Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Wiki Information Required Please

Wiki Information Required Please

Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:14 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Wiki Information Required Please

Looking for a bit of help from people, especially those with good solid knowledge of various visa types and processes.

The BE Wiki has a few threads in the NZ section which need some reviewing and updating. We currently have no entries for the following City Guides;

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Christchurch_City_Guide
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Dunedin_City_Guide
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Gisborne_City_Guide
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Hastings_City_Guide
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Napier_City_Guide
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Nelson_City_Guide
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Plymouth_City_Guide
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Palmer...rth_City_Guide
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Rotorua_City_Guide
Plus Timaru, Wanganui and Whangarei.

Auckland, Tauranga and Wellington could benefit from some more info too.

We could also do with some more new articles in there in anyone feels so inclined

Its not a replacement for the forums themselves, just a good solid info base that can be linked to for some of the more frequently asked questions, so if anyone feels like having a go.....

Sue from admin has mention that if anyone wants to start a new page and they don't really understand what they are doing they can pm her and tell her what they want the page title to be and she can set one up for you. But having said that it's quite straightforward.

All help appreciated - have a look at Canada's Wiki - let's see if we can get up to their standard!

Last edited by Am Loolah; Jan 25th 2009 at 6:27 am.
Old Jan 29th 2009, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wiki Information Required Please

Just a suggestion if someone has the time and know how, perhaps they could add some blank pages with subcategories etc added that could be edited later. I think people would be more inclined to contribute if it was easier to navigate and they just had to edit and type in the information.

I've struggled big time and for most of us novices I imagine it's all tooo hard.

Some deas for categories:

Real Estate / Housing / Buying a House / Auctions / Renting

Finance: Banking / Taxes / IRD

Starting a Business

Education / Schools / Universities

Cost of Living / Budgeting
Old Jan 30th 2009, 11:16 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Just a suggestion if someone has the time and know how, perhaps they could add some blank pages with subcategories etc added that could be edited later. I think people would be more inclined to contribute if it was easier to navigate and they just had to edit and type in the information.

I've struggled big time and for most of us novices I imagine it's all tooo hard.

Some deas for categories:

Real Estate / Housing / Buying a House / Auctions / Renting

Finance: Banking / Taxes / IRD

Starting a Business

Education / Schools / Universities

Cost of Living / Budgeting
Great idea, I'll see if I can find the time at the weekend to add some of those as pages for others to add content to.
Old Jan 30th 2009, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Hi Sue,
Is there anyway we can add/edit subcategories as at the moment it only allows editing\adding categories and several people have asked to add subcategories and not been able to?
Regards
Julian
Old Jan 30th 2009, 6:12 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julesnye
Hi Sue,
Is there anyway we can add/edit subcategories as at the moment it only allows editing\adding categories and several people have asked to add subcategories and not been able to?
Regards
Julian
Could you give me an example of what you meant as I'm not following.

Ta
Old Feb 3rd 2009, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Currently, we can only add/edit categories in the Wiki guides etc, as there are no tabs to allow you to add/edit subcategories.

Hope this is clearer.
Old Feb 4th 2009, 1:19 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Currently, we can only add/edit categories in the Wiki guides etc, as there are no tabs to allow you to add/edit subcategories.

Hope this is clearer.
Sorry I'm still a bit lost. Do you mean this page?
Old Feb 4th 2009, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

yeeeees
Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:49 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

yeeeees
Okay, what do you want added/changed on it?
Old Feb 5th 2009, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Just wanted to be able to add\edit subcategories as we can in the category part
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:16 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Just wanted to be able to add\edit subcategories as we can in the category part
Anyone can add a sub-category. What you have to do is type the name of the sub-category you want in the url bar, making sure you include the word category: eg
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:New_Zealand_Schools

Then click the "edit tab" and make sure you add a tag back to the main NZ wiki page, eg:
[[Category:New Zealand|Schools]]

If you want to add a different sub-category just change the subject but keep the New Zealand bit, eg http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Category:New_Zealand_Shopping

[[Category:New Zealand|Shopping]]
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cheers Sue,
Thanks for the info, I'll get round to testing it when I've got a free moment
Old Feb 5th 2009, 1:35 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Cheers Sue,
Thanks for the info, I'll get round to testing it when I've got a free moment
No probs, let me know if you need any further help. Sorry it took me so long to twig what you wanted.