Your attitude

Old Aug 19th 2012, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your attitude

Originally Posted by Cornishkiwi
So I'm interested to know about your attitudes towards moving to NZ. When we moved we made a conscious decision to embrace the Kiwi lifestyle and we set a few ground rules:
  1. Support all NZ sports teams (if you live in a country support it)
  2. Never turn down a social invitation, even if you're not that keen on the person
  3. Join a sports club to try and meet like minded people
  4. Never ever ever compare to the UK and say how much better things were

All of the above worked well for us and we have now been here 8 years. What did/do you do and how is it working out?
1) You've got to be kidding. I'm English, I support England. I can't just change my allegiance willy nilly. Personally it doesn't say much for your character if you can change so easily. Support is through good times & bad. Having supported Man City for more years than I care to mention, I have developed a strong character .
How can you take a Nationality's sport's teams seriously with names like the Black sticks, Tall Blacks, All Whites, Black caps, Silver Ferns

2) If I don't like someone why would I waste my time (& theirs), spending even more time with them. Life's far too short.

3) Not into team sports but have joined a theatre group, though the interest with it has started to wane. The kiwis are reluctant to embrace anything new despite the changing socio-demographics in the area.

4) I tried that for a while, it doesn't work. There are just some things one can't help comparing.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 12:08 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Tom1983, your spelling is simply fabulous today. Have a & go to the top of the class.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 12:09 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Tom1983, your spelling is simply fabulous today. Have a & go to the top of the class.
*opens champagne*
Old Aug 20th 2012, 12:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Tom1983
*opens champagne*
Veuve Cliquot I hope
Old Aug 20th 2012, 5:38 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Your attitude

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
Haven't you ever watched Campbell Live or Close Up?
If not by chance go and do something more fun...like walking barefoot across broken glass.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
If not by chance go and do something more fun...like walking barefoot across broken glass.
I've not watched such shows since the dark gloomy days when we were living out of suitcases with just a TV and a bed waiting for our things to arrive, now with access to the best British comedy/TV library at work and a decent amount downloaded at home we rarely have to put up with watching any Kiwi TV including the hours and hours designed around letting Kiwi's whinge about the price of milk etc.

Plus I'm normally out running most nights like tonight, now we're watching a Beeb doco then the BBC football league show, not an expensive pepper, a pedo on the loose or an Auckland home owner moaning about bin services in sight!
Old Aug 20th 2012, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

It'll soon be time to start whinging about the price of tomatoes, peppers and milk which will dominate most TV stations for a full month and I'll do what I always do, scream at the TV 'THIS AIN'T F*****G NEWS WORTHY, IT'S THE PRICE OF ALE THAT NEEDS ALL THE ATTENTION'
Having said that, things can't be that bad if that's a headline news.

I remember watching the news one day when in NZ, can't remember which channel, and the headline was about a school that had constrcuted a world record bra chain.

Odd - but it wasn't about a politican, or terrorism, or murder, or racism.

True enough last time I was over (in March) the news was dominatied about a 'Maori terrorist camp' and some politician, quite a portly fella, who offended some people.

But still, generally I find the news in New Zealand to be pretty tame. Which is good!!

So no wonder people moad about the price of tomatoes.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It must be a flipping hard job (or hugely degrading) being a journo in NZ and trying to find stories to fill the pages of the paper. A major news story today;

Auckland Power Cut Shuts Down Major Traffic Lights

Seems several houses in Remuera were affected and had to do without their morning coffee, heaps of mystery and intrigue around the cause and a possible injury to yet another innocent lamp post.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

There's wars going off, continents going bust, soldiers dying, earthquakes and volcanoes. But what was on the NZ Herald homepage this morning.

Total outrage at people wearing bed clothes in public:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10828053

I always repeat to myself, 'these people call us whinging poms'
Old Aug 20th 2012, 11:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

There's wars going off, continents going bust, soldiers dying, earthquakes and volcanoes. But what was on the NZ Herald homepage this morning.

I always repeat to myself, 'these people call us whinging poms'
My husband would call you a whinging pom, but I guess he can get away with it seeing as he is a pom.

I wouldn't dare to suggest such a thing.

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 21st 2012 at 7:24 am. Reason: qwoties
Old Aug 20th 2012, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cornishkiwi
  1. Support all NZ sports teams (if you live in a country support it)
  2. Never turn down a social invitation, even if you're not that keen on the person
  3. Join a sports club to try and meet like minded people
  4. Never ever ever compare to the UK and say how much better things were
1. I'm a sports fan, a big sports fan - Rugby wise I've always rooted for the All Blacks over Australia, South Africa and France. Presumably I wont need to explain those reasons . I don't think the All Blacks have lost a game against any other nation outside of those 3 and England in the professional era, so I just hope for a decent game of Rugby, as a Rugby fan.

Super and provincial Rugby wise I definitely look forward to finding a team to support.

Cricket is my favourite Sport. But I don't preach it, I can wholly understand why people can't think of anything more dull than Cricket, it just floats my boat.

It's a game I can watch no matter who is playing and it's a top day out, to go and watch. I'll be frequenting Black Cap games, both in Test and One Day arenas.

With soccer, I already keep an eye out on what the Phoenix are doing, so I suppose I've already embraced them, albeit from afar.

Americas Cup - I really don't care.

2. Within reason, I have been doing this since the beginning of the year. A long winded story (not a new years resolution, in case that's what you're thinking) that has resulted in me changing my eating habits and general lifestyle and losing quite a bit of weight. The flip side is that I'm now saying yes to most social situations, as this is how I "treat" myself.

3. I'm currently affiliated to a Cricket Club, a Football Club and and Rugby Club in London, I anticipate playing at least two of the three in NZ. And, if my grandmother in law can pursuade me, I imagine I'll be playing more Golf too.

4. Whilst I think making comparisons can't be helped, I understand the reasoning behind this. It'll be difficult but I'm going to aviod negative comparisons, the reason for this is very simple and is nothing to do with potentially offending the locals.

Whenever a Kiwi, or Aussie in London tells me, unprompted, how wonderful this, that and the other is 'at home' compared to what London has, I have the same stock, 4 work response; "F**k off home then".

I don't want to be a hypocrite.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

@Tommy... Careful how you use the word 'root' when you get to NZ
Old Aug 20th 2012, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Bellasmum;10236164]

I always repeat to myself, 'these people call us whinging poms'[/QUOTE

My husband would call you a whinging pom, but I guess he can get away with it seeing as he is a pom.

I wouldn't dare to suggest such a thing.
its just shocking behavior! no wonder it made the news! do these people have no pride?

(i, of course, have never ever ever gone to McD's drive through in my PJ's when I've been particularly hungover )
Old Aug 21st 2012, 1:38 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
No I haven't watched those programmes and I suspect not many kiwis do. I didn't even know there was talk radio. If you will insist on seeking out these sorts of programmes don't winge about the winging.
prime time TV not watched by many kiwis
NZ TV is crap but I suspect that someone watches those programmes.....and listens to that radio, maybe not the likes of enlightened /cough cough/ kiwis like you but surely the Kiwi rabble?
but then....
just listen to NZ National radio after 5pm and the type of questioning forced on anyone unfortunate or stupid enough to front up. If Kiwis aren't looking to blame or stir up whinging/moaning/investigative journalism then I for one do not know what they are doing......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.