Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Shipping just a car to NZ from the UK?

Shipping just a car to NZ from the UK?

Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold
Default Shipping just a car to NZ from the UK?

Hello All,

Has anyone done this?

If so, can you give me some advice please.
After looking at some of the prices of cars over here, especially a classic, im thinking of shipping one over from the UK.

Thanks guys

Gary.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping just a car to NZ from the UK?

There was a thread about this not long ago, have a little search.
I shipped a '67 VW camper - huge mistake. If you are shipping something old make sure you'll be able to get a WOF and registration. Any whiff of rust on an old car and you are f*#^ed.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you've got a newish car to bring over I'd say steer well clear of the idea.
It's a lot of money to get any vehicle over here - around £1500 for a motorbike, around £2000 for a car and more for a larger vehicle.
There's a lot of red tape to go through, letters of compliance required from the manufacturer and once it lands there's no guarantee its going to get through customs, MAF, VTNZ compliance then the Warrant of fitness test which is all extra dollars and can't be quoted for by a transportation company.
I've read many horror stories of people spending thousands of dollars trying to get classic cars through compliance and registered only to give up leaving them rotting in a garage somewhere.
I got quotes through PSS International but decided the costs were just way too expensive.
We opted to sell in the UK before we came and just bought a couple of used cars and a motorbike when we arrived.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Thanks guys,
I was looking at buying either a Sierrs Cosworth or an 850 BMW. I was looking at buying them from the UK while here in New Zealand and having them sent here. The savings or even resale values are real good, but as you say can be expensive, now im wondering is it really worth it....
I'l think about it.. Thanks again guys.

Gary.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wessa View Post
Thanks guys,
I was looking at buying either a Sierrs Cosworth or an 850 BMW. I was looking at buying them from the UK while here in New Zealand and having them sent here. The savings or even resale values are real good, but as you say can be expensive, now im wondering is it really worth it....

Gary.
I understand your idea as you just can't buy that sort of vehicle here, but in all honesty I'd doubt if you would ever be able to satisfy compliance or meet emmissions standards.
Would be too risky for me to attempt it.
It's such a shame though especially when you see some of the rubbish people drive here
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by escapedtonz View Post
I understand your idea as you just can't buy that sort of vehicle here, but in all honesty I'd doubt if you would ever be able to satisfy compliance or meet emmissions standards.
Would be too risky for me to attempt it.
It's such a shame though especially when you see some of the rubbish people drive here
Thanks for your honesty.
I know what your saying about cars here.

It's i really miss a real tidy car.. especially as you can grab a rare exspensive car here for a quater of the price over there and soooo much cleaner.. I will be going back in a few weeks for a week or so and will be gutted to know its so hard to have one of these cars in New Zealand...

Cheers mate.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

At least we have our saviour's tho sitting in the garage for those dry days eh!
Nothing like being able to muller the bike around these roads......who cares about fast cars anymore ha ha!

Take it easy mate.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

At least we have our saviour's tho sitting in the garage for those dry days eh!
Nothing like being able to muller the bike around these roads......who cares about fast cars anymore ha ha!

Take it easy mate.
Haha, yeah mate. Iv'e two bikes now.
Just found one of three ZX7RR's left in NZ and i've restored it.. All the parts came from the UK !

Only eight ever came into NZ and they go for a fortune in the UK.
So, once the winter has gone, Il be back out on the roads outta chch..
Maybe catch out there..
Old Apr 21st 2013, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Haha, yeah mate. Iv'e two bikes now.
Just found one of three ZX7RR's left in NZ and i've restored it.. All the parts came from the UK !

Only eight ever came into NZ and they go for a fortune in the UK.
So, once the winter has gone, Il be back out on the roads outta chch..
Maybe catch out there..
Cool. Ive just got the one....2011 GSR750.
My UK biking buddy from years back has just migrated to ChCh and his Gixxer thou on its way in a shipping container. Should have it mid May.
Hoping to get a few trips down there on the bike for long weekends this coming summer.
Planning a trip to Wanganui road races Boxing Day with him and his work mates who are all bikers if the wife lets me off the leash.
I work for Transpower and also planning a bike tour of the SI in summer to see some of the generation sites with a colleague on his R1 - just hope we pull it off.

Shipping just a car to NZ from the UK?-gsr750.jpg
Old Apr 21st 2013, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Cool. Ive just got the one....2011 GSR750.
My UK biking buddy from years back has just migrated to ChCh and his Gixxer thou on its way in a shipping container. Should have it mid May.
Hoping to get a few trips down there on the bike for long weekends this coming summer.
Planning a trip to Wanganui road races Boxing Day with him and his work mates who are all bikers if the wife lets me off the leash.
I work for Transpower and also planning a bike tour of the SI in summer to see some of the generation sites with a colleague on his R1 - just hope we pull it off.

Attachment 112038
Holy crap..lol.. I work for Electrix who contract to Transpower as you know in the North and South Island, we have just finished at Pole 3 at Benmore.. Small world eh mate.. Let me know if you do a SI trip, would be great to meet up.
Also let your mate know he can contact me as i will be in ChCh soon enough..

Nice bike too mate, i looked at one of those recently, real nice....
Old Apr 21st 2013, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Holy crap..lol.. I work for Electrix who contract to Transpower as you know in the North and South Island, we have just finished at Pole 3 at Benmore.. Small world eh mate.. Let me know if you do a SI trip, would be great to meet up.
Also let your mate know he can contact me as i will be in ChCh soon enough..

Nice bike too mate, i looked at one of those recently, real nice....
Blimey! Small world for sure.
For my sins I deal with the DC every day at work as Im a Power System Coordinator so dispatch it in real time and have been at the blunt end of the testing trying to make it all work right in the Market System.
It's been a long process and many tests still remain. Defo keeps ya on ya toes during a shift.
Yeah I'll defo keep ya in mind if I ever get over on the bike.
Cheers
Old Apr 22nd 2013, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

kodachrome is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys,

Gary.
Interesting, Im bringing over my 1993 850CSi when I go, well thats the plan. Just paid for the Statement of Compliance ($517) last week as the E31 BMW doesnt have a EU Compliance Plate on it. On the plus side, 20year+ old vehicles dont need to meet Emissions or Frontal Impact standards. AA NZ will be my Entry Certifier and have to say, they have gone above and beyond to help me prepare documents etc, very impressed.

Bear in mind however you also have to pay GST Import Duty if you dont own the vehicle for over 1 year prior to Importation:

have personally owned and used the
vehicle or boat overseas for at least
one year before the date of their
departure for New Zealand, or for
at least one year before the date that
the vehicle or boat is surrendered
for shipping (or, where the boat is
imported other than as cargo, the
date of its departure for
New Zealand), whichever is the
earlier, and
Old Apr 23rd 2013, 7:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kodachrome View Post
Interesting, Im bringing over my 1993 850CSi when I go, well thats the plan. Just paid for the Statement of Compliance ($517) last week as the E31 BMW doesnt have a EU Compliance Plate on it. On the plus side, 20year+ old vehicles dont need to meet Emissions or Frontal Impact standards. AA NZ will be my Entry Certifier and have to say, they have gone above and beyond to help me prepare documents etc, very impressed.

Bear in mind however you also have to pay GST Import Duty if you dont own the vehicle for over 1 year prior to Importation:
Thanks for the info.. Doesn't seem that bad after all.. Wonder if i can get the compliance cert over here for a BMW over there..
You'l have to let us know how the shift goes eh.. Thanks.