Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why all the negativity?

Why all the negativity?

Old May 27th 2018, 5:06 am
Just Joined

KiwiDean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Why all the negativity?

Thank you Carcajou for your reply. Firstly I would like to apologise to Bev for the quote I used. I completely agree with your post, that prospective immigrants to a country should be told the facts and that there shouldn't be some some sort of rose-tinted glasses perspective. The example you gave of the differences between teachers' salaries in Australia and New Zealand is a good example and posters should be made aware of this. However, I suppose what I am questioning are the reasons for giving some subjective, sarcastic and negative generalisation about New Zealand and the people, at the same time. If you read some of the genuine queries from those who are thinking about emigrating to New Zealand, rather than the response giving them relevant information; quite often it is accompanied by sarcasm and ridicule.
Old May 29th 2018, 3:04 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Those who come on believing that NZ is a South Seas England just with better weather and shorter working hours, get a bucket of cold water poured on them.
I arrived in November last year, weather has been pretty good since then.

And my office is a ghost town after 3pm
Old May 30th 2018, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Northener is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Why all the negativity?

Thank You KiwiDean. I am British and my husband is French and we live in France. We are looking to move to New Zealand and have been on the French forums. Last night I got so depressed with what I was reading that I quite frankly wanted to give up. People just venting out negativity and not being constructive about it. Then I thought Hey, let’s go on the British forms as us Brits, even if we like a good moan, tend to be objective. Obviously I am wrong.
I hope that someone out there will be able to help us by giving us constructive answers to our future posts. So thank you Kiwi Dean for jsu putting yourself out there. Much appreciated.
Old May 30th 2018, 8:14 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Those of us who post these days tend to post about our lives and our experiences in our adopted countries, be they NZ, Aus or elsewhere. Many of us have experienced divorces, job losses, serious illnesses and all the other ups and downs of life. Many of us would love to go home but are stuck in our respective new homes, wherever they may be. We post about reality, but if those real lives happen to be going through bad patches then naturally we are not very happy-clappy when we post. That's not negativity, its realism.
And as many of us have become cyber-friends over the years, if not personal friends, then we post those experiences online to get support from our friends.
That's just the way a discussion and chat forum works, its not google, its not wikipedia, its a place to chat.
Old May 30th 2018, 9:13 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Northener
I hope that someone out there will be able to help us by giving us constructive answers to our future posts.
Hi.
You landed in slightly the wrong place to gain info , help,advise about your hopes to move to NZ.

I have moved the conversation to a place of its own in the Immigration Forum <--- click the link.
Old May 30th 2018, 10:03 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Those of us who post these days tend to post about our lives and our experiences in our adopted countries, be they NZ, Aus or elsewhere. Many of us have experienced divorces, job losses, serious illnesses and all the other ups and downs of life. Many of us would love to go home but are stuck in our respective new homes, wherever they may be. We post about reality, but if those real lives happen to be going through bad patches then naturally we are not very happy-clappy when we post. That's not negativity, its realism.
And as many of us have become cyber-friends over the years, if not personal friends, then we post those experiences online to get support from our friends.
That's just the way a discussion and chat forum works, its not google, its not wikipedia, its a place to chat.
For some of those of us who have been on here for years these cyber friends have been a great help and support. Not just with the immigration part, but real life.
Old May 30th 2018, 10:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My opinion has always been that those who have moved to a new country and are happy...are out enjoying themselves and not posting on an British Expats forum. That’s the reason you get negative comments about their adopted country.

Likewise...many of our members who have returned to the UK...either don’t bother with BE anymore or seldom post.
Old May 31st 2018, 1:21 am
Just Joined

KiwiDean is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting comments to justify the negative comments. However, this is a Forum- not a chatroom. There seems to be a confusion about the purpose of a Forum and the "reality" that is posted. One would assume that there are other more appropriate means "to get support from our friends" such as emails, phone calls, Skype. I still don't see how one can justify some of the very sarcastic comments that are made where the inference is that it is the country, New Zealand, Australia or wherever, that is to blame. Posting about "lives and experiences" is fine- but why place the blame on the country for "divorces, job losses", etc. This will be my final post on here as my impression is that there will never be any common ground or admittance of misuse of this Forum.
Haere ra- Dean
Old May 31st 2018, 4:41 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

there has been no misuse of the forum and yes a forum can act as a chat room. The only difference between a forum and a chat room is the length of replies.

A forum is what the members deem it to be and if we want to chat to each other then please all carry on, we are here to read, comment and help if we can and yes this may lead to things you don't particularly want to hear unfortunately cannot do anything about that, unless it actually does break the rules.

I am now closing this thread as feel it has run it course.