Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

work in NZ without PR?

work in NZ without PR?

Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:17 am
sean n

sean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant future
Default work in NZ without PR?

I have submitted my EOI at 120 points, no job offer, but I am in discussion with a potential employer.

If I dont get selected can I come to NZ on some kind of work visa to start the job and then apply for PR?

If so is it easy to apply and get a work visa?

Any experience anyone?
Old Dec 5th 2006, 3:51 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: work in NZ without PR?

Originally Posted by sean n
I have submitted my EOI at 120 points, no job offer, but I am in discussion with a potential employer.

If I dont get selected can I come to NZ on some kind of work visa to start the job and then apply for PR?

If so, is it easy to apply and get a work visa?

Any experience anyone?
Yes, can do. I came here 02 January 2002 on a work permit and after three extensions finally pulled finger and applied for PR.

For a work permit you'd have to be sponsored by an employer. The difficulty (not really that difficult) is if the job is on the occupational skills shortage (OSL) list or not. If the position is on the list, sweet as mate, the paper work can be done here in NZ in very short order. If the job is not on the OSL your prospective employer would have to show that he/she was not able to find a suitable local worker and that it would be necessary to hire someone from outside NZ. They can do this by placing adverts in the local rag as well as getting a statement from WINZ (Work and Income New Zealand, the state employment and benefit office) that they couldn't find any suitable worker. Get your paperwork, head on down to your local NZIS office and submit the paperwork and soon you'll have your blue stickers.

Suerte,

happynz
Old Dec 5th 2006, 4:51 pm
Too close to the sun

SirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud ofSirEglamore has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by happynz
Yes, can do. I came here 02 January 2002 on a work permit and after three extensions finally pulled finger and applied for PR.

For a work permit you'd have to be sponsored by an employer. The difficulty (not really that difficult) is if the job is on the occupational skills shortage (OSL) list or not. If the position is on the list, sweet as mate, the paper work can be done here in NZ in very short order. If the job is not on the OSL your prospective employer would have to show that he/she was not able to find a suitable local worker and that it would be necessary to hire someone from outside NZ. They can do this by placing adverts in the local rag as well as getting a statement from WINZ (Work and Income New Zealand, the state employment and benefit office) that they couldn't find any suitable worker. Get your paperwork, head on down to your local NZIS office and submit the paperwork and soon you'll have your blue stickers.

Suerte,

happynz
If you go that route how does the OH and kids get there
Old Dec 5th 2006, 5:23 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by SirEglamore
If you go that route how does the OH and kids get there
The person with the work permit is allowed to bring with him or her his or her dependents -- spouse and kids. The dependent spouse will be given an open work permit, that is, allowed to work with any employer he or she wants if he or she wishes to engage in employment. The sprogs would be given a student visa so they could go to school the same as any other Kiwi kid. The original work permit holder would be tied to the sponsoring employer.

For contracts of one year or less a medical exam certificate isn't necessary. However if you wish to extend beyond this period you'd have to have you and yours get the medical exam as well as have your employer re-submit the paperwork.

I hope this info helps to answer your question.

Last edited by happynz; Dec 5th 2006 at 5:26 pm.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 5:28 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: work in NZ without PR?

Hi
I'm going down the 'work to residence' route myself.

I am at present waiting for a job offer, once i've got this i'll be able to apply.

my husband will get a general work visa and my children who are 12 and 15 will have student visas. We will apply for PR when we're out there. I think you can apply after 18 months. So basically they are all dependent on me getting a job.

hope this helps
Mandie
Old Dec 5th 2006, 5:49 pm
sean n

sean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
Hi

I am at present waiting for a job offer, once i've got this i'll be able to apply.

my husband will get a general work visa and my children who are 12 and 15 will have student visas. We will apply for PR when we're out there. I think you can apply after 18 months. So basically they are all dependent on me getting a job.

hope this helps
Mandie
Cheers everyone for your help. If my EOI isnt pulled out tomorrow thats the route i will go I recon. Anyone want to buy a house in Stratford upon Avon
Old Dec 5th 2006, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
Hi

hope this helps
Mandie
There is no need to wait until the 18 months are up before you apply for PR. You can apply any time if you have enough points.

We came to NZ on work to residence (only took a couple of weeks to approve), then after about a month in NZ applied for PR. At that stage PR applications were taking several months so thats why we came to NZ on a work to residence visa first.

Bottom line is once you are in NZ on any work permit you can apply for PR any time you like as long as you meet the requirements. Having PR is better than a work permit, so apply if you are able to would be my advice.
Old Dec 5th 2006, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by newkiwi
There is no need to wait until the 18 months are up before you apply for PR. You can apply any time if you have enough points.
Yup.

We came to NZ on work to residence (only took a couple of weeks to approve), then after about a month in NZ applied for PR. At that stage PR applications were taking several months so thats why we came to NZ on a work to residence visa first.
Good move.

Bottom line is once you are in NZ on any work permit you can apply for PR any time you like as long as you meet the requirements. Having PR is better than a work permit, so apply if you are able to would be my advice.
I should have done that instead of flaffing around for four-and-a -half years. I'd have had my citizenship by now and I could have pissed off to Aussie to make some decent dosh. As it is, I'll be here until 2011 before I'm eligible for a Kiwi passport.
Old Dec 6th 2006, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Yup.

Good move.

I should have done that instead of flaffing around for four-and-a -half years. I'd have had my citizenship by now and I could have pissed off to Aussie to make some decent dosh. As it is, I'll be here until 2011 before I'm eligible for a Kiwi passport.
So you are just here as a side step to get to Aussie???????
As immigration only accepts a certain no. of immigrants every year that means that you are taking the place of a genuine person thats wishes to live and make a life and contrubute to NZ ...ummmm
Old Dec 6th 2006, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by jueinnz
So you are just here as a side step to get to Aussie???????
As immigration only accepts a certain no. of immigrants every year that means that you are taking the place of a genuine person thats wishes to live and make a life and contrubute to NZ ...ummmm
Are you trying to guilt-trip me here?
Old Dec 6th 2006, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

Are you trying to guilt-trip me here?
Yer possibly...I don't think its fair. But lifes not... hey!!!