Why NZ ???

Old Feb 28th 2010, 7:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why NZ ???

Originally Posted by L more land and space and less people = [I
ahhh[/I], bliss

:
And I think thats why I am so content here. Just done the school, run and I am back home at 9am. I live on the edge of town so it has a rural feel yet just mins in the car to the town centre. My outlook is pretty much trees and mountains. And it is so quiet and still.

Went to a festival in town yesterday and the world and his wife were there..it was horrible and reminded me of why I left the UK..fortunately it only happens once a year!!!
Old Feb 28th 2010, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
And I think thats why I am so content here. Just done the school, run and I am back home at 9am. I live on the edge of town so it has a rural feel yet just mins in the car to the town centre. My outlook is pretty much trees and mountains. And it is so quiet and still.

Went to a festival in town yesterday and the world and his wife were there..it was horrible and reminded me of why I left the UK..fortunately it only happens once a year!!!
I like the sound of that. I hear traffic jams are a bit less severe too.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
I like the sound of that. I hear traffic jams are a bit less severe too.
Unless you live in one of the 3 main huge areas (ChCh, Wlltn, Akld) they are pretty much a thing of the past. The roads are totally crap by UK comparison (as is the driving standards) but they are empty!! Which is nice.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:09 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you live in one of the 3 main huge areas (ChCh, Wlltn, Akld) they are pretty much a thing of the past. The roads are totally crap by UK comparison (as is the driving standards) but they are empty!! Which is nice.
Come to Nelson/Tasman. Considering we pay no road tax they are fantastic- wide, loads of of room for off street parking, well signed and marked and well organised road works.
Now Leeds/ Bradford West Yorkshire- totally different kettle of fish.
Considering the Road Taxes we (the ones who taxed their cars) and the rates etc(those of us who paid rates) the Highways Agency never got enough funding.
Horrendous road surfaces constantly being dug up by various Utility works with no sign of cooperation or planning. Cones that became part of the street furniture, they were left there so long.
Narrow roads made even narrower by 2/3 car families living in houses with no off street parking let alone garages!
It began to take over 5 minutes to get down a normal suburban road, due to increase of parking jamming increased traffic. A journey of less than 30 secs before.
I used to fall asleep in the taxi on the way back from Manchester AP.
I always woke up after coming off the M62 due to the horrendous road surfaces/bumps and potholes approaching Leeds.
Here I just love the ability to move on roads.
They are so wide,with such small traffic volume, doing 50 seems a crawl- but I never/ never speed in urban areas. Out in the country I have been known to fly a little. but only a little, unintentionally.
Did I say I love the roads in NZ, as well as most everything else.
What I don't like is... Aw shucks it ain't worth mentioning!
XX
Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Come to Nelson/Tasman. Considering we pay no road tax they are fantastic- wide, loads of of room for off street parking, well signed and marked and well organised road works.
Now Leeds/ Bradford West Yorkshire- totally different kettle of fish.
Considering the Road Taxes we (the ones who taxed their cars) and the rates etc(those of us who paid rates) the Highways Agency never got enough funding.
Horrendous road surfaces constantly being dug up by various Utility works with no sign of cooperation or planning. Cones that became part of the street furniture, they were left there so long.
Narrow roads made even narrower by 2/3 car families living in houses with no off street parking let alone garages!
It began to take over 5 minutes to get down a normal suburban road, due to increase of parking jamming increased traffic. A journey of less than 30 secs before.
I used to fall asleep in the taxi on the way back from Manchester AP.
I always woke up after coming off the M62 due to the horrendous road surfaces/bumps and potholes approaching Leeds.
Here I just love the ability to move on roads.
They are so wide,with such small traffic volume, doing 50 seems a crawl- but I never/ never speed in urban areas. Out in the country I have been known to fly a little. but only a little, unintentionally.
Did I say I love the roads in NZ, as well as most everything else.
What I don't like is... Aw shucks it ain't worth mentioning!
XX
Yes the roads in town are incredibly wide..madly so. BUT our SH1??? For the most part is a rubbishy single lane affair one carriageway going eachway. No median strip. A lady I know of was killed mid Feb above Auckland. Other car left their lane and swerved into oncoming traffic. One dead 1 seriously injured.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Matt lived in Oz for 2 years and toured NZ for 2 months, which he much prefered. ive never been to either, but matt has always wanted to live there. our skills are in demand, the weather isnt too hot, the country isnt too vast, has amazing scenery and facilites for all our outdoor summer and winter hobbies, it doesnt have many poisonous critters, has lots of fab beaches and we love lamb
Old Mar 1st 2010, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MattandJax
Matt lived in Oz for 2 years and toured NZ for 2 months, which he much prefered. ive never been to either, but matt has always wanted to live there. our skills are in demand, the weather isnt too hot, the country isnt too vast, has amazing scenery and facilites for all our outdoor summer and winter hobbies, it doesnt have many poisonous critters, has lots of fab beaches and we love lamb
Don't think we have anything poisonous..just a wee spider called a white tail that does have a tiny bite...nought else. There is not ONE snake in the wild in NZ..just like Ireland.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Don't think we have anything poisonous..just a wee spider called a white tail that does have a tiny bite...nought else. There is not ONE snake in the wild in NZ..just like Ireland.
I was worried about Sharks in NZ waters.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:25 am
Just Joined

Garbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really nice

Lived in the UK for 23 years, long enough to buy a flat, travel all over the place, have a long relationship which still lasts with the husband and finally have 2 wonderful boys 5 and 11. Unfortunately me being the kiwi in the relationship, I was slowly becoming isolated even though I/we would come back and holiday here every 4 years. I have good friends and a doting grandma for the kids but it wasn't enough to keep me there. What I didn't realise was just how deep my roots had become entrenched there and on reflection I suppose I have spent half of my life there in the UK. My london hubby has no problem here except there is no real tennis court. But for me I have not adjusted very well but have come to terms with being here now. NZders are rather parochial and I find they don't have a sense of humour, god forbid if you should crack a joke in the supermarket. My advice for the lady in Wanganui who is not happy there is to try holidaying in one of the main cities like Auckland, Welly or Christchurch and seeing if that might be a possibility to move to somewhere there where there is more than 2 people. Other than that I have come to appreciate less cars, less crowds and a more relaxed pace of life.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
I was worried about Sharks in NZ waters.
Why? They are not noted for it.....attacks anyway..unless you mistakenly step on one.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 1:44 am
Just Joined

Garbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really niceGarbanza is just really nice

Ever thought of going on the net and looking at possibly where in NZ sharks hang out for a bite. I would be more cautious about the beaches that have rip currents. Apparently 130 people here a year die of being caught in a rip current. Food for thought!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattandJax
Get yourselves out here - love the Life style- live the experience and just enjoy all NZ has to offer- warts an' all!
J
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Get yourselves out here - love the Life style- live the experience and just enjoy all NZ has to offer- warts an' all!
J
we're trying we're trying!!! we're nearly ready to submit our ITA, just waiting on a few documents,
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light127luton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Garbanza
Lived in the UK for 23 years, long enough to buy a flat, travel all over the place, have a long relationship which still lasts with the husband and finally have 2 wonderful boys 5 and 11. Unfortunately me being the kiwi in the relationship, I was slowly becoming isolated even though I/we would come back and holiday here every 4 years. I have good friends and a doting grandma for the kids but it wasn't enough to keep me there. What I didn't realise was just how deep my roots had become entrenched there and on reflection I suppose I have spent half of my life there in the UK. My london hubby has no problem here except there is no real tennis court. But for me I have not adjusted very well but have come to terms with being here now. NZders are rather parochial and I find they don't have a sense of humour, god forbid if you should crack a joke in the supermarket. My advice for the lady in Wanganui who is not happy there is to try holidaying in one of the main cities like Auckland, Welly or Christchurch and seeing if that might be a possibility to move to somewhere there where there is more than 2 people. Other than that I have come to appreciate less cars, less crowds and a more relaxed pace of life.
god.... how interesting is ur perspective,,, We live in beds.. but work in herts.... so we are near? so it might be nice to pm?

Berni
xx
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Would love to Berni, problem is we now live in NZ, haven't had the time lately to edit the Berko bit and put Silverstream NZ which is where we reside now. Are you thinking of coming over here, if you do we can try and blog what it was like for us getting here and how we doing 2 years later..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.