Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Gun4Hire has a spectacular aura aboutGun4Hire has a spectacular aura aboutGun4Hire has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Originally Posted by Auskiwi
Look, as an Aussie married to a Kiwi, I can understand Australia is a goddamn awful place..that's why there are so many Kiwi's here, cos it's terrible..
As an Aussie married to a Kiwi, what do you have do with a British Expats forum?

It depends on your situation on which country is best, obviously Britain is the best in every regard other than the economy at present, but after that it depends on your situation. The fact that half a million kiwis are in Australia is neither here nor there, the vast majority are nothing special and have nowhere else to go - so they go to the bigger place and fair enough too. Yes Australia s attracting the finest people: Muslims, Pakistanis, Sudanese, Lebanese and Somalis. That is the reason that my Australian born wife does not want to return.

However I would always say to the average person choose Australia because that will usually be the best choice - no question.

Check out the number of Brits who return home to the UK after two years in either NZ or Australia, there is a big difference. But trust me the other imports to Australia aren't going anywhere.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

Auskiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gun4Hire
As an Aussie married to a Kiwi, what do you have do with a British Expats forum?

It depends on your situation on which country is best, obviously Britain is the best in every regard other than the economy at present, but after that it depends on your situation. The fact that half a million kiwis are in Australia is neither here nor there, the vast majority are nothing special and have nowhere else to go - so they go to the bigger place and fair enough too. Yes Australia s attracting the finest people: Muslims, Pakistanis, Sudanese, Lebanese and Somalis. That is the reason that my Australian born wife does not want to return.

However I would always say to the average person choose Australia because that will usually be the best choice - no question.

Check out the number of Brits who return home to the UK after two years in either NZ or Australia, there is a big difference. But trust me the other imports to Australia aren't going anywhere.
I had originally joined this forum to talk to other returning expats that had moved away from New Zealand and are either returning or have returned..I had been referred by someone else..obviously a huge mistake..as I am not returning anymore, his company won't set up business in Christchurch now because of the economy and the earthquake.

I love multiculturalism, so I am not going to answer the second line.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 12:49 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

...obviously Britain is the best in every regard other than the economy at present...
biggest laugh i´ve had in ages
Old Sep 15th 2010, 12:57 am
Just Joined

Gun4Hire has a spectacular aura aboutGun4Hire has a spectacular aura aboutGun4Hire has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by simonsi
biggest laugh i´ve had in ages
Just a little wind up to get the Aussies out of the woodwork!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 1:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Auskiwi
I had originally joined this forum to talk to other returning expats that had moved away from New Zealand and are either returning or have returned..I had been referred by someone else..obviously a huge mistake..as I am not returning anymore, his company won't set up business in Christchurch now because of the economy and the earthquake.

I love multiculturalism, so I am not going to answer the second line.
I'm sure that you love multiculturalism.

I would definitely not bother opening my koala bear shop in Christchurch right now either, I hear that there are too many shoplifters coming over from Australia looking for a five finger discount!

I still don't get the economy argument, my point is it's not universally relevant. Britain's economy has hit the skids but people haven't stopped making a killing in the City of London and it was a banking crisis that started it all! The same goes for many parts of the world - that is my point.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:14 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with GUn4Hire. Australia's strength comes from it's resources. But the thing that no one over there seems to be thinking about yet is what happens when those resources run out? You can only dig shit out of the ground for so long.

And non-British Expats ARE welcome on this forum.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 2:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I agree with GUn4Hire. Australia's strength comes from it's resources. But the thing that no one over there seems to be thinking about yet is what happens when those resources run out? You can only dig shit out of the ground for so long.

You're just saying that because you're a Kiwi Lass! I'm kidding, you are quite right.

To be fair I think that there's quite a bit to dig out, she's a big country!
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:09 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kiwilass

The resources will take hundreds of years before they even start to run out will will all be dead by then.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:14 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

So what your saying if your a racist NZ is better becasue theres less muslims there, OZ takes a handful of sudanese and somali refugees they are hardly taking over the country. Australia is a successful multicultural country which is one of the things that make it a wealthier and more interesting place to live then NZ>

Last edited by mohogony; Sep 15th 2010 at 3:16 am.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:24 am
Banned

Australia makes and exports nothing but minerals which, happily are worth a lot right now. It is a great country for working people who get paid very well indeed. But for high end professionals the pay is absolutely crap and the tax is sky high. NZ not only exports lamb and dairy products but it also manufactures a fair bit for a small country and creates a lot of high end software.
Australia has been trying to recruit immigrants for ages now, has masses of Muslims, Sudanese, Somalis a huge number from the North of England.
WRONG WRONG WRONG
AUstralia does not export nothing but minerals, one of the largest exports OZ has is education which makes billions as well as agricultre and tourism. Its not just NZ that exports LAmb and dairy products OZ exports these also, OZ has a very large wheat and beef export industry. OZ also exports manufactured goods. Australia has the best performing and the fastest growing economy in the western world NZ's probably somehwere back there with Albania or Bulgaria
OZ does not recruit masses of muslims, somalis and sudnaese, most of them come to OZ as refuguess and family reunion and in small numbers compared to other nationalities.

Last edited by mohogony; Sep 15th 2010 at 3:28 am.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 3:55 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mohogony
WRONG WRONG WRONG
AUstralia does not export nothing but minerals, one of the largest exports OZ has is education which makes billions as well as agricultre and tourism. Its not just NZ that exports LAmb and dairy products OZ exports these also, OZ has a very large wheat and beef export industry. OZ also exports manufactured goods. Australia has the best performing and the fastest growing economy in the western world NZ's probably somehwere back there with Albania or Bulgaria
OZ does not recruit masses of muslims, somalis and sudnaese, most of them come to OZ as refuguess and family reunion and in small numbers compared to other nationalities.
Educating who exactly? Where is your Oxford, Cambridge or Kings College for example?

What are these famed manufactured goods we keep hearing about?

All I said was that it was a resource boom that was making the Australian economy grow so much, nothing much else. And a resource boom doesn't necessarily make YOU richer.

In any case that wasn't the overall point, the point is that a higher GDP per capita does not indicate how much a particular individual would earn. Again Australia has a higher GDP per capita than Britain or NZ - BUT that is only an average, a city professional in London will make a lot more money than they would in banking in Sydney. In Australia the minimum wage is very high and the wealth is shared around, that's great if you are unskilled, not so good if you earn a lot but have to pay 42% tax.

None of this is a criticism simply an indication that you must check whether you would actually better off in one country or another. Couldn't less where I worked personally UK, US, Australia, NZ, Switzerland or Singapore the point is the best paying place depends on the individual circumstances - the wider economy is generally irrelevant.

Last edited by Gun4Hire; Sep 15th 2010 at 4:10 am.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on what you do. Australia is quite a few places higher in the GDP per capita for the UK, but I made 3 or 4 times as much money in the UK than you'd make in Australia for the same job. NZ of course is ranked even lower again, but again even today I'd personally get twice as much money in NZ as I'd get in Australia ($45-$70AUD p.h. v $95$140NZD p.h.).

Australia makes and exports nothing but minerals which, happily are worth a lot right now. It is a great country for working people who get paid very well indeed. But for high end professionals the pay is absolutely crap and the tax is sky high. NZ not only exports lamb and dairy products but it also manufactures a fair bit for a small country and creates a lot of high end software. Australia cannot even make aluminium from it's own bauxite they have to get NZ to do that and then of course manufacture windows to send to Europe.

In Australia they have two people per checkout - that's one of the reasons you pay so much for groceries, it is also one of the reasons why unemployment is low - lots of thick people doing pointless jobs. For similar reasons, the average Australian is a bartender in London when they come over but the average Kiwi is a tax lawyer or banker.

It's like saying that America is the best country to work in because it is really huge and extremely successful - it doesn't necessarily correspond to good money in your own personal circumstances.

Australia has been trying to recruit immigrants for ages now, has masses of Muslims, Sudanese, Somalis a huge number from the North of England.

I am not advocating one place over another per se, but you must work out what s best for you in your circumstances. The best money to be made in Australia is made in construction, building and trades - especially if you can get away without paying tax which, is easy in Australia, not so easy for the middle class who get screwed.

Final thing, cars in a Australia are even older and crappier than in NZ, they put huge import duty on decent German cars so people are forced to drive cheap Fords or Holdens (Vauxhall), which is fine if you don't like having choice. I was considering exporting my car from the UK to Australia - the shipping was fair but the taxes were eye watering. They like to kid themselves in Australia that actually have a car industry but given they are just making American cars, that's bollocks.
Wow. Combining that number of inaccuracies in one post is impressive.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:11 am
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Have you checked out the NZ v Aust. thread on the Australia section? Worth reading.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 4:49 am
Banned

Educating who exactly? Where is your Oxford, Cambridge or Kings College for example?

What are these famed manufactured goods we keep hearing about?

All I said was that it was a resource boom that was making the Australian economy grow so much, nothing much else. And a resource boom doesn't necessarily make YOU richer.

In any case that wasn't the overall point, the point is that a higher GDP per capita does not indicate how much a particular individual would earn. Again Australia has a higher GDP per capita than Britain or NZ - BUT that is only an average, a city professional in London will make a lot more money than they would in banking in Sydney. In Australia the minimum wage is very high and the wealth is shared around, that's great if you are unskilled, not so good if you earn a lot but have to pay 42% tax.

None of this is a criticism simply an indication that you must check whether you would actually better off in one country or another. Couldn't less where I worked personally UK, US, Australia, NZ, Switzerland or Singapore the point is the best paying place depends on the individual circumstances - the wider economy is generally irrelevant.
HERE we are manufacturing 32.5% of OZ exports, serivces which include education 21.3% mining only makes up 37.6% obviously not all of OZ exports are mining.
OZ has the best economy in the western world and the only western country to advoid the world financiall meltdown, look at all the banks in the USA and UK that collapsed not a single OZ bank collapsed they are all strong and rolling in cash, l understand why countries like NZ are jealous of OZ, l guess that explains why massive numbers of NZ enders immigrate to OZ and very few aussies move to NZ

http://www.innovation.gov.au/Section/AboutDIISR/FactSheets/Pages/Australia'sExportsFactSheet.aspx

Last edited by mohogony; Sep 15th 2010 at 4:52 am.
Old Sep 15th 2010, 5:48 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry. Got to disagree.
Most, (and I know, not all,) kiwis in Oz are young, most single, and just there for the quick buck.
Relatively little will be returned to the Aussie economy as it'll be coming back here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.