Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Wiki - How Many Read It?

The Wiki - How Many Read It?

Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:55 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The Wiki - How Many Read It?

For all of you in the UK, doing your homework for moving out here. How many of you use the "Wiki" to research comments from ex-pats about your chosen destination?

Would it be useful to have a contacts list of Ex-Pats from here who nominate themselves as "sounding boards" under your city of choice? This way you could cut to the chase and send them a PM enquiring after that area and any knowledge they may have.

Or, if you don't use the "Wiki" (why not?!) where would it be useful to have a list of ex-pats happy to receive your PM's regarding your queries for that area?

Confused????

Welcome to my world ...
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:23 pm
Just Joined

mutley and smiler has a brilliant futuremutley and smiler has a brilliant futuremutley and smiler has a brilliant futuremutley and smiler has a brilliant futuremutley and smiler has a brilliant futuremutley and smiler has a brilliant futuremutley and smiler has a brilliant future
Default Re: The Wiki - How Many Read It?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
For all of you in the UK, doing your homework for moving out here. How many of you use the "Wiki" to research comments from ex-pats about your chosen destination?

Would it be useful to have a contacts list of Ex-Pats from here who nominate themselves as "sounding boards" under your city of choice? This way you could cut to the chase and send them a PM enquiring after that area and any knowledge they may have.

Or, if you don't use the "Wiki" (why not?!) where would it be useful to have a list of ex-pats happy to receive your PM's regarding your queries for that area?

Confused????

Welcome to my world ...
Sorry I'm being dim - do you mean wikipedia? -if not what am I missing ????????

Yes it would be very useful

Thanks

Last edited by mutley and smiler; Jul 17th 2008 at 12:29 pm. Reason: I was being Dim just found it on the top of the screen _ doh
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I have looked at it before (only recently). From what I have seen, I think it is useful, but I think with a little more information on there it could be even better.

Also, as I usually head straight for the forums, I didn't realise it was there. It isn't very visible at the top of the page and could benefit from being more prominent, perhaps a link from within the forum may be better? I only stumbled upon it when I was randomly clicking!

Moomoo
Old Jul 17th 2008, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

gina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of lightgina and danny is a glorious beacon of light

i think a contacts list is an excellent idea, i think they have one on the aus forum.im still in the uk at the moment but once i find my feet in welly i would put my name down for helping people out.

gina x
Old Jul 17th 2008, 6:19 pm
Forum Regular

nic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to all
Post Re: The Wiki - How Many Read It?

i think it would be an excellent idea, it might save some of the daft questions going onto an open form and us looking daft.... I know I have!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

i do scan the wiki fairly regularly - especially if i'm looking for something specific, i'll check the wiki first before doing a search on the threads... it would be good if a lot of the info in the threads was transferred to the wiki, but who's going to do that?!?

anyway, yes, i too think a list of willing and able expats would be cool too!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 7:26 pm
** My Beautiful Angel **

mum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant futuremum-dad-3-little people has a brilliant future

What a fab idea, i'm always asking daft questions which are important to me but funny to others.
It may also stop some bickering on here and people taking the p*** out of people genuine questions. :curse:
When i arrive in CHCH i would be only to happy to help others.
SO PUT MY NAME DOWN
Old Jul 17th 2008, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Yup have used the Wiki a few times having been directed to it from a thread. A list of people who don't mind PM's would be good, but will it limit the rest of us from seeing the advise and perhaps causing the same question to be asked over and over??? Just a thought
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:41 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Stoof
it would be good if a lot of the info in the threads was transferred to the wiki, but who's going to do that?!?
All of us can add info we have or anything helpful into the Wiki. I keep meaning to get to grips with it and have a real splurge on transferring the useful info I know to be on the board into it, starting with the Useful Thread. Somehow, I still haven't started yet.
The Canadian Wiki is the bees knees when it comes to BE Wikidom. It'd be good if the NZ one was the same.
Old Jul 18th 2008, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

a contacts list of Ex-Pats from here who nominate themselves as "sounding boards" under your city of choice?
I'm not sure this would be too good an idea, as surely that would waterdown the many varied views and experiences to the few, who might not have the knowledge in certain situations? Just a thought and IMHO!
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:53 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by julesnye
I'm not sure this would be too good an idea, as surely that would waterdown the many varied views and experiences to the few, who might not have the knowledge in certain situations? Just a thought and IMHO!
All good comments, thank you. I can understand that it might remove some queries that would be helpful to the masses, but at the same time be helpful to those who knew where they were going to, to make contact with "real" people.

A "work in progress" perhaps - it could be an option to add "contact" users on the Wiki for when people have things all booked and would like to have a personal contact in their town/area of choice?
Old Jul 19th 2008, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

IngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond reputeIngStina has a reputation beyond repute

How about when someone asks a question which would benefit others and the personal contact could add it to the Wiki and it would be there for others to read instead of asking again? Hope that makes sense.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 2:44 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

I have a confession: I have looked at wiki - out of interest mostly - and thought "oh,there could be X mentioned then" or "a mention of Y would be helpful there".

But then, i was too lazy to update it. I suppose I should smack my hand out of naughty laziness now?!!
Old Jul 21st 2008, 8:55 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Confused????

Welcome to my world ...
Yes I have read Ruben's book, he did enlighten me into the ways of Otara and infact he lives near us so I could just go and knock on his door if anyone would like anymore of his wisdom. Never really realised he was so influential!