Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why is paint so expensive in NZ?

Why is paint so expensive in NZ?

Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:22 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why is paint so expensive in NZ?

I often ponder why paint is so expensive in NZ. Many other imported manufactures are competitively priced, probably closer to USA prices than UK ones.

(For an interesting article on why UK prices for imported manufactures are dearer than US ones, read this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/mai...28/ixcoms.html )

Going back to NZ, any idea why paint costs so much?

Is there a tariff on paint imports?
Old Mar 28th 2005, 6:47 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Why is paint so expensive in NZ?

I agree its expensive in comparrison to most places.I also questioned this with bicycles, which next to Australia are the most expensive in the world!It turned out the importers are the ones making a sack full of cash.I could buy the same bike cheaper by importing it myself from the UK,including airfare than my friend who is a retailer could buy it wholesale....work that one out.Anyhow, after all the excuses under the sun all they could say is they have to charge so much to honour the warrenty......rubbish!Daylight robbery is more like it.I've since come across a few things like this, but if it bothers you just order it online and import it.
Just to look at this the other way,how come air con fitting on a toyota from new here costs an extra 1200$,yet the identical same parts made by denso fitted to the same vehicle in the uk costs in excess of 2000 pounds?No logic to it but it does make me question the price of pretty much everything before swiping the card.Its called having gorse in my pockets according to the kiwis
Old Mar 28th 2005, 8:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

I was aghast when I decided to buy a few small pots of paint to match up with the colours in my new home. Shocking price. Amazing that houses are made that need to be painted.

Really bumps up the cost of Panel Repairs too. Need to repair damage to a couple of panels on my Nissan. Run down of the bill:
Labour $210
Materials $40
Paint $440!!!!!!!!!!!
Total $690 + GST.
Back in the UK in May but don't fancy popping silver paint in the wife's suitcase (mine will be full of curry ingredients and blank DVDs).
Roger
Old Mar 28th 2005, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roger
I was aghast when I decided to buy a few small pots of paint to match up with the colours in my new home. Shocking price. Amazing that houses are made that need to be painted.

Really bumps up the cost of Panel Repairs too. Need to repair damage to a couple of panels on my Nissan. Run down of the bill:
Labour $210
Materials $40
Paint $440!!!!!!!!!!!
Total $690 + GST.
Back in the UK in May but don't fancy popping silver paint in the wife's suitcase (mine will be full of curry ingredients and blank DVDs).
Roger
Was it Nissan specific paint by any chance?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:46 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Labour $210
Materials $40
Paint $440!!!!!!!!!!!
Total $690 + GST.
Roger
I understand the suitcase full of blank DVD's as they are a ridiculous in NZ but why the curry ingredients?? What sort of ingredients for curry cant you get in NZ If you think they are lacking in NZ dont head to the US then cos Im having one heck of a time getting good curry ingredients over here too. Never thought it a problem in NZ when I was home but maybe you do it different in the UK
Cheers
Old Mar 30th 2005, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Roger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the roughRoger is a jewel in the rough

Not sure about the Nissan paint. This was from a local panel beaters.

You can get most of the curry ingredients here in Hawkes Bay (the Indians are poor, probabaly due to the lack of Bangladeshy chefs). However you can make some great quickie Chinese Curry Sauces which I can't find. Great for making sauce to go with chips (totally lost on Kiwis until they try it).
Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about

Not sure about the Nissan paint. This was from a local panel beaters.

You can get most of the curry ingredients here in Hawkes Bay (the Indians are poor, probabaly due to the lack of Bangladeshy chefs). However you can make some great quickie Chinese Curry Sauces which I can't find. Great for making sauce to go with chips (totally lost on Kiwis until they try it).

watch yourself Roger, you have just said something is lost of Kiwi's! I have been burned at the stake for just living in a nice area of Christchurch. I am sure you will have a few at you now!
Old Mar 30th 2005, 7:30 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cassa
watch yourself Roger, you have just said something is lost of Kiwi's! I have been burned at the stake for just living in a nice area of Christchurch. I am sure you will have a few at you now!
A Kiwi wouldn't be the only person to be lost at the idea of curry sauce and chips. Yeuck. Sorry, not being judgemental but the only people I've ever known to like chips and curry sauce didn't like a 'real', made from scratch, curry. If anyone needs a good indian receipe have a look for the Australian Woman's Weekly range of cook books. I bought an Indian and a Greek one in London and they are marvellous.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

"Curry sauce and chips", it's as British as the Sausage sizzle is to the Kiwis. And if you were feeling flush, Curry sauce, rice and chips.

As much as I love the above, I do like and make a rather nice {even if I say so myself} "real" chicken tikka massala.

Gill
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

I never had any trouble in Wellington finding any ingrediants. I used a Madah Jaffrey (not sure if I got her name right) and used to make lovely curries every Friday night. Supermarket for the basics but we did have an excellent Indian wholesaler nearby, not to mention a fantastic Greek importer and a Dutch importer. Wow, getting hungry now!!
I have more trouble sourcing ingrediants in Asda.
Happy curry cooking
KAZ