Why NZ?

Old Jun 7th 2007, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why NZ?

Originally Posted by Magnum
Interesting thread. We are currently looking at the pros and cons of NZ and Oz. We were looking at the NZ Immigration website last night and read this (quoted from here - http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/settlementpack/):-

Hardly positive, or is that really what life is like in NZ

I would say it's abit outdated.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:42 am
Fight for the republic.

Cava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura aboutCava Fizz has a spectacular aura about

very honest that thing isn't it Boopy I admire that.
Old Jun 7th 2007, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Magnum
Interesting thread. We are currently looking at the pros and cons of NZ and Oz. We were looking at the NZ Immigration website last night and read this (quoted from here - http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migrant/settlementpack/):-

Hardly positive, or is that really what life is like in NZ

Bloody bang on!!!!! Been here 25 months and I think they have been very honest in the above link. But all the reasons quoted on the above link ARE the reasons (most of them) why we love it here.

It is soooooooooooooooooooo very different here from life in mainstream 'rest of the world'.......maybe with the exception of Auckland..but even Auckland albeit cosmopolitan, etc, etc..is still very isolated, as is NZ. While the isolation can be tricky.....it is also very nice to be away from the rest of the world and all its woes. We are at war with no body, we don't piss anyone off except all those we beat at various sports!!!!

If you can get to grips with stuff here NZ will serve you well. It is not for everyone and it is not perfect by any means. NZ has a plethora of problems, as I always say though of all the problems in NZ rarely if ever do any of them come to my doorstep. Whereas in my previous choice of home I had daily problems on my doorstep. NZ is most definitely a different bucket and different shit!!!!!! But hey I wanted a BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG change and I got one....fortunately for the better!!

I think it is fair to say that life is made of many compromises, I miss much about the UK..but life here for me in NZ is about as perfect as I ever imagined it would be..and I don't even live by the sea. I will very unlikely ever return willingly to the UK..unless 60 million people leave there first...then I might return!!!!!! NZ has just ENDLESS SPACE. Something you can rarely if ever buy. especially on a nurses wage!!!!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute

Genisis,
I cant send you a presonal e-mail until i've posted 3 threads so i will do it through here.
I am new to the site and noticed that you mentioned being an ex copper. I am due to retire from Merseyside in June 6 next year(yahoo) and looking at moving to NZ.
Any pointers would be much appreciated. Did you retire out there or transfer?
Regards
Mal
Old Jun 11th 2007, 5:57 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Genesis
We are the minority, ever looked at the viewing figs NZ v OZ? Right now we are 35...they are 215 or thereabouts.

I find it amazing (I know some think its obvious, crap wages, poor housing, damp, cold etc etc!!) that NZ is so less enticing than Oz.

We went for NZ as I can't stand silly heat, I think a trip to Wellington is big bananas (2hrs) and Oz is so mind blowingly huge it would seriously phase me. I went there 15years ago for a drive about on the East coast..loved it, but its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hot for me. Kate has an aversion to nasty creepy crawlies AND SNAKES!!!! I am scared shitless of sharks, pathetic or otherwise..don't think I could get in the salty stuff these days.

We are very happy with NZ and believe we made the right choice. I know some jump ship and go west to OZ.

So why did you go for little old NZ then and not Oz???????
Mr NZBee is a Kiwi, and is allergic to Aussies. Therefore I have to move to NZ!
Old Jun 11th 2007, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Happy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to allHappy Wanderer is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Genesis
We are the minority, ever looked at the viewing figs NZ v OZ? Right now we are 35...they are 215 or thereabouts.

I find it amazing (I know some think its obvious, crap wages, poor housing, damp, cold etc etc!!) that NZ is so less enticing than Oz.

We went for NZ as I can't stand silly heat, I think a trip to Wellington is big bananas (2hrs) and Oz is so mind blowingly huge it would seriously phase me. I went there 15years ago for a drive about on the East coast..loved it, but its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hot for me. Kate has an aversion to nasty creepy crawlies AND SNAKES!!!! I am scared shitless of sharks, pathetic or otherwise..don't think I could get in the salty stuff these days.

We are very happy with NZ and believe we made the right choice. I know some jump ship and go west to OZ.

So why did you go for little old NZ then and not Oz???????
We chose NZ over OZ because of the crawlies and the heat initially. Then the more we looked into it, the more we liked it. We liked the open space, lack of pollution and the general feel of the place.

I don't want to play down the nasty thing though, since we've had experience of living with it out here.

We're in a hot place at the moment, and walking from the house to the car you burn and end up soaking with sweat - very attractive Even at 8.00am it's too hot to go out for a walk. We were so looking forward to coming here but the heat is so oppressive, we've ended up being prisoners to air con. Though we do go for it, and explore when we can, it has to be done in short bursts.

Also, we get the house sprayed weekly for various bits and pieces, but it doesn't stop them all from getting in.

We had a 6 inch black scorpion in the bath room last week which tried to attack my husband when he tried to catch it. In the last 10 months we've had a collection of big scary spiders, at least one a month- including a tarantula above our head board. We've also had poisionous 12 inch centipedes with 3 stings on their tail and also pretty aggressive. (3 of those) and cockroaches big enough to saddle and ride!! (only 2 of those)

Because these things tend to come out at night, it's a constant worry having children getting up to go to the loo. Or even the things going into their bedrooms - my husband is far more rational and I bite my tongue in front of the boys (I don't want them as jumpy as me) but I can't relax here at all. I won't go into a room until the light is fully on and I can see that the floor space is clear. I almost had a heart attack at the dressing gown belt which had fallen on one of the floors, got up for drink of water and thought I was a gonna.

Everyone said we'd be fine once the chit chat/geckos came in since they eat the spiders, we've found two chit chats half eaten in the bath!!

Out side, our neighbors have had snakes (including cobras) and there have been 2 salt water croc. sightings in the last couple of months. Bl**dy Hell!! There was a strange confidence that came with thinking I could Dyson the enemy - now even that small piece of mind has gone.

1. It all adds up to being afraid to go to bed without checking beneath it.
2. Having to drill the boys to wear flip flops if they get up in the night.
3. Having to sleep with the hall light on so you can see the black outline on the floor tiles, implemented after the dressing gown belt incident.
4. Them not being able to play outside unless supervised, then only on the trampoline - so long as they wear flip flops to cross the grass.
5. Wearing factor 50 all the time, so nice greasy skin and open pores.
6. No ball games of any description, since the ball will always land in bushes or long grass.
7. Having to 'bang' shoes before putting them on.
8. Not being able to leave car windows open on the drive.
9. Not being able to have house windows open at all.

Don't even get me started on the ocean :curse:

When we were in NZ, Number 1 son and I went horse riding. It was lovely going into the bush and riding under low branches without worrying about spiders and snakes. We're only sticking it out here, so we can save to come to NZ

We've always known we didn't want the UK, but these are our reasons for NZ not OZ.

Last edited by Happy Wanderer; Jun 11th 2007 at 7:04 pm. Reason: It's late and I'm a biff
Old Jun 11th 2007, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Happy Wanderer
We chose NZ over OZ because of the crawlies and the heat initially. Then the more we looked into it, the more we liked it. We liked the open space, lack of pollution and the general feel of the place.

I don't want to play down the nasty thing though, since we've had experience of living with it out here.

We're in a hot place at the moment, and walking from the house to the car you burn and end up soaking with sweat - very attractive Even at 8.00am it's too hot to go out for a walk. We were so looking forward to coming here but the heat is so oppressive, we've ended up being prisoners to air con. Though we do go for it, and explore when we can, it has to be done in short bursts.

Also, we get the house sprayed weekly for various bits and pieces, but it doesn't stop them all from getting in.

We had a 6 inch black scorpion in the bath room last week which tried to attack my husband when he tried to catch it. In the last 10 months we've had a collection of big scary spiders, at least one a month- including a tarantula above our head board. We've also had poisionous 12 inch centipedes with 3 stings on their tail and also pretty aggressive. (3 of those) and cockroaches big enough to saddle and ride!! (only 2 of those)

Because these things tend to come out at night, it's a constant worry having children getting up to go to the loo. Or even the things going into their bedrooms - my husband is far more rational and I bite my tongue in front of the boys (I don't want them as jumpy as me) but I can't relax here at all. I won't go into a room until the light is fully on and I can see that the floor space is clear. I almost had a heart attack at the dressing gown belt which had fallen on one of the floors, got up for drink of water and thought I was a gonna.

Everyone said we'd be fine once the chit chat/geckos came in since they eat the spiders, we've found two chit chats half eaten in the bath!!

Out side, our neighbors have had snakes (including cobras) and there have been 2 salt water croc. sightings in the last couple of months. Bl**dy Hell!! There was a strange confidence that came with thinking I could Dyson the enemy - now even that small piece of mind has gone.

1. It all adds up to being afraid to go to bed without checking beneath it.
2. Having to drill the boys to wear flip flops if they get up in the night.
3. Having to sleep with the hall light on so you can see the black outline on the floor tiles, implemented after the dressing gown belt incident.
4. Them not being able to play outside unless supervised, then only on the trampoline - so long as they wear flip flops to cross the grass.
5. Wearing factor 50 all the time, so nice greasy skin and open pores.
6. No ball games of any description, since the ball will always land in bushes or long grass.
7. Having to 'bang' shoes before putting them on.
8. Not being able to leave car windows open on the drive.
9. Not being able to have house windows open at all.

Don't even get me started on the ocean :curse:

When we were in NZ, Number 1 son and I went horse riding. It was lovely going into the bush and riding under low branches without worrying about spiders and snakes. We're only sticking it out here, so we can save to come to NZ

We've always known we didn't want the UK, but these are our reasons for NZ not OZ.
Ooooh! That sounds scary. I lived in Sydney for 5 months, and didn't like all the cockroaches on the streets. And I visited Alice Springs and saw the hugest roach ever in the world, and OMG!!!!! IT FLEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was worse than any horror film I have ever seen! Not been to NZ yet, but my brother lived there for 11 years on both islands, and said there was no better place to bring up a family than NZ and that he found the people are really friendly. It sounds like it has everything we are looking for.

Lou
Old Jun 12th 2007, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pumpkinlou
Ooooh! That sounds scary. I lived in Sydney for 5 months, and didn't like all the cockroaches on the streets. And I visited Alice Springs and saw the hugest roach ever in the world, and OMG!!!!! IT FLEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was worse than any horror film I have ever seen! Not been to NZ yet, but my brother lived there for 11 years on both islands, and said there was no better place to bring up a family than NZ and that he found the people are really friendly. It sounds like it has everything we are looking for.

Lou
And best of all NZ has Frenchy in the South eh!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 19th 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

pumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud ofpumpkinlou has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Frenchy
And best of all NZ has Frenchy in the South eh!!!!!!!!
How could I have forgotten to mention that!!! Of course, the main reason for wanting to go, is my best buddy Frenchy upped and left me in this godforsakenhole on the 1st of Jan. A cup of Yorkshire tea with your best friend overlooking a lovely Marlborough Winery-what other reason do you need to up sticks and move to the other side of the world??)

Lou
xx
Old Jun 19th 2007, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=pumpkinlou;4901631but my brother lived there for 11 years on both islands, and said that he found the people are really friendly. [/QUOTE]
He's a liar
Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:25 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by mazi
He's a liar

Perhaps many Kiwis are just socially awkward? I can relate to that.

Old Jun 20th 2007, 12:26 am
Forum Regular

dicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nicedicknlyn is just really nice

We didn't even consider Oz, but Lyn's keen to get our NZ Citizenship, one reason being so that Oz is an option in the future. After reading these posts, I don't think we'll be bothering somehow. Me? A wuss? Never!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:03 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by happynz

Perhaps many Kiwis are just socially awkward? I can relate to that.

Do you know, I think you're right. I don't think they intend to come across as unfriendly (clearly there are exceptions - and I mean both ways - some do intend to be unfriendly and some are not at all unfriendly) - but social ineptitude is a bit of a problem. I'm sure it's got something to do with all the sport they're forced to play at school - I think it makes them both over-competitive and over-proud (boastful) in turns.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

For me, I could go on and say it would be better for me to emigrate to oz, they pay nurses better and the larger population ensures more choice of hospitals. The bigger land mass so i have more choice where to live. Larger amount of communities to join. But my big sister has made it clear I must move closer to her!! That why it has to be NZ!! I'm 32yrs old and she still calls the shots!!1
Old Jun 20th 2007, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

bro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud ofbro69 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by mazi
Do you know, I think you're right. I don't think they intend to come across as unfriendly (clearly there are exceptions - and I mean both ways - some do intend to be unfriendly and some are not at all unfriendly) - but social ineptitude is a bit of a problem. I'm sure it's got something to do with all the sport they're forced to play at school - I think it makes them both over-competitive and over-proud (boastful) in turns.
I find no matter where you go you will always find people who are unfriendly, in England we would often see fights after a night out and by often I mean nearly every night, not friendly behaviour.

I find Kiwi's to be very friendly indeed especially those from an Island or Maori community. I think sometime they can have a bit of a barrier but because they are so independant it is hard for some people but once you get to know people. I have met kiwi's who would give you the shirt off their back after barely knowing you.

Don't beleive stereo types they are usually wrong. I never found this more true than in South Africa I found everyone to be very friendly people of every race and from every background, this is certainly not what I was expecting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.