Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why NZ can be perceived as being 'boring'

Why NZ can be perceived as being 'boring'

Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why NZ can be perceived as being 'boring'

Its so far away from the 'real' world. Lots of many small minded people who are not very well travelled thus have a somewhat blinkered view on life IMO.....and also quite insular in a number of ways.

Lack of an understandable sense of humour. Awful TV and newspapers. Costs an arm and a leg to get anywhere hence the untravelled masses!!!!

Lack of culture and historic buildings (proper ones!)..it is too young a country to have the latter.

Lack of variety of things to do apparently, lots does seem to circulate around hunting and sport. Generally shite (full of e numbers, colourings and the like) overpriced food by comparison from where I came, namely a Sainsburys Superstore.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice
Default Re: Why NZ can be perceived as being 'boring'

i think new zealand is very nice when you first get here, lots of new things to see and do, then as time progresses you realise new zealand has not done the same.

I went to Sydney for the first time a few months back and it was the first time in a good few years I felt at home, it was busy, theres lots going on, good shops, cheap flights etc. Sadly I couldnt afford to live there unless we downsized dramatically
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:07 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

I like Wellington at least it feels more alive then other places, but yes new Zealand is nice, lovely summers and we have a bigger house with large garden thought was great at first but after 4 years I try my best to enjoy it as much as I can. Hopefully move on in the future, only thing that's keeping me going.

I work instore as a demostrater I'm bubbly and friendly, the only people that get me seem the English that I've met. Well some of them anyway

I would rather downsize and be happy

Last edited by love30stm; Aug 1st 2011 at 7:10 am.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:09 am
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dubstar
i think new zealand is very nice when you first get here, lots of new things to see and do, then as time progresses you realise new zealand has not done the same.

I went to Sydney for the first time a few months back and it was the first time in a good few years I felt at home, it was busy, theres lots going on, good shops, cheap flights etc. Sadly I couldnt afford to live there unless we downsized dramatically
Gotcha. It is do-able. My salary, for the same job, went from $68,000 in NZ to $106,000 in Oz. Sue had less of an increase, but did not like the job she had arranged from NZ, quit on the first day, then walked straight into another one - 4 hours later!. She is getting full training, full support and now has a really good career as opposed to a 'job'. In a couple of years, her salary will have gone from evens to double.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:10 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Perhaps. For some. It is.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:21 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

As a family of 5, it is extremely expensive to get around and 'see' NZ
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

I found when living there previously that I got on a whole lot better with people who had spent time overseas and had an understanding of the world outside of NZ.

With anyone else the conversation would soon dry up beyond sport and agriculture.

That is why we wont be moving back to the 'One Horse Town' (my Kiwi husbands words, not mine) that we lived in before.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by martyc
I found when living there previously that I got on a whole lot better with people who had spent time overseas and had an understanding of the world outside of NZ.

With anyone else the conversation would soon dry up beyond sport and agriculture.

That is why we wont be moving back to the 'One Horse Town' (my Kiwi husbands words, not mine) that we lived in before.
Yes me too, but then most of my friends are British ! We are trying our best to get out of this one horse town.

Or to quote by someone who moved to Oz NZ Is like one big farm
Old Aug 1st 2011, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

dubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nicedubstar is just really nice

Originally Posted by billingham
Gotcha. It is do-able. My salary, for the same job, went from $68,000 in NZ to $106,000 in Oz. Sue had less of an increase, but did not like the job she had arranged from NZ, quit on the first day, then walked straight into another one - 4 hours later!. She is getting full training, full support and now has a really good career as opposed to a 'job'. In a couple of years, her salary will have gone from evens to double.
I just seen a job i could doo with my hands tied behind me back for 50k more in qlnd. Sadly i got 15 and 16 year lads (well not sadly) but they are in school in middle of ncea's and i cannot move them because I am worried they will be behind the ozzie schooling system, what to do
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you there, Sydney just feels so much more alive, it has a visible history with some lovely old and 'stately' buildings and monuments.

NZ to me is bland, bland and more bland, you can go from one town to another and they are all the same; you've seen one place and you've pretty much seen them all. The scenery doesn't change much from green pastures with cows or sheep and the 'land' is not very accessible, there aren't nice country lanes, rivers or forest walks in places where you can just nip to for the day. If I am going to walk then there needs to be something at the end of it, a nice pub, somewhere to relax and have a nice meal but no, we womenfolks have to plan it all ahead and take a blooming picnic.

There's not even any gossip or conversation to keep you interested. Conversation what's that, hmmn well there's rugby or baking depending on whether you're in male or female company. People don't go anywhere much other than for coffee, don't do anything much, don't go anywhere interesting for the weekends or for their holidays and consequently don't have anything to talk about other than the sport they watched on TV; the cake they baked, or the value of their property.

The office banter and chit chat about what you did at the weekend, or the holidays - nothing! About the news anything controversial or funny that might have been on TV? Nothing! Coronation Street (heck they all watch it), nah not even a mention. It's like everyone is so wrapped up in their own little worlds.

People go out for dinner at 6pm and are back home in their beds before 8pm *Yawn*
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by martyc

That is why we wont be moving back to the 'One Horse Town'
So, where will you be moving to.

People go out for dinner at 6pm and are back home in their beds before 8pm
Erk. That is so true. We do that a lot here now.
Last weekend , I insisted we went out after having something to eat at around 6.30 pm. Everyone was safely behind their own doors by then, snoozing.

I blame the 4 o'clock swill. Seen it in action.

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 1st 2011 at 8:13 am.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:14 am

That's what I hate! No one has any life in them! I went out with a friend a few weeks ago rolled in at 2am a bit tipsy had a good time but when I mentioned that to my kiwi friends they looked shocked!! Haha

I hate when I go into town after seeing a movie that no one is around and can't pop into a packed pup after.

If I go out for a jog around 8 tish the streets are dead and lots or houses in darkness like the have gone to bed already !!
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I agree with you there, Sydney just feels so much more alive, it has a visible history with some lovely old and 'stately' buildings and monuments.

NZ to me is bland, bland and more bland, you can go from one town to another and they are all the same; you've seen one place and you've pretty much seen them all. The scenery doesn't change much from green pastures with cows or sheep and the 'land' is not very accessible, there aren't nice country lanes, rivers or forest walks in places where you can just nip to for the day. If I am going to walk then there needs to be something at the end of it, a nice pub, somewhere to relax and have a nice meal but no, we womenfolks have to plan it all ahead and take a blooming picnic.

There's not even any gossip or conversation to keep you interested. Conversation what's that, hmmn well there's rugby or baking depending on whether you're in male or female company. People don't go anywhere much other than for coffee, don't do anything much, don't go anywhere interesting for the weekends or for their holidays and consequently don't have anything to talk about other than the sport they watched on TV; the cake they baked, or the value of their property.

The office banter and chit chat about what you did at the weekend, or the holidays - nothing! About the news anything controversial or funny that might have been on TV? Nothing! Coronation Street (heck they all watch it), nah not even a mention. It's like everyone is so wrapped up in their own little worlds.

People go out for dinner at 6pm and are back home in their beds before 8pm *Yawn*
Thats sadly true, my two british work mates love a good old goss at work, and having a laugh at fat family challenge and big fat gypo wedding and miranda, its the simple things in life like that, that make a difference to your day x
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

Oh dear!
All those uneasy memories are coming back.
I remember meeting hubbies family/friends for the first time and noticing how they would segregate into two groups, male and female. Not like the big family knees ups that I was used to. Or being with my friends at home where the lads and lasses shared all topics of conversation equally. I would point this out to my husband after I hadn't been able to talk to him all evening until he could eventually see it for himself. Even then I could see that it was an effort for him to get away from the MEN himself as it was just what he was used to.
The only answer was to drag him back to England and Anglicise him for 14 years.
We have to go back to NZ for family reasons, but I'm determined to give myself the best chance by moving to a city.
Old Aug 1st 2011, 8:25 am
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats sadly true, my two british work mates love a good old goss at work, and having a laugh at fat family challenge and big fat gypo wedding and miranda, its the simple things in life like that, that make a difference to your day x
We had a great office in Auckland, 7 Brits - we were actually referred to as 'Little Britain'. Never laughed so much. Exploits / Gossip / merciless ribbing, and Radio Control helicopter fights around the office!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.