Reload this Page >

Work/ life balance?

Work/ life balance?

Old Jan 26th 2014, 10:47 am
Just Joined

stumilburn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work/ life balance?

Greetings all from a far!(Wet Uk)

I ve been a regular reader, infrequent poster for the last couple of years as I have been "toying" with the idea of moving to NZ for 5 years. (Qualifications verified, skilled visa paperwork etc virtually done and in limbo, 1 job offer taken then rejected...) I ve basically put it on hold as the time is not quite right for us as a family for lots of reasons. But I still keep one eye open!

Nevertheless I have changed a lot of my current circumstances for the better. I have changed to a less stressful job (but for a lot less money) and tend to have more days out with the family- walks in the lakes, forests, to beach etc. The weather doesn't get in the way. I do more exercise and generally have a healthly, richer life but not financially. So in a kind of way I ve emigrated but stayed put. (A lot of change.)

It interests me that a lot of people moan and groan about costs. For those who move for the NZ better lifestyle it seems to me they have left one rat race for another. If I eventually do take the plunge my living will be again totally change and will probably lead a fairly basic but fruitful life. I read on here about people being paid high wages but cant do this and cant do that? Is it about the money? Is it about the job? Is it about the area? Decide what really will make you happy and get the balance right.

You don't need money to be rich... I know it helps! We d all like a little more.
But keep reassessing your situation. As we all know what was "great" years ago may no longer be the case. Keep adapting.

A bit random I know... but just thoughts. Enjoy the summer!

Stu
Old Jan 26th 2014, 3:34 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work/ life balance?

you remind me of a friend I have - they've been "planning" their big move for the last 20 years and are a bit Del-boy Trotter …. "next year Rodney" etc etc.

Although moving is not an easy task and shouldn't be taken lightly, anything that you do is equally "undoable" so if it doesn't work out you can always return - this was our mentality almost 10 years ago and we ensured that our budget always allowed a get-out clause if things went tits-up.

Over the years I think it's less about what you "obtain" - i.e. physical stuff and financial balance, and more about what you and your kids 'gain" . NZ is not paradise, though it is lovely. England is no paradise, but believe me it's a lot better too than most of the world.

My advise to anyone considering a move would be to go for it and try it - even if things do go "tits up", then at least you've got the t-shirt and a good yarn to tell.

I love NZ, and always will. I also love England. (though as my profile suggests am not living in either currently). Our longterm plan is to live 6 months either side following the endless summer….. at least that's the plan once the kids are older, been through school, uni, weddings, etc etc etc and if there's any cash left for us!!!

good luck
Old Jan 27th 2014, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Helen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to all

Hello,

We've been discussing emigrating since we met (6 years ago...!). We nearly moved to Canada two years ago and the USA last year but a lot of things fell through, possibly also due to a 'should we/shouldn't we attitude.

We got married three years ago and promised we'd be out of the UK in a year...doing that famous Trotter thing too!

Finally had enough of procrastinating and went to an expo for Canada, Australia and New Zealand in October 2013, having spent three years saving money up as 'back up'. Got talking to some very lovely NZ folk and OH applied for a job there and then...wasn't expecting him to do that but, when in the moment and all that!

Two months later, he was signing his contract with them, I'm organising visas, shipping and everything else admin. It still doesn't seem real but, if you see an opportunity, grab it!

It's just us two, so I guess it's easier as we don't have to worry about kids etc but it's still some thing I thought we'd never do because we were endlessly making excuses as to why we hadn't made a move yet...

We're going to get out there and see how we like it. We're aware we may have to adapt quickly and work on being flexible but the excitement of the adventure make it worthwhile for us.

Just my experience and two cents. Not sure if it's just ramble.

Last edited by Helen256; Jan 27th 2014 at 6:16 pm. Reason: Spelling
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Used to live in London, now live in Auckland with a wife and 3 year old daughter.

Household income is $125k, we pay $1,900 per month on our mortgage and then pay for food, bills (inc. Sky and Internet), rates, insurances, childcare, gym, etc and are putting money away on a monthly basis.

So whilst, I would say NZ is generally more expensive (if you insist on exchanging the dollar to sterling) it's more than possible to have an excellent work/life balance.

Putting cash away for a rainy day is an entirely different beast. We manage to do it. But we all cut our cloth differently of course and it obviously also depends on earnings.

This is why I give you our household income and mortage repayments. We will all have an income and a mortgage or pay rent, the rest is down to personal preference. I know a couple who live in bliss out on the West coast with no internet or TV of any kind!!

Personally, I feel I'm both a better husband and better father in Auckland than I was in London. This factor alone has made things worth it.

Also, I find that whilst food shopping is perhaps a tad more expensive, internet is way more expensive, two other constants in our lives are actually vastly cheaper; our leisure time and Childcare. This is quite pertinent when you consider that leisure time is also more plentiful.

We paid 10K GBP a year for childcare in London. Auckland is about $8.5K a year.

Even without the free 20 hours it would be much cheaper.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Jan 27th 2014 at 9:49 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Household income is $125k, we pay $1,900 per month on our mortgage
Wow - that is a small mortgage. Most mortgages we had been looking at (prior to October 2013) were in the region of $3,000-4,000 NZD a month.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
Wow - that is a small mortgage. Most mortgages we had been looking at (prior to October 2013) were in the region of $3,500-4,000 NZD a month.
Yep, a death led to my wife getting a reasonable inheritance.

It seems to be one of only a few ways to get on the property ladder these days.

We could have gone down the route of a nice 3 or 4 bed house and a $3.5k+ mortgage, but decided to buy a couple of apartments; the one we live in and one that is yet to be constructed. One or both will be rented out in time. Thinking long term here.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Jan 27th 2014 at 9:48 pm.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 8:28 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Good of you to share those figures TL.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
Good of you to share those figures TL.
No worries.

This is a topic that will come up time and again for people who are about to or are thinking of the move and needs to be kept current and answered honestly.

Several people were so helpful and honest in my preparation to emigrate when I asked a similar question;

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=783222

I guess whilst I am aware I do come across as a curmudgeonly ogre on some matters discussed on here, I still always remember the spirit to which am internet forum such as this is intended away from the debating.

A little bit of give, a little bit of take - just like any (harmonious?) community. Whether it be cyber based or real life!!

Last edited by TommyLuck; Jan 27th 2014 at 10:15 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

I also fall into the 'Trotter' category

I'm in the UK and I currently have a 28hr week contract and usually work a 30-35 hr week. Staff on a 35hr contract work a 40hr+ week. At certain times of year it's not uncommon for me to work a 35-40hr week. All overtime is unpaid.

I used to hear that NZ jobs had longer hours, most seem to be a 40hr week, but that you actually work less as the culture is that you only work your contracted hours. However, in the latest series of 'Wanted Down Under' the guidance is now that many NZ jobs with a 40hr week contract expect you to work a 50hr week.

Given that the salaries for most professional jobs in NZ are only half to two thirds what they are in the UK and cost of living seems to be similar (taking everything into account with some things being less and others more) with housing costs outside Auckland being 20% higher to where I live now I'm querying why we would move half way round the world to earn less, have a higher mortgage and work even longer hours.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Purrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond reputePurrball has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
...I'm querying why we would move half way round the world to earn less, have a higher mortgage and work even longer hours.

Because when you do have some time off, you can have an outdoors/nature/space focussed life that's more difficult to achieve in the UK. Owning a small boat for instance, or being able to fish and hunt for very little cost... or simply being able to have a garden to grow stuff, own some animals or get away to beautiful places and beaches where you can be swim and be alone. That's how living in New Zealand repays many people.

However, this may not appeal to everyone. On my last visit to New Zealand, staying with different people in different towns, think I became a little bored after the umpteenth suggestion that we all go out for a walk somewhere. But I live in central London, lots to do and see which suits me... and I like the buzz of crowds and the ease of public transport in the city and to parts of the country and the rest of the EU.

It all comes down to your personal preferences on how you wish to live your life, which is why I would never unequivocally recommend moving out to New Zealand for everyone. Some people love and thrive in that sort of environment, others don't.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
Given that the salaries for most professional jobs in NZ are only half to two thirds what they are in the UK and cost of living seems to be similar (taking everything into account with some things being less and others more) with housing costs outside Auckland being 20% higher to where I live now I'm querying why we would move half way round the world to earn less, have a higher mortgage and work even longer hours.
Indeed all very valid questions; everyone seems to assume that moving across the world will miraculously provide extra available hours in the week.

My commute to work in Auckland is no less or no more than it was in London; albeit only half the distance . Money is just about getting close to what I was earning in London in 2005 after having chopped and changed jobs several times and fought for every cent. My contracted hours in London were 35 hours 9 to 5 and sometimes I worked longer because I wanted to and I thought my pay and other benefits compensated me more than adequately for doing so.

Here my contracted hours are 40 per week and guess what? They expect me to work longer and try to make me feel guilty for leaving work on time. I don't feel that my pay warrants my giving them any extra time but there's plenty others that do and they seemingly are there well before me and still there well after I have gone.

I notice a lot more expectation for folks here to work above and beyond the call of duty (or at least be seen to do so) We're very much into the bums on seats mentality with people 'bragging' about how early they were there and what time they left the night before. My take is they may be in the office at 7am but still manage to achieve absolutely stuff all before 9am other than read the paper, make elaborate breakfast and have coffee.

There is generally more expectation for folks to be switched on all the time and respond to e-mails and phone out of hours and at weekends and when on leave. In eight years of working here I have had two whole days of sickness on separate days and both times I was pestered constantly on the phone and expected to answer e-mails.

Mileage will of course vary and I daresay there will be some winners ad some losers. On the whole though most office types will be net losers with usual office hours at 40 per week with four weeks leave and UK generally 35 hours with 5 weeks leave.

In my experience the opportunities to get to do stuff in and around the UK and beyond in Europe etc far exceed what's available to do here and are more within reach due to having more disposable income and better transport options.

When you visit other parts of the UK you're very aware that you arrived in a new County / somewhere different, local delicacies, different food, different local brands, different shops and pubs with interesting choices, people with different accents etc. all add variety and add up to that feeling of having 'been somewhere'.

I know people will hate me, but so what's new - when in NZ wherever you go, it's pretty much just more of the same bland homogenous groundhog day - same shops, a crappy motel or seven, surrounded by a slightly different arrangement of green fields, sheep, cows and fences.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I know people will hate me, but so what's new - when in NZ wherever you go, it's pretty much just more of the same bland homogenous groundhog day - same shops, a crappy motel or seven, surrounded by a slightly different arrangement of green fields, sheep, cows and fences.
This is very true, a long drive feels like a Scooby Do chase scene where the back drop just keeps repeating. I found it weird at Xmas people telling me they were going off to some place that sounded just like here but with much less to do.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
This is very true, a long drive feels like a Scooby Do chase scene where the back drop just keeps repeating. I found it weird at Xmas people telling me they were going off to some place that sounded just like here but with much less to do.
Germans have a word for this feeling: Inselkoller - something like 'island psychosis' in English. I guess if you are used to living in the middle of Europe surrounded by many countries, moving to an island can be difficult. It certainly made me feel 'constrained'.

Last edited by Assanah; Jan 28th 2014 at 10:34 am.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

Helen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Assanah
Germans have a word for this feeling: Inselkoller - something like 'island psychosis' in English. I guess if you are used to living in the middle of Europe surrounded by many countries, moving to an island can be difficult. It certainly made me feel 'constrained'.
Although, my friend recently moved to California with all that space and America stuff to do, she still feels' constrained'.

I'm currently on the little island that is the UK and felt like I've had itchy feet for a while. I'm quite looking forward to the relative peace...but then ask me again in six months time once we're there and I've got my head into it!

I think I'm trying to say life is what you make it without sounding like a Pratt....possibly succeeded in doing so. Sorry
Old Jan 28th 2014, 9:19 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I'd go along with that. A person can get stir crazy with the sameness of it all. Sounds un-appreciative of what is around me I realise but I've been here for TEN YEARS now and feel I have earned the entitlement to write this truth for me & to crave diversity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.