Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Working in Palmerston North

Working in Palmerston North

Old Apr 16th 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

PAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant future
Default Working in Palmerston North

I did have a job offer in Wellington , but that fell through
Ive now got an interview for a job in Palmerston North ; I would also live there
Could anyone please tell me what they think of the place , as I can only go by what ive seen on internet , so not much
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:29 pm
Just Joined

heavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the roughheavenljm is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Working in Palmerston North

hi Paul am on way to Palmerston North a lot of folk on here have said its not bad place very studenty because of Uni not one of the most beautiful but its lovely with very little traffic and lovely way of life hope that helps good luck
Old Apr 19th 2008, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PAUL M
I did have a job offer in Wellington , but that fell through
Ive now got an interview for a job in Palmerston North ; I would also live there
Could anyone please tell me what they think of the place , as I can only go by what ive seen on internet , so not much

Hi PM, look at the posts I have done re Palmy, depends on your circumstances as to how Palmy will pan out for you. Obviously its a far cry from Welly, not a huge amount of culture going on but we have loads of great bars and endless things to do here. Are you coming with family?

For sure there are FAR more beautiful places in NZ but there's not always the work in said beauty spots and house prices are ALWAYS more expensive in more desirable areas.

Palmy has the reputation of being VERY dull. I do not know where that comes from as in the 3 years I have been here I have never found it dull..ever. Its a university town. How can it be dull?

I guess some people love a whipping boy and Palmy is one of NZ's fave WBs. We love it here and life is as good as I have ever had it in almost 50 years on this earth!!

Palmy is well located for so much, superb skiing's only 2.5 hrs by car, Taupo, Wellington and Hawkes Bay ditto.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

PAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant futurePAUL M has a brilliant future

Thanks for your replies , I will hopefully be coming out with my girlfriend , though shes in two minds
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies , I will hopefully be coming out with my girlfriend , though shes in two minds
Palmerston North will be one hell of a change from living just outside London.

The positives I see that it is quite central to many North Island attractions (which are mostly scenic) . It has that advantage over Wellington, which is stuck on the southernmost tip of the island, so feels quite boxed in.

But I think I would feel totally in the styx living in P.North.

John Cleese famously described said of Palmerston North ""If you wish to kill yourself but lack the courage to, I think a visit to Palmerston North will do the trick". I have some sympathy with his viewpoint.

Do plenty of research before deciding if its for you
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
Palmerston North will be one hell of a change from living just outside London.

The positives I see that it is quite central to many North Island attractions (which are mostly scenic) . It has that advantage over Wellington, which is stuck on the southernmost tip of the island, so feels quite boxed in.

But I think I would feel totally in the styx living in P.North.

John Cleese famously described said of Palmerston North ""If you wish to kill yourself but lack the courage to, I think a visit to Palmerston North will do the trick". I have some sympathy with his viewpoint.

Do plenty of research before deciding if its for you

Compared to living in London living in palmy would be about as different as you can get. Its vert rural and on the TV ads you get loads of farming ads!!!

J Cleese was somewhat off kilter with his comments. One cannot make such a sweeping statement after 24 hours. well he did but was 24hours long enough to come to that coclusion. I think it was all about his audience losing the will to live as his performance was somewhat 'needy' from what I have heard.

We are all still very much alive and have had no thoughts about killing ourselves anytime in the last 3 years....we have been way to busy having all the fun we could not find in Northampton!!!!

Palmerston N will not suit everyone. Doubt if I would be here if it was not for my kids to be honest. For everyday family life with loads of runs into town (to do the plethora of things that abound) its perfect. Its virtually traffic free and has everything from a Rugby museum to an indoor climbing school.

We are very, very content here.

If I was single I would be somewhere less rural.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your comments
Im in Bucks at the moment , near Amersham , we dont go into London much ,Think we want a rural scene , I can only go by what ive seen on the net and by what you guys are saying on here
Is there much to do , sort of things like bowling , is there nice pubs etc ; I also like riding over here and wanted to buy my own horse in NZ , couldnt afford one here
I didnt realise it was so out in the sticks , is it so quiet nothing happens
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 7:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for your comments
Im in Bucks at the moment , near Amersham , we dont go into London much ,Think we want a rural scene , I can only go by what ive seen on the net and by what you guys are saying on here
Is there much to do , sort of things like bowling , is there nice pubs etc ; I also like riding over here and wanted to buy my own horse in NZ , couldnt afford one here
I didnt realise it was so out in the sticks , is it so quiet nothing happens
There is an AMAZING array of things to do here. We have equine facilities, loads of bowls clubs, 2 bowling alleys, NZ fastest indoor kart track, 3-4 pools, one with a HUGE outdoor, jet boating, tramping in our mountains, fishing 70 plus restaurants, loads of golf, gliding, micro light, light aircraft tuition, rock climb school, scuba school, awesome parks, a great river, amazing walk ways, 10 plus cinemas, an art gallery, a regular museum, sceince centre, huge arena that feature motorsports all summer, an international convention centre, a huge gorge just round the corner, hunting, a steam museum, a rugby one too, the list is almost endless.

We have a world class library, just incredible, a cafe culture .... coffee's real big here, there's petanque clubs, a squash court with 20 courts, tennis clubs, canoeing....... every type of sport you can imagine. Doesn't really sound like suicide territory does it?? I am sure I have missed loads!!!!!!! Oh and the deserted beach is 30 mins away, some of the best skiing just over 2.5 hours and the worlds biggest trout lake (Taupo) is just over 2 hrs as is Wellington.

Then we have all the other local, amazing surrounding attractions......

It is fun here!!
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

Hi Thanks it sounds good , Im fed up with the daily commute here in UK ; gota go down M40 down to Hillingdon
I was abit surprised by the no of people fed up with NZ on the Are You Moving On Thread
I was wondering if you bought yr car out to NZ from the UK ; I was thinking of doing that ,as ive just bought it a few months ago
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Ive been looking at the properties in NZ , i dont really like the look of them , nor does my partner ; Cos were used to brick houses and central heating ; Are there many houses like that ; The lack of heating to , also is it true the internet isnt very good

Cheers
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Thanks it sounds good , Im fed up with the daily commute here in UK ; gota go down M40 down to Hillingdon
I was abit surprised by the no of people fed up with NZ on the Are You Moving On Thread
I was wondering if you bought yr car out to NZ from the UK ; I was thinking of doing that ,as ive just bought it a few months ago
Hi Paul, unless the loss you may make outweighs the shipping costs don't do it. 'Rob Clubley' did it and I get the impression he found it a pain. What kind of car is it? Kate's commute to work which is way over the other side of town takes about 10 mins..if the roads are chokker it can take 12mins!!!!

NZ is not every one's cuppa, we are very content BUT we are all very different with varied agendas. All our expectations have been met and surpassed.

Some people come here expecting things that ain't ever gonna happen..like weather akin to Oz, NZ being like the UK 50 years ago..I had that quaint idea a while back..I now think that NZ is soooooooooooooooooooooo unlike the UK its scarey!!!! By the way as you may know we are a Uni city and thus have vibrant night life and some superb pubs.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Ive been looking at the properties in NZ , i dont really like the look of them , nor does my partner ; Cos were used to brick houses and central heating ; Are there many houses like that ; The lack of heating to , also is it true the internet isnt very good

Cheers
We ended up with quite a modern house..alas not modern enough and have put in euro CH, double glazing and a wood burner. They are sooooooooooooooooooo not like UK houses. But you get quite a bit for your dosh.

In April 2005 bought this place, 6 beds, office, huge kitchen, huge hall, laundry 2.5 baths, 2 living areas a really nice pool ( a real one!! ) with extensive gardens, drive and big garage in an awesome neighbourhood for a shade over £166,000. What would that get you in the UK in 2005?

Have a look at www.propertybrokers.co.nz for some houses.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:23 am
Forum Regular

Hi Genesis
My car is a Mazda MX5
God yr house sounds so good , here a flat is 180000 , I didnt wanna spend that on a flat , I want a house
Also im gonna be , If I get the job be working in the hospital , it looks new , whats it like there
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Genesis
My car is a Mazda MX5
God yr house sounds so good , here a flat is 180000 , I didnt wanna spend that on a flat , I want a house
Also im gonna be , If I get the job be working in the hospital , it looks new , whats it like there
Kate worked at the hospital, the facade is very flash lookinh innit? Two of my kids have been thru the hospital mill in the last 3 years..we are WELL impressed!! Wat better than the NHS we think. Kate now works in palliative care in a unit just next to the hospital..she loves it there!!!

I love the new MX5..was really keen on one but wanted to take the kids out in the rag top so we bought a 2nd hand A4 cabriolet..always wanted one and love the car..I would love an MX5 too, we have a Mazda Dealership in town.

Google Palmfield Motors Palmerston North..also look at the car section on www.trademe.co.nz that's our equivalent of e bay, will give you an idea of what your Roadster will cost to replace over here.

PM me if you like..I am always happy to pass on my ph. no. for a chat..we had no forum like this when we moved..only discovered it upon arrival.

Like to help if I can.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Hi Genesis
Thanks ; It would be nice to chat
Ive already had an informal int , gota have a formal one next week ; The personel women asked what my partner did I told her reception , so she wants to int her as well , so that would be handy if she could get a job as well
Ive only had the car just over a month , so would still like to get it sent out ; I know you said there was hassles , do you know what the problems were

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.