Why NZ???

Old May 30th 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why NZ???

Probably been asked afore, but for the new BE members keen to come..and those already here who may not have had their say, why NZ?

What is it about this strange, far from perfect, isolated little group of islands that attracts you?? NZ is a very, very quirky place..one of the reasons I love the place!!!!!!

Why not Oz, loads of people end up there after finding NZ is not to their liking (I can fully understand why people do not like NZ and prefer Oz)??

After all there has been much comment of late about many of the negative (and very true might I add) aspects of living here. NZ like most things in life is loved by some and disliked by others.

We have thrived here. We are very content. NZ is everything we expected and much more. We live happily with all the negatives as fortunately few if any (apart from the awful driving) impact upon us as a family.

We came here to be better off in all aspects of our lives and to live somewhere low density population wise. To be somewhere that is off the beaten track and to be somewhere that is a bit different from mainstream 1st world living.

So what about you guys??
Old May 31st 2008, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why NZ?????????????????

Originally Posted by Genesis
Probably been asked afore, but for the new BE members keen to come..and those already here who may not have had their say, why NZ?

What is it about this strange, far from perfect, isolated little group of islands that attracts you?? NZ is a very, very quirky place..one of the reasons I love the place!!!!!!

Why not Oz, loads of people end up there after finding NZ is not to their liking (I can fully understand why people do not like NZ and prefer Oz)??

After all there has been much comment of late about many of the negative (and very true might I add) aspects of living here. NZ like most things in life is loved by some and disliked by others.

We have thrived here. We are very content. NZ is everything we expected and much more. We live happily with all the negatives as fortunately few if any (apart from the awful driving) impact upon us as a family.

We came here to be better off in all aspects of our lives and to live somewhere low density population wise. To be somewhere that is off the beaten track and to be somewhere that is a bit different from mainstream 1st world living.

So what about you guys??
Totally agree with all that you say.

We moved here witha very open mind. We did our homework and new about some of the chilly bin housing so we weren`t suprised. Reminds me of the first flat I bought in England which had no heating and single glazing and your bedside glass of water would freeze in the night. Of coarse it is alot milder at night where we are in NZ .
The main points that we like are:
The people are very friendly and there is still a faith in human nature and trust.
The roads are relatively quiet. If someone says its 2 hours to Taupo then even if you get stuck behind the odd logging truck, it`ll still be near to 2 hours.
The weather were we are is great, all year round. Lovely summers and mild winters.
My kids loooooooooooovvvee it here and they have never done so much sport.
The beach is 2 mins walk away.
Most sporting attractions are either cheap or free.
I as a person are more relaxed than I have ever beem which really windes my mrs up.
Theres more
Got to go
I`ll be back
Ash
Old May 31st 2008, 2:30 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

do anyone ever get the feeling that people move over here expecting it to be like the UK and then get annoyed when there isn't a Tescos??

For anyone who is thinking of moving over I will point this out.

It's not like the UK.

That is not a reason to move here if you don't like the UK either.

I liked living in the UK and I like living here. I don't think it's about the country though. It's about attitude, surroundings and the people you have around you.

No answer to the endless debate though, other than to say i'm a bit bored of it.
Anyway as usual i'm off to the pub to watch the Super 14 final, the sun is shining and i have a couple of dollars in my pocket, what more do you need.

(oh and will you lot stop throwing you toys out of the pram, your just making a mess and I've just vaccumed!)
Old May 31st 2008, 2:31 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that NZ is probably one of the more quirky (do I mean different/unique?) countries in the developed world. Theres lots to like, and for some theres lots to not like.

Most people who move here seem to like it enough to stay. The success rate (and I use that term with care) would seem to be on a par with many other destinations for Brits - witness the number who discover that life in Spain or Australia isn't all its cracked up to be.

I wonder if there is something in the British pysch that means when they migrate they tend to be looking for lots more sun, more laid back, 'easier' living all round. That can be a hard wishlist to satisfy. I also think that some people seem to confuse NZ with a cuter version of Australia, without the drought, bushfires, snakes and spiders.

None of my comments are meant for anybody in particular - I'm just musing, as the OP did, about what are the factors that pull people here, for better or worse. I also note there's a fine line between trying to warn people off when a country may not/probably will not/definitely will not suit them, and encouraging those who may/probably/will make a great new lives for themselves in that same country.
Old May 31st 2008, 3:43 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Why NZ?

right then...
This thread is called Why NZ?

What is it about this strange, far from perfect, isolated little group of islands that attracts you?

The OP has made the subject matter quite clear.

Keep it as on topic as possible for others to enjoy.
Old May 31st 2008, 8:38 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why NZ???

My reasons for going are very simple, I met someone from NZ and want to have a future with him.

I haven't moved over there yet but we put off any long term plans until I'd visited the place. I know that doesn't give you a real impression of what it would be like to live there for a significant period of time and having to deal with day to day living and "real" life. I had no preconceptions about NZ [and hadn't discovered this site at the time!] and thoroughly loved being there.

Dustybin got it right when he said it isn't the UK! I am not going over expecting life to be the same, I will have to learn to adapt to the culture and not vice versa. I have made the choice to go and if it doesn't work out then I do not envisage that I will look back with any bitterness. I think it depends on your general outlook on life, I tend to veer towards the optimistic in most situations. I would regret it intensely if I did not go and if things don't work out as planned and I decide it's not for me then my feelings are that I've taken that risk and unfortunately it wasn't for me. In reality I can't wait to get over there and start my new life in NZ [oh and with Mr Sue as well!]

Genesis, tried to send you karma but the computer says no! Maybe see you in Palmy!

Sue
Old May 31st 2008, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

nic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to allnic.gem.soph is a name known to all
Post Re: Why NZ?????????????????

Of coarse it is alot milder at night where we are in NZ . The weather were we are is great, all year round. Lovely summers and mild winters.
I as a person are more relaxed than I have ever beem which really windes my mrs up.
Theres more
Got to go
I`ll be back
Ash[/QUOTE]

Hi Ash, are you back.....? where are you living?

nicola
Old May 31st 2008, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue R
My reasons for going are very simple, I met someone from NZ and want to have a future with him.

I haven't moved over there yet but we put off any long term plans until I'd visited the place. I know that doesn't give you a real impression of what it would be like to live there for a significant period of time and having to deal with day to day living and "real" life. I had no preconceptions about NZ [and hadn't discovered this site at the time!] and thoroughly loved being there.

Dustybin got it right when he said it isn't the UK! I am not going over expecting life to be the same, I will have to learn to adapt to the culture and not vice versa. I have made the choice to go and if it doesn't work out then I do not envisage that I will look back with any bitterness. I think it depends on your general outlook on life, I tend to veer towards the optimistic in most situations. I would regret it intensely if I did not go and if things don't work out as planned and I decide it's not for me then my feelings are that I've taken that risk and unfortunately it wasn't for me. In reality I can't wait to get over there and start my new life in NZ [oh and with Mr Sue as well!]

Genesis, tried to send you karma but the computer says no! Maybe see you in Palmy!

Sue
Thank you!!!!! Dustybin is so right about not being like the UK..its like another dimension!! I came over here with a bit of the attitude that its a little like the UK 50 years back..its true in the sense that NZ is quite 'backwards' in some ways..but I love that aspect.

NZ has been utterly wonderous for us after 3 years and it just gets better and better as we find our feet more so. I would not give up the awesome life I have here and return to the UK. But NZ is not for everyone, many hate the backwards feel, the housing stock, the isolation, lack of culture etc, etc.

We have had to work very hard to get things right..but what a rewarding experience!! Whilst NZ is full of problems its got much going for it that other countries cannot offer.....low density of population for one thing..out of the main centres.

NZ is our nirvana!!!!!
Old May 31st 2008, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nic.gem.soph
Of coarse it is alot milder at night where we are in NZ . The weather were we are is great, all year round. Lovely summers and mild winters.
Theres more
Got to go
I`ll be back
Ash

Hi Ash, are you back.....? where are you living?

nicola[/QUOTE]

Hi Nicola,

Yep I`m back. Had a football match and then a 40th party which was great as it was full of kiwi`s and pomms from North, South, East and West. I must admit that when I first arrived I would shy away when I heard the English accent but I have learnt that we`re all in it together and sometimes its good to meet people from all walks of life in England and that taken the same massive step that you have.
Sorry Nicola, off the question there. We are is sunny Papamoa, Tauranga, Bay of Plenty. There are quite a few posters on here from here. I think you`ll find that most if not all will give you a positive feed back.

No pressure on kids to "whats in" clothes etc
No pressure on adults to provide the above
No pressure on adults to dress smart to any occasion
The people working in the shops tell you where you buy their product cheaper
No one seems to be in a rush or up tight
The weather

Ash
Old May 31st 2008, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
NZ is our nirvana!!!!!
I can totally relate to your feelings, Genesis.

However.

In Some way I don't understand you the fact that - being so enthusiastic toward the 'new' country (that you didnt' come from originally)

However.

everybody's different you see.

despite having lived in NZ (maybe?) triple times longer than you here, but I've never liked/loved NZ that much as you do.

every morning I get up - it's kind of automatic question to myself.... " Why on earth am I here? or what's the right decision for me? or ... yeah. I wanna go back to uk but problem with this (particular) job, or what if I go back to the uk when I am retired (65?) what happen then? etc. It's playing in my head every minutes.

things I really like about NZ is

a) No crowds - last night I've been to NW for groceries, still I am very happy about no many people around and no long Que and lots of space every where and people are so kind& friendly. It doesn't make me irritable.

b) Fresh Air

c) I feel safe to walk at night by myself in town.

*things I really miss about the UK is

not Tesco, or fancy shopping or historical buildings

I do miss beautiful countryside parks in Britain!

gotta have cr*p morning coffee

have a nice day Genesis I am glad you are happy anyway.

Last edited by crap coffee; Jun 1st 2008 at 12:12 am.
Old Jun 1st 2008, 1:28 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

I was originally attracted to NZ by the beauty and diversity of the landscape. Living somewhere that I find beautiful is very important to my overall happiness. Probably more important to me than it is to most people. I've heard lots of people say things to the effect of "scenery won't pay the bills" etc. I wouldn't want it to - that's what a job is for!
Old Jun 1st 2008, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

every morning I get up - it's kind of automatic question to myself.... " Why on earth am I here? or what's the right decision for me? or ... yeah.

Hi CC..hey I totally agree with you!! If I was your age and had spent as long as you have in NZ I would be climbing the walls....there's so much more out there aye???? I am in the autumn of my life and it suits me and my family.

I have no doubts my kids will swan off to europe..having had a great child hood in NZ they will be seeking something NZ will never offer.

IE europe, the US etc etc. Thank you for your kind words.

Could you rephrase the question you had about what you don't understand about me so I can respond please?

Have a great day!!