Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Old Sep 9th 2010, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Bryars2011 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

Just a question to everyone on the forum.....why did you choose to move to Nz rather than Oz??
Old Sep 9th 2010, 4:44 pm
Just Joined

topswr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why move to NZ instead of Oz??

For me, it's more peaceful and safer
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:39 pm
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

No snakes, spiders, crocs, scorpions

I'm not ruling it out in future, but for now NZ
Old Sep 9th 2010, 6:32 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp
No snakes, spiders, crocs, scorpions

I'm not ruling it out in future, but for now NZ
Ditto....plus the weather in Oz would be just too hot for a physical job!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

For family and the snakes and spider things and the heat too but also now OZ is looking pretty good from Chch!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of lightJo-Chris is a glorious beacon of light

Preferred NZ!!! We didnt even consider Oz.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 7:30 pm
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really see why it has to be Oz or NZ. They're completely different countries.

We never considered NZ when we decided to emigrate.

I had considered Oz about 10 years ago when it was still a pipe dream, but never once we'd seriously considered emigrating.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 8:32 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

No Australians ...

Oh, someone had to say it.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I dont get the no snakes, spider thing.
The way people go on about it you would think they are falling out
of every cupboard and living in every garden and its just not like that.
Its not more an issue than having the white tail here in NZ.
People just blow it up out all proportion, its ridiculous.

Oz is hotter, has water shortages that you learn to cope with, has more
going on in the cities, is more cultured and theres more of it to see.

Nz is cooloer but still nice from late spring tight through to early autumn,
is much quieter, most places you go look the same, the roads are bad
and it sits slap bang on a major earthquake fault line.

For me the best way to describe oz/nz is its like the difference between living
in the city or living in a smaller town.

I like oz but was to old when moving, i will move over there at some
point in the future.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

also you earn more and most things cost a lot less than here.
housing is generally much better and there are more jobs around.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

forshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to allforshy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
No Australians ...

very funny! made me laugh!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

i'm in my early 20's now, so i intend to spend a few years in NZ.
Maybe in a few years time and a few holidays to Aus i'll hop over
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colandros
also you earn more and most things cost a lot less than here.
housing is generally much better and there are more jobs around.
I am not saying the above is untrue as I have heard it said a lot, but in what I am looking for I am struggling to get the same money as NZ, and there are a lot of things that are more expensive, beer for starters!!

What there is without doubt is more choice, but then if you can't see something you don't want it. I believe power costs etc especially in summer in Oz are something to behold.
Old Sep 9th 2010, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
No Australians ...

Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bryars2011
Just a question to everyone on the forum.....why did you choose to move to Nz rather than Oz??
Been in NZ 5 years and we have been relatively content here. However I have done a road trip in Oz back in 1990 before I discovered Nz. I thought and still think that Oz is a way better place to live than NZ. For many a reason. However I cannot do big heat and hate stupidly huge countries, whilst Kate has a huge aversion to Oz's wildlife. So overall NZ is better for us but I know Oz is a better place as a country generally. I adored Oz it is such an exciting vibrant place. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cooler than NZ which is really a bit of a dullard in many ways in comparison to Oz. I could live in Tazzy and who knows may do one day. The other issue for me is that my psyche is way better suited to the kiwi one. I am not sure I would get on as well with Oz bods as I do kiwis. I always had an issue whilst there with their mentality. The kiwi one can be maddening too (as indeed can the brit one) but it suits me better. Oz is probably also a bit too progressive for me. I am stuck in another aged eon thus NZ is a good place to be. It is simple and backward. Like me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.