Reload this Page >

Pakuranga and Howick

Pakuranga and Howick

Old May 27th 2008, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

fired50 will become famous soon enoughfired50 will become famous soon enough
Default Pakuranga and Howick

Hi

Can anybody give me a no nonsense appraisal of Pakaranga and Howick?

Can one commute between the two on public transport?

Can a family rent a 2 bedroom (nice) place in Howick for 300-350 a week?

If I was to take a job in Pakuranga, what areas within a 30 minute commute could be considered desirable/affordable for a hard working teacher and his part time teacher wife?

Thanks in advance.

F50
Old May 28th 2008, 4:38 am
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice
Default Re: Pakuranga and Howick

I cant really comment re Pakuranga as I only use Lloyd Elsmore for football and baseball and occasionally take my son to school on Pakuranga Highway which gets really busy in rush hour.We seem to have quite a regular bus service in the area run by Howick and Eastern Buses.
Howick itself has its own high street and small beach there are quite a few areas around that you can look at Mellons Bay Cockle Bay Bucklands Beach Halfmoon Bay then coming down to Botany Downs and Dannemora which is the new build of houses with shopping centre cinema ice rink and bowling alley.Also look at Farm Cove and Sunnyhills as are close to Pakuranga.
At the moment we are in Dannemora with my children attending Point View Primary which has been a good school for my children there are about 800 children but is still friendly and has good parent support having a new large play area and now sorting out the large field so they can use it all year round.We dont have a swimming pool but they do go in certain years and year 6 do the waterwise program sailing and kayaking which not many schools do now.
All the schools here are zoned so if coming mid term you will have to be in the zone for your chosen school.
There is a high population of asian ie chinese and korean and the temple is situated at Flatbush.
Flatbush is the new town being built which will house 40,000 and the plot sizes there are down to 400m and also quite a few flats are being built.
There are a few people on this site around so hopefully they can give you an insight to.

Karen
Old May 30th 2008, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Hi F50
Firstly I'm going to be really nosey - you got a job at Pakuranga College? I ask because its not really in Pakuranga. Its closer to Farm Cove, Half Moon Bay and Highland Park. Pakuranga Road does get pretty busy in rush hour. Any of the areas mentioned by Karen are within easy reach of the college.
Public transport - dont have much first hand knowledge of it. http://www2.maxx.co.nz/assets/timeta...V4.0%20web.pdf. Scroll down to the map, it will show you most of the local bus routes. Trademe will give you some idea of the houses for rent in the above mentioned areas. Also this one http://www.realestate.co.nz/rental/all/manukau-city. TBH my advice would be not to commit to anything long term until you have had a chance to explore the area and get your bearings. Good luck, let me know if I can be of any more assistance

Last edited by CCGM.IN.NZ; May 30th 2008 at 11:00 am.
Old May 31st 2008, 7:23 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

hi I'm going to plug this book again..its called "WHERE TO LIVE IN AUCKLAND"by BARBICAN PUBLISHINGS..
well worth a read when trying to find an area to settle..
tells you all about areas,who lives there(socio economic group),best schools in the area, average house prices(rent and buying)loads of good info...

we read this and decided on the Eastern Suburbs,we are in Cockle Bay,and we like it...But all round this area(which is minutes from Pakuranga)is really nice, Howick, Mellons Bay,Bucklands Beach,Eastern Beach..But look into the schooling zones as this is very important when deciding your area..good luck with your search..Jacky
Old May 31st 2008, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg
hi I'm going to plug this book again..its called "WHERE TO LIVE IN AUCKLAND"by BARBICAN PUBLISHINGS..
well worth a read when trying to find an area to settle..

Looked for this book on Amazon and the price starts at £72 up to £99 !!!!!! Nearly passed out!
Better be a really good book......
Old May 31st 2008, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Looked for this book on Amazon and the price starts at £72 up to £99 !!!!!! Nearly passed out!
we google WHERE TO LIVE IN AUCKLAND BOOK and actualy bought the book from NZ while still in UK. and had it posted to us..NZ price was $39.95,so worked out cheaper that way..try E Bay might get it cheaper there..hope this helps..Jacky
Old May 31st 2008, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Sear...earch&x=25&y=8
Old Jun 1st 2008, 4:47 am
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

If you go onto www.barfoots.co.nz and look at houses in the area you want you can get a brief bit from the book.