Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

worst/frightening driving

worst/frightening driving

Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:35 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: worst/frightening driving

Dave, we had a similar experience when we came over. We were driving back to Auckland on the motorway in our wee hired corolla thingy doing a steady 100. Mr PD saw this car stonking up behind us and assumed it was going to overtake. I wasnt paying any attention at all. Next thing he knew the other car smashed right into us! We both got to the side of the road and the police came and all that - no one was hurt but guess why he'd crashed into us ?? cos doing about 120 along the motorway he was texting a friend and didnt even see us till he hit us!

Then it turns out he didnt have any insurance so we've never got our excess back ( and it was $1500!!) even though it wasnt our fault.

How it works here is the court has said he has to pay $20 a week till firstly he pays off the cost of the damage to the car, then we'll get ours back. Now I know the guy probably cant really afford that - but he should be more careful!
Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Just last week, I was parked nicely in a motel carpark. The delivery van driver whacked the corner of my car, smashing the rear brake light. It's just pure carelessness and lack of thought. It's legal to drive and use your mobile phone - so how can a message get across to keep our mind on your driving.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:43 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boopy
Just last week, I was parked nicely in a motel carpark. The delivery van driver whacked the corner of my car, smashing the rear brake light. It's just pure carelessness and lack of thought. It's legal to drive and use your mobile phone - so how can a message get across to keep our mind on your driving.
Did he own up to it? I see so many cars with scrapes on the corners and no-one seems to care.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Did he own up to it? I see so many cars with scrapes on the corners and no-one seems to care.
Yeah, he had no choice, it was witnessed by a few motel guests - but none of them thought to inform the owner. We didn't know about it until the next day, when I went to the car. The driver had left his card on the windscreen.
Apparently a second hand job would have cost only $130, but the delivery company started to gets arsy - so now it's going through the insurance, car now in garage and I have a hire car - paid for by my insurance.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:12 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: worst / frightening driving

Originally Posted by lardyl
all mean that the carnage (and that is what most Kiwis realise it is) will continue on the roads until someone changes at least one of these factors....

gawd help us, the pedestrians and our kids
$500 car
$1000 phat exhaust
$3000 chrome wheels
$5000 sound system
$0 insurance

There was the very recent case where DADDY bought 15 year old a brand new V8 for his birthday, that very night 15 y/o took out a three year old DEAD.

My point:
First of all giving a 15 y/o a 200KW car, what do you expect? These teenagers (and some can hardly see over the steering wheel) should not be allowed to drive such powerful cars. Plus the ATTITUDE they have on the road is scary it all adds up to potential death on the roads. That is whether you are in your car or on the pavement.

But let’s carry on saving the trees and the ants and let’s go off to the artic in a rubber duck to save the whales blah blah blah.

Not sure if it is like that with the kids in the UK but most Kiwi’s want to be rally drivers including the adults. You notice how the V8 is such a big thing here.

Many folk say to me, how come one minute you say you love NZ and the next your are ranting on. These are things that NZ NEEDS to address. Get rid of the tree-hugger PM and maybe that’s a good place to start.

One of the very early things I noticed about NZ is a huge variety of contradictions. For example: You drive from Auckland to Tauranga and on the edge of most villages you will signs reading “ no engine breaking”, this is for trucks and to keep noise levels down. Every Friday and Saturday night you hear the hoon ( teenagers driving hotted-up cars) brigade from around 21:00; they have their roaring exhausts and redline through every gear. Its amazing how the police don’t grab nab them as they are so noticeable. The cops are probably strategically positioned at the zebra crossings waiting for old ladies in their zimmers to speed.

Ok while I am on a roll here. Anybody like to discuss the lack of road signs? Do something about global warming, save petrol, help people to get to their destination – put up road signs. I think we are talking basic stuff here.

All this stuff is a formula for problems and until people stand up and say “enough” people like Helen Clark are going to get paid for running the country. Personally I like the Ozzies as they take the hard stance on the boy racers and all the crap that goes with it.

Who is going to be the first to respond to my comments saying, if you don’t like New Zealand why are you here?

That’s the attitude that will fix the problems. Maybe they should change their names from Kiwi’s to ostriches !!

Have a nice day , see ya later. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Still love the place
Attached Thumbnails worst/frightening driving-give-way-hoons-copy.jpg  
Old Mar 8th 2007, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

New Zealand is a great place to live and there's nothing wrong with wanting it to be a safer place to live.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
.....yep
The way I see it having been driving in NZ for 2 months and having already witnessed 2 smashes plus loads of reckless driving in/around Auckland, there are several factors here (ie Auckland ares) all making it pretty unsafe on/around the roads:
no insurance requirement (and so no need to worry about no-claims, and no prohibition in terms of cost on young/risky drivers getting into fast/powerful cars, etc)
no test (for some older drivers who qualified on time held for provisional licence)
low driving age
low concern for risk on the part of Kiwis
lots of immigrants with "variable" driving ability
poor maintenance of vehicles

all mean that the carnage (and that is what most Kiwis realise it is) will continue on the roads until someone changes at least one of these factors....

gawd help us, the padestrians and our kids
So is the problem mainly in Auck. or all over NZ?
Old Mar 15th 2007, 12:17 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: worst/frightening driving

Originally Posted by helinuk
So is the problem mainly in Auck. or all over NZ?
no idea (yet) but as soupie said the whole driving thing here is out of control......funny how these really polite kids turn into peroxided sunglass wearing 4WD dashing loons or V8 revving dribbling bass-hungry louts.
IMHO this is a massive cartell run by the brake pad manufacturers, panel beaters, St Johns and prosthetic limb makers............

......or is it???
Old Mar 15th 2007, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

This honestly happened to us...
Our car had been hit by a SA woman fairly new to the country who didn't give way in the car park next to our office, we hear an almighty crash and next thing our car appears outside our door! She was hit buy the person who did have right of way and shunted into our car.
A few days later at the insurance assessors. Bloke with noteboard walking round the car making notes of the damage. I was still sitting in the passenger seat, hubby outside chatting to the bloke. An asian lady pulls in and reverses into the spot next to us in a Rav 4. She reverses too far and knocks our car, not badly but a small shunt. She then pulls forward and repeats this twice more! We are too gobsmacked to speak at first, then we all jump into action at the same time. I get out the bloody car! Husband goes up to her window and shouts stop, and the assessor licks his pencil and makes further notes of the damage she has just done, shaking his head in disblief.
OK, not very dangerous just plain stupid.
I have seen some very near misses and have only experienced road rage in myself since being here. I have made my kids hold off driving for a while, simply by not buying them one! My son is now 18 and he is a few weeks off being out on the road on his own. He will have insurance, I have insisted on it. My daughter will be the same. She is 16 but in my opinion not nearly mature enough to be behind the wheel of a car. Not being awful, she just isn't.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 2:07 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

I saw a car this moring pull into a space on the side of the road and nearly take the front wheel off a cyclist, never saw him. He was wearing a reflective jacket and had flashing lights on his bike. I suspect that car now has a dent in the top of the boot as the cyclist thumped it rather hard when making his prescence known.

Got to the next roundabout, going straight on and a car coming the other way decided to start indicating right when they were halfway round the roundabout, I nearly set off and drove into their path!

I then ended up behind a BMW driver who drove at between 35 and 40 km/h in 70 and 50 zones and still braked for the corners!!

You have to be alert!

Oh, and what's this kiwi habit of indicating right to go straight on at roundabouts? Bloody annoying!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

I was warned of bad driving on Oz and whilst there a couple of yrs ago a 15 yr old was driving the family car - a V8 -with all family in it. Took a corner too fast and killed all the family and the visiting French(or European ) exchange girl. That brought a wave of cries of '15 yr olds shouldn't drive powerful cars'. I hope the MPs are trying to pass a law about that if they haven't already. At least in Oz they are onto the hoons.

My 17 nearly 18 yr old just failed her driving test for 2nd time, touch kerb as reversing, the 1st time round it was for being too far from kerb. Apart from that she only had 9 minors. Its knocked her confidence and she knows she's got to take it again cos we/she have spent so much money on lessons and tests, but I have to say I'm not looking forward to her being on the NZ road, not because she's a bad driver but I don't think she has the experience to avoid the hoons and bad drivers. (I'm also very nervous of driving there myself now )
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RobClubley
Oh, and what's this kiwi habit of indicating right to go straight on at roundabouts? Bloody annoying!
I was literally just about to post this but you said it for me.... I try not to swear but honestly!!!!! Who the hell taught them to do this?? I have to watch my language or I hear a little voice in the backseat saying "bloody tosser" or worse!! ooops....
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

I think one of the biggest problems here with drivers is they are taught to drive by their parents, so all the crap driving we are seeing is being passed on. You see them getting into the drivers seat when they finish school with their Mum or Dad at their side & off they go Kangarooing down the road.
We can recall only seeing one driving school car in the 9 months we've been here.

Also, why do most people here seem to drive close to the middle of the road? it's just asking for head on crashes. We were always taught to be about a yard from the kerb.

My kids wont be getting behind the wheel until they are at least 17 & it wont be my car!!!
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Also, why do most people here seem to drive close to the middle of the road? it's just asking for head on crashes. We were always taught to be about a yard from the kerb.
Yeah me too..... mind you the edges of the roads are pretty bad round here.... no edges at all really.... just gravel and a deep channel. They did put a few kerbs in this village last year but most of the roads dont have them.

My dad taught me to drive and did really well.... I went on to have just a few proper paid for lessons with an instructor and then passed first time..... many many years ago!! I have 13 years to go until my DS can drive.... and it wont be in my car either!! lol
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SarahB
Yeah me too..... mind you the edges of the roads are pretty bad round here.... no edges at all really.... just gravel and a deep channel. They did put a few kerbs in this village last year but most of the roads dont have them.

My dad taught me to drive and did really well.... I went on to have just a few proper paid for lessons with an instructor and then passed first time..... many many years ago!! I have 13 years to go until my DS can drive.... and it wont be in my car either!! lol
Yes, i learn't a bit with my Dad as well & had proper lessons.

Saw a good one yesterday in Glenfield. A lady was talking on her mobile & with her other hand was playing with her baby in the front seat - The question is, who was holding the wheel!!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.