don't think i can work 20+ hours per week here in UK.....

Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold
Default don't think i can work 20+ hours per week here in UK.....

what are my options please?

I have 8 years expereince, but for the past 18 months i work as a bank nurse and only manage to get one night shift per week. When i have tried to get more they just don't have anything so i cannot guarentee i will be able to do 20+ hours per week. I have lloked into getting a permanenet job and there aren't any anywhere, and the wards that do have vacanices will not show any flexibilty with regards childcare so they expect me to pay for 2 children to go to full time childcare (well one oly needs out of school care but its as much as the full time place) so they can roster me when they want for 2 12 hour shifts per week.

I so regret agreeing to move up to Scotland last year. I had a great job on the dialysis unit, could do whatever shifts i needed and would have had the relevant expereince
Old Jan 15th 2007, 2:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all
Default Re: don't think i can work 20+ hours per week here in UK.....

Would think the only option is an Employer Nominated Sponsorship? Could be wrong but as you are qualified more than 3yrs you would be eligible for a permanent visa if you can find an obliging sponsor. Avoid the 457 visa if poss.- no need for you to go for this as you have the required years of experience. Maybe JAJ or another expert can give more input?
Old Jan 15th 2007, 6:11 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

the dreaded 20 hour/week rule strikes again!!!
we fell victim to this too ... id dropped my hours to 18/wk on a 38 week term time contract - foiled our plans!
we are now going out on hubbys skills as a plasterer - hopefully - as there is no way i could stomach working over 20 hours a week for a year in the nhs!

anyway, just wanted to wish you good luck, hope you find a solution,

sue
Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

stickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant future

Is it the ANMC, or state nursing board or immigration that checks that you have done the 20 hours a week? I am starting the process next week, and will be registering with WA then doing the modified version from ANMC.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

wren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to allwren is a name known to all

Immigration Dept- they check when you put in application for visa. One poor nurse got right through to the stage of having her medical and police checks only to be turned down
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wren
Would think the only option is an Employer Nominated Sponsorship? Could be wrong but as you are qualified more than 3yrs you would be eligible for a permanent visa if you can find an obliging sponsor.
RSMS is also a permanent visa - no work experience required.
Old Jan 20th 2007, 4:20 pm

Alana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to beholdAlana and Arrons mum is a splendid one to behold

Hi,
I was in a similar boat to you and didnt have the recent work exp( had time off to have the kids).I am now going down the ENS route cos I have more than 3 yrs post reg exp.Not a route everyone likes but for me I am being sponsered by The Royal Brisbane Childrens Hospital oncology department where I already have friends working so I think it will be ok.They are also offering a relocation allowance,which was unexpected and very lovely!
Why not try speaking to an agent to give you some advice?
Good Luck!
Andy
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:17 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by suzanne7575
what are my options please?

I have 8 years expereince, but for the past 18 months i work as a bank nurse and only manage to get one night shift per week. When i have tried to get more they just don't have anything so i cannot guarentee i will be able to do 20+ hours per week. I have lloked into getting a permanenet job and there aren't any anywhere, and the wards that do have vacanices will not show any flexibilty with regards childcare so they expect me to pay for 2 children to go to full time childcare (well one oly needs out of school care but its as much as the full time place) so they can roster me when they want for 2 12 hour shifts per week.

I so regret agreeing to move up to Scotland last year. I had a great job on the dialysis unit, could do whatever shifts i needed and would have had the relevant expereince

Hello suzanne, i have always worked more or less full time in nursing in Scotland and paid through the nose for child care, so know how you feel.

However i think the nhs is alot more family friendly , but perhaps it depends which hospital, have you spoke to any of the personnel depts to find out about options, e.g in our hosp we can apply to work 'term-time', only working when school is in, would luv to afford this, but never in a million years
also have you looked into 'parental leave policies' , hope this helps, where abouts r u in scotland