Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Working in Palmerston North

Working in Palmerston North

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Palmerston North

Originally Posted by PAUL M
Browner
Ye that is offputing
We both wouldnt be happy about being cold : Its weird , I know nz is different , but I wouldnt have called it backward
I would call it backward, particularly in regards to quality of housing, heating, cars, drivers and road rules/sense, and general attitude of (unfortunately) a large percentage of the not terribly sophisticated population.

I mean, they dont even have compulsory third party motor insurance here. So every second teenager modifies their car so its extremely loud and often dangerous, drives it like an idiot and then smashes into you, but they dont have any insurance to compensate you. Now that, in my opinion, is backwards.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

PAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant future

Yeah , that sounds backward
What youve been saying , I dont think you like it there much , would you come back to the UK
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:47 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Ive been looking at the properties in NZ , i dont really like the look of them , nor does my partner ; Cos were used to brick houses and central heating ; Are there many houses like that ; The lack of heating to , also is it true the internet isnt very good

Cheers
Paul you'll adjust your tastes once here. We were bigs fans of the Victorian Terrace in the UK but now I very much like Kiwi homes- so much that I built one Don't write them off aesthetically yet- you go through a process of Kiwising once here!

Hi Browner
Yeah , I get very cold , so would want central heating
I couldnt afford $550000 , prob more around $250000
Do you really mean 250K NZ dollars? You'll need to stick to areas like Palmerston North then because you simply can't buy at that price in the big cities. If you stay modest about what you want, buy something that you can modernise, you should be fine but there's no way you can buy somewhere with DG and CH for $250K.

Browner
Really is that right , so why isnt there central heating then , is it warmer than the UK then , so you dont need it ; I dont wanna be sitting indoors with my coat on
It is warmer in most areas compared with most areas of the UK but not hugely so, although some areas are hugely warmer- eg compare Hawkes Bay to Scotland! Kiwis are different and generally seem quite content to live in fairly crappy houses and have the boat than do without the boat and do up the house. That's only true for some though- there are loads of architecturally built stylish warm homes about but they're big money.

Yeah , I dont see why there housing is so bad
It would certainly put a damper on things if we were cold where we were living; I didnt really like the look of the housing either ; Alot look like old shaks to be honest LOL

From NZIS settlement site:

As a new country we also have our own way of doing things. Our housing is lightly constructed and employs different materials and styles. Two-storey houses, double glazing and central heating are uncommon and construction is generally of wood or manufactured materials.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 4:34 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
And Im talking about the North Island, God only knows what its like down in Dunedin.
Installers of radiators and heat pump systems do good business down here. It can't all be immigrants who are paying for them, so maybe the locals are not as backward as those where you're based.

Originally Posted by Browner_
Generally, it is probably warmer here than in the UK, but it feels colder cos the houses are crap, with balsa wood walls
Thats amazing! I want to see that.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 5:10 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Thats amazing! I want to see that.
Me too!

I am not a fan of full central heating anyway, it's wasteful.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Me too!

You be a fan of central heating after living in a wooden shack for a length of time
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:14 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maz
Me too!

Yes, and running a heatpump or similar contraption hour after hour with little effect isn't?
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:24 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Ooh look, the usual suspects are out and about.

I heard someone say - maybe even on this forum - that Brits heat houses, Kiwis heat rooms. The latter is far more economical.

I bought a house with double-glazing, proper insulation (we would have put it in anyway) and heat in every room. We don't heat every room, that would be a waste, as we don't use every room when we need to heat parts of the house.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:36 am
Banned

pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice

I bet you can't wait for the bill!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:40 am
Maz

Which bill? Gas & electric are actually pretty good, bill-wise. Thanks for your "concern" though.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:43 am
Banned

Yes, but it's ALMOST winter and not so concerned
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pascalr

Why are you sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bitter and always having a dig at others P?

You seem really unhappy. If so why are you here??
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:46 am
Maz

Originally Posted by pascalr
Well duh I know you don't give a shit about anyone else and will twist the knife in wherever possible. I think that's evident to anyone with half a brain.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:47 am
Banned

Oh, am I the only one that has a dig.

Seriously you know absolutely nothing about me.

Do not get so personal!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 9:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Maz
Well duh I know you don't give a shit about anyone else and will twist the knife in wherever possible. I think that's evident to anyone with half a brain.

Yep, forum and real life......can you tell the difference?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.