :)

Originally Posted by Robbo2
Congrats Jo!! Got any photos?
And if you fancy a move to another state, I can recommend Brisbane as a place to live! (Not that I've been anywhere else to compare it to!!!???)
Claire. x
We don't need go anywhere else Claire as we have all we need here. May crack in a year and go and explore some where else in Aus in a year but only as a holiday... .
Old Apr 7th 2006, 9:18 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Foster Clan
Hi everyone

My update:

Cheers everyone

Jo

thanks for the update!
where do you think you might try next?

sue x
ps congratulations on the birth of your baby!!!!!!
Old Apr 11th 2006, 9:05 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Re: The new 'where are they now?' thread :)

Did copy the nurse off someone years ago who was on here I think, I used it for a work powerpoint as it was cool, although I may be getting mixed up. Wondering what happened to them as sure it was here and they used to post regularly?