Community nursing in NZ

Old Jan 18th 2008, 10:50 am
Just Joined

plumb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Community nursing in NZ

Can anyone let me know if they have community nursing in NZ.Ive looked at plenty of info on hospitals but no mention of the community.I have been qualified for 13 years ,6 of which have been spent in the community.Are my skills in demand or do i need to go back to the hospital?
Also do i need to be working 20 hours a week to be able to apply as i only work 18 at the moment.thanks
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Community nursing in NZ

Originally Posted by plumb
Can anyone let me know if they have community nursing in NZ.Ive looked at plenty of info on hospitals but no mention of the community.I have been qualified for 13 years ,6 of which have been spent in the community.Are my skills in demand or do i need to go back to the hospital?
Also do i need to be working 20 hours a week to be able to apply as i only work 18 at the moment.thanks
Hello and welcome. First of all the 20 hours a week rule does not apply to NZ, the way it does of OZ. If you are a RGN /RN apply for your NZ registration, through the nursing council. You need this to be able to apply as a skilled applicant. Many of the District Nursing positions are via the District Health Board, DHB, so are advertised on their web sites. Practice nurses are employed directly by GP practices, tend to be locally adveritised and part time. Going back in to the hospital is a great way of getting PR, then you can find out where you particularly want to work. Shortages of nurses all over NZ (especially experienced nurses). Do a search for public health nurses and Plunkett nurses, these are nurses for well children. There are also lots of private organisations, that run out of hours clinics et and private surgical hospitals e.e Southern Cross. Nursing homes are often called "hospital"
, but are acutally care homes that take nursing home level patients.

Any more questions just ask.
Gill
Old Jan 20th 2008, 3:07 pm
Just Joined

Thanks do you think i should refresh my hospital experience before I come?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plumb
Thanks do you think i should refresh my hospital experience before I come?

Personally no, most hospitals offer at least a 2 week orientation with additional support. NZ is used to taking overseas nurses and to be honest, if you are UK trained you will have no difficulty adjusting back to hospital work.
Where were you looking at?
I'm Rotorua and have been here almost 5 years.

Gill
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:11 am
Just Joined

To be honest i dont know.We came ut for a holiday 2 years ago but only visited the top of the north island.The south island looks lovely, not sure if we should come back out on another holiday or just go for it. I am so up and down at the moment, one minute cant wait to get out there the next wonder what im leaving behind. I suppose everyone who goes has some doubts.