Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Work/ life balance?

Work/ life balance?

Old Feb 3rd 2014, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work/ life balance?

Originally Posted by The Weezer
By the way, I have carefully observed how my extended New Zealand family, who don't earn very much, gets by. I won't bore you with details, but I can't imagine anyone who isn't used to such a life could find it bearable, let alone worth migrating for. Let's just say you'd have to learn to live on a miserable and monotonous diet, seriously harden up and supress your desire for physical comfort and forget about your previous notions of hygiene! I guess in a few decades they'll eventually reap the rewards.
I agree with you Weezer, same observations I see with many people in my workplace and why I'm working beside people who are 75+ and can't afford to retire. Lots of folks live in these old villas in new-monied areas such as Remuera but generally don't have the money or wherewithal to make them comfortable to live in. One lady I work with is older than 65 - lives in a million dollar plus suburb and just spent more than $80k modernising, heating, double glazing and insulating her home for her retirement - she's gonna be working a lot longer yet to pay off the debt.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

I have a feeling that previous generations never had so much choice or competition (or the need to save so much), nor did they have to face the 'race to the bottom' as so many of us now do in the globalised world. This is just to be able to provide the norm, especially when I talk to my parents and grand parents generation.
Top notch post Davros.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I One lady I work with is older than 65 - lives in a million dollar plus suburb and just spent more than $80k modernising, heating, double glazing and insulating her home for her retirement - she's gonna be working a lot longer yet to pay off the debt.
She'll probably flog it off for a few million, clear the mortgage, then head to the BOP to enjoy a comfortable retirement. There's been a noticeable influx of older well heeled Aucklanders in these parts lately. They've all been busy selling off the old family villas in Remmers and buying up large around Mt Maunganui. Leaves them with a fair wodge of cash to play around with too.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 10:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hokey-pokey
She'll probably flog it off for a few million, clear the mortgage, then head to the BOP to enjoy a comfortable retirement. There's been a noticeable influx of older well heeled Aucklanders in these parts lately. They've all been busy selling off the old family villas in Remmers and buying up large around Mt Maunganui. Leaves them with a fair wodge of cash to play around with too.
Indeed, I believe this may be the method in the madness for sudden desire to update. However, it is very sad to think of the conditions she has put up with for so long, but now she's absolutely thrilled and revelling in the new found 'comfort' of her own home. She and I have some great chats about life in general and the similarities and differences that we share; overall she's quite angry with herself and other Kiwis in general for being so 'mean' (her words not mine) and putting up with such poor living conditions for so many years.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond reputeHokey-pokey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
she's quite angry with herself and other Kiwis in general for being so 'mean' (her words not mine) and putting up with such poor living conditions for so many years.
A few years ago if you'd mentioned installing double glazing or central heating you'd have been gawped at. It simply wasn't considered unless you were stinking rich; and then you faced the problem of actually finding a tradesman who knew what he was doing. Anything outside the status quo would have had to be sourced and probably imported from the Northern Hemisphere. Imagine doing all that without the internet.

Last edited by Hokey-pokey; Feb 3rd 2014 at 7:22 pm. Reason: Added extra
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 6:35 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Working at the homeless shelter has put everything into perspective for me. I've had many chats with the older residents who have seen many changes over the years here.

To come around to the other side of the world is a huge decision. In order to stay here I believe your quality of life should improve to justify the move. Working 12 - 14 hours per day for the next 20/30 years to pay off a huge mortgage is not my idea of good quality of life. Uprooting your family around NZ in order to afford a cheaper home, which adds another 40 mins plus onto your daily commute is not a good quality of life.

I don't want to live like this as this is my daughters childhood. She has no quality time with her daddy because of his working hours. He will never get that time back with her. No house is worth that.
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:15 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Working at the homeless shelter has put everything into perspective for me. I've had many chats with the older residents who have seen many changes over the years here.

To come around to the other side of the world is a huge decision. In order to stay here I believe your quality of life should improve to justify the move. Working 12 - 14 hours per day for the next 20/30 years to pay off a huge mortgage is not my idea of good quality of life. Uprooting your family around NZ in order to afford a cheaper home, which adds another 40 mins plus onto your daily commute is not a good quality of life.

I don't want to live like this as this is my daughters childhood. She has no quality time with her daddy because of his working hours. He will never get that time back with her. No house is worth that.
But that is exactly what I did in the UK!
I don't think there is an easy ride anywhere in the live-able World to be
honest.
I worked 12 hrs a day for many years on call 24/7 and then 6 hrs every night renovating crap terraced houses, all weekends and no holidays for many years. Finish it sell for a profit and move upwards then start all over again.
For some on here (not you Pip) to suggest that the old sods had it easy is just generalizing and out of order. A nice 12 hour day 5 days a week would have been very nice with weekends off and holidays.
We are buying a 3 bedroom DETACHED bungalow in a good side of Christchurch for approx NZ$450k.....our little 2 bedroom DETACHED bungalow in a Warwickshire town cost us £325k. Very nice but believe me it has been bloody hard work! When Bellasmum says patience she is right.
Oops just fell off my box
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 8:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn

This for me is exactly it. Why move to the other side of the world if life isn't any better, or worse in fact.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 4:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
It takes a lot of patience to sit tight, go without for 20 - 30 years to pay of a mortgage.
A wise man once wrote
"when no ones yet explained to me exactly what's so great
About slaving 50 years away on something that you hate,
about meekly shuffling down the path of mediocrity
Well if that's your road then take it but it's not the road for me"

seriously !! you want people to sit and live with nothing for 20 or 30 years, unbelievable
You get less time for murder,you have no bills to pay and get 3 meals a day, have you considered that as an option Davros ??
Old Feb 4th 2014, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
our little 2 bedroom DETACHED bungalow in a Warwickshire town cost us £325k.
By Auckland standards that is very affordable, especially if its in good condition (not in need of a new roof or floor or insulation or double glazing and has a kitchen less than 20 years old).

On a serious note, I fully appreciate that property in the UK is expensive.

However, there is a far bigger choice of property AND it has 61 million more people.

I think depending on "when" you moved to NZ highly influences your opinion on the matter.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 1:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, this went off at a tangent

For me the paragraph

Because when you do have some time off, you can have an outdoors/nature/space focussed life that's more difficult to achieve in the UK. Owning a small boat for instance, or being able to fish and hunt for very little cost... or simply being able to have a garden to grow stuff, own some animals or get away to beautiful places and beaches where you can be swim and be alone. That's how living in New Zealand repays many people.
stands out as that's why we're thinking of moving. We currently live in a beautiful area of the UK, the views are breathtaking and I have to pinch myself every now and again to make sure I'm not dreaming at being so lucky to live in such a gorgeous house with land and my horse at home.

However, it's so wet, cold and miserable for three months of the year that we have to shut down, yard the horse in a shed and basically just slog against the mud and do endless maintenance to hold steady. For another six months of the year we only have a 50:50 chance of being able to be outside and not be rained on or blown away. Most years we can't grow our own veg and our complete orchard crop failed last year due to snow in late April. We regularly spend weeks at a time below zero and, two winters ago, we spent a month varying from -10 to -15. That wasn't a lot of fun.

Jobs are increasingly tricky with 20-25% above contracted hours being expected every week and salaries decreasing in real terms all the time due to not even a cost of living rise over the last five years. We're also now in the culture of being available 24/7 with companies expecting employees to buy their own laptops or tablets so they can do even more unpaid overtime.

I'm already pretty sure we can't move and afford our horses, which are one of the principle drivers for moving, so I suspect we'll stay put but we're still coming out to see the place anyway, you never know what the universe might place in your way if you give it the chance.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
However, it's so wet, cold and miserable for three months of the year that we have to shut down, yard the horse in a shed and basically just slog against the mud and do endless maintenance to hold steady. For another six months of the year we only have a 50:50 chance of being able to be outside and not be rained on or blown away. Most years we can't grow our own veg and our complete orchard crop failed last year due to snow in late April. We regularly spend weeks at a time below zero and, two winters ago, we spent a month varying from -10 to -15. That wasn't a lot of fun.

Anywhere north of Invercargill will be a huge improvement on this state of affairs. I'm not a huge fan of rural living, but enjoy it for short visits. Used to go with friends on flyfishing trips to Turangi, snorkelling around the lakes or short yacht rides around the Sounds. Last time I was there, I stayed out on a farm on the way to Castlepoint for a few days... but in my heart, I've always been a city person since I was little.

If you're looking at places in the North Island, consider looking at the Wairarapa (Masterton, Featherston and thereabouts) if you'd like relatively easy access once in a while to Wellington by train. Go further north on the east side of the North Island and you start to get into Mediterrean-type climates where it's warm enough to grow avocados, apricots and plums. Anywhere that has huge palm trees in the main streets of towns isn't like many places in the UK.

If you can make it work financially, go for it.

Last edited by Purrball; Feb 4th 2014 at 2:28 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:24 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
By Auckland standards that is very affordable, especially if its in good condition (not in need of a new roof or floor or insulation or double glazing and has a kitchen less than 20 years old).

On a serious note, I fully appreciate that property in the UK is expensive.

However, there is a far bigger choice of property AND it has 61 million more people.

I think depending on "when" you moved to NZ highly influences your opinion on the matter.
There are not a great deal of good homes on the UK market where we came from. Brother in law is desperately trying to get on the ladder but due to hardly any houses being built for quite a few years now anything 1/2 decent is snapped up immediately. This in turn is winding up the prices and the agents are forecasting an 8% price increase in 2014 simply because of supply/demand as cash becomes available. All towns and villages are being forced into accepting more housing unfortunately a mixture of private and social hence putting people off buying.
Like areas of AKL you get what you pay for Davros. I wish you luck in your quest but don,t make yourself ill.......it.s only a house after all!
Old Feb 4th 2014, 5:27 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

hi hazelnut. Definatly come out and have a look around. The type of lifestyle you want is readily available here, only you will know if you can afford it or not.

I wish you all the best for your future and hope things work out for you and your family.
Old Feb 4th 2014, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
By the way, I have carefully observed how my extended New Zealand family, who don't earn very much, gets by. I won't bore you with details, but I can't imagine anyone who isn't used to such a life could find it bearable, let alone worth migrating for. Let's just say you'd have to learn to live on a miserable and monotonous diet, seriously harden up and supress your desire for physical comfort and forget about your previous notions of hygiene! I guess in a few decades they'll eventually reap the rewards.
Isn't this called; living on the bread line?

It's hardly a phenomenon restricted to New Zealand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.