Canada - Which to sort first?

Old Aug 25th 2012, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

Laura1988 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canada - Which to sort first?

I'm about to go into my 3rd year of my adult nursing diploma in the UK.

When I qualify next year I plan to get a job within the NHS and work for a year to get experience. At the same time I can also top up my diploma to degree at my local university. I will also look into whether at the same time I can gain some practical time in Paeds and Obstetrics. I have done 75 hours in mental health which I hope will be enough!

All being well and good I will have got my year of experience and degree sorted by end of 2014.

I'm trying to plan ahead and I'm just wondering will I need to sort my visa first or apply to the province nursing board for my licence first? I'm looking at moving to either Vancouver or Toronto.

Also when is a good time to start this process? As soon as I have got a years experience post reg or prior to that? Ideally i'd like to be living in Canada by early-mid 2015 which will make me 26 almost 27 years old (eeeek!)

One final question. Should I try and get a job prior to going or get visa and licence sorted and then find a job once there?

I know it all seems very early to be planning but I am an extremely organised person and will be moving by myself so it's quite a big thing.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 25th 2012, 11:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada - Which to sort first?

Your transcripts have to show clinical and theory hours in Paeds and obstetrics just doing practical may not be enough. You don't say which route you are going to go for but if FSW then no telling if nurses will still be on the list. Employers will not look at you unless you have eligibility to sit CRNE or have passed CRNE so I would say better to start the process as soon as you can in getting registered with the provincial college before looking at work visa or meeting pr requirements
Old Aug 26th 2012, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Laura1988 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
Your transcripts have to show clinical and theory hours in Paeds and obstetrics just doing practical may not be enough. You don't say which route you are going to go for but if FSW then no telling if nurses will still be on the list. Employers will not look at you unless you have eligibility to sit CRNE or have passed CRNE so I would say better to start the process as soon as you can in getting registered with the provincial college before looking at work visa or meeting pr requirements
Thanks for the reply.

I have done theory hours in Paeds and obstetrics, just not placements.

So from your reply i'm thinking the priority is the CRNE once i'm qualified next year and then tackle which visa i'm going to apply for.

There's a lot of information out there about there possibly being a nursing shortage in Canada in the next few years so fingers crossed I could go for FSW route.
Old Aug 26th 2012, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

There really isn't a nurse shortage and the new FSW list out in the new year may show that. Who knows what it shows in a couple of years what will be on the list. At the moment many Canadian nurses are struggling to find full time work never mind someone internationally. Not saying impossible but difficult however if determined and aware there may be a wait I would say go for it. Also be aware a lot of provincial colleges are now doing some form of assessment before eligibility is given and that will add time onto your timeframe
Old Sep 18th 2012, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

jules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nicejules777 is just really nice

You will need a job first! for definate, i cam out on my husbands work permit as a qualified nursing sister i have been here for 2 years and was told at customs would you like a working visa too i sorted it all out and after paying was informed "not to work where there are any people" !!! must admit i was speechless! make sure you have everything in place before you even try!
Old Sep 18th 2012, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jules777
You will need a job first! for definate, i cam out on my husbands work permit as a qualified nursing sister i have been here for 2 years and was told at customs would you like a working visa too i sorted it all out and after paying was informed "not to work where there are any people" !!! must admit i was speechless! make sure you have everything in place before you even try!
If working in certain areas like healthcare and with children a medical is required before a TWP allowing you to work in that area is issued. Plus as a spouse obtaining a visa visa spouse then their job must be within a certain category/s