Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Will we struggle on $65K please

Will we struggle on $65K please

Old Apr 19th 2013, 6:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Will we struggle on $65K please

Karma for a friday evening giggle BarnsleyMatt.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 8:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I'd say it was easily closer to 3 than 2, maybe 3 is slightly high, maybe 2.75 might be a better guide.
I agree with that its 2.75 to 3 x the cost of most things and therein lies the mismatch in expectations in income versus cost of living, because it simply doesn't translate the same for salaries.

When we came here (prior to recession) $2.75 to the pound was a fairly average exchange - in terms of purchasing powere nothing has changed except obviously the amount of pounds we can now buy with our Kiwi dollars has risen. That's all!!

Despite shenaningans on global stock markets and all manner of money printing schemes and worldwide bank collapses; our NZ pay is the same and the cost of things still stayed the same (or have risen). We didn't get a discount because the pound fell or the bottom dropped out of whatever global financial market. I think some imported cars TVs and appliances may be slightly cheaper due to the favourabe exchange - can't say it's totally obvious though, as they were horrendously overpriced.

Salaries and house prices however are completely separate basket cases, I never knew anyone who could achieve 2.75 to 3 x their UK pay. People shouldn't be fooled: NZ $65,000 will look or feel anything like £32,500

It's no wonder so many expats get into financial strife, if they're of the belief that NZ$100k equates to a lifestyle of someone earning fifty thousand pounds.
Old Apr 19th 2013, 12:06 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Did you mean "won't" in your penultimate sentence?

I agree that there's simply no way a £25k UK salary will feel like a $50k NZ salary or a £50k UK salary will feel like a $100k NZ one. If I had a £50k UK salary outside of London I'd be wanting something >$120k outside of Auckland, and >$160 in Auckland. But it really depends on how much mortgage you'll need too.
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 9:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Things have changed a lot in 2 years, especially in Auckland and the housing market. It really depends on what you guys want.

According to QVstats website, the average 3-bed house on the North Shore is now 720,000+. A coastal 3-bed house is in the region of 850K NZD.

I've recently got a new job, big pay rise and guess what the banks still won't lend to us to buy a mortgage. Even though the value of a house we want to buy is 2.5x our joint income.

Between us we have a household income over 150K NZD, we don't struggle financially, but even on that money we drive a small 1.4 hatchback, rent in one of the few cheaper areas in Auckland and rarely take holidays or even do trips away now. Its only by doing that which allows us to save relatively well.

Really think about your reasons for coming out here. If its for the experience, then great. If its to provide a better life and think you are better off financially, think again. My advice would be to look in Europe or elsewhere in GB.

I hope the Kiwi dollar stays strong for another 1-2 years so that money we at least benefit on money that we send back to the UK.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Completely agree with comments above about salary comparisions. I'd say 40K in the UK is about 100K NZD (all pre-tax values).