Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Worst year for returns to UK that I can remeber

Worst year for returns to UK that I can remeber

Old Sep 15th 2008, 6:06 am
Life's a beach

St George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really niceSt George Six is just really nice
Default Re: Worst year for returns to UK that I can remeber

It all makes NZ what it is today a wicked country to live in where if you like the out doors can do just about anything, and wild pick trout and fresh mussels King fish etc, you don't go hungry.

Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Actually this has been proven to be mostly untrue. It's a lie perpetuated by the Europeans. The Moriori were a Maori tribe who left NZ to live in the Chatham Islands. They were a peaceful tribe and didn't have the warlike, cannibalistic tendencies of other Maori tribes.

Some Taranaki Maori hired a European ship to go off and invade Samoa but decided to go to the Chathams instead.

A Moriori greeting party was mis-interpreted as a war party and the Taranaki Maori attacked and slaughtered them, taking slaves and eating them, almost wiping them out.

So the myth about the moriori being here first is untrue.

It's also not correct to talk about "The Maori" as a unified people because historically they never were. They have always been a tribal and secular culture and were always fighting inbetween iwi etc.

Even in the land wars in the 1800s, Maori fought alongside the British against other Maori.
Think everyone is missing the point here, what iam saying is the MAORI were there first. When we the British arrived ashore we werent met by a fellow Englishman saying "alright mate whats happening" were we............
Old Sep 15th 2008, 7:42 pm
Forum Regular

CharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really nice

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
Lets not split hairs here Charles its their country though u know what i mean it certainly isnt ours. is it.
No offence intended, and I hope none taken. I was simply trying to make the point that using historical events to excuse current petty (and not so petty) crime is not justifiable. If you go down that route then I could state that it was perfectly within my rights as a Gael to steal my wife's wine gums, as she is English and therefore the beneficiary (by descent) of those who carried from the Clearances. Excusing or justifying crime this way makes no real sense...

At the end of the day there can be no ethnic justification for breaking the law, wherever you are or wherever you come from.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CharlesMacLeod
No offence intended, and I hope none taken. I was simply trying to make the point that using historical events to excuse current petty (and not so petty) crime is not justifiable. If you go down that route then I could state that it was perfectly within my rights as a Gael to steal my wife's wine gums, as she is English and therefore the beneficiary (by descent) of those who carried from the Clearances. Excusing or justifying crime this way makes no real sense...

At the end of the day there can be no ethnic justification for breaking the law, wherever you are or wherever you come from.
I agree Charles there is no excuse for law breaking.
Old Sep 15th 2008, 8:27 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick2007
Think everyone is missing the point here, what iam saying is the MAORI were there first. When we the British arrived ashore we werent met by a fellow Englishman saying "alright mate whats happening" were we............
Fair point. It just winds me up that people still tell the Moriori myth - often to justify something anti-Maori they said!