Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Who wants to stay & Who wants to go back!

Who wants to stay & Who wants to go back!

Old May 9th 2006, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

kooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud ofkooga61 has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Who wants to stay & Who wants to go back!

Happy most of the time, but I do miss some of the people we left behind, and a decent pub/pub lunch. Enjoy my job (most of the time), but miss my son who has gone back.
Would like to get out of Auckland at some stage and live in the real kiwi world! I love showing off to brother in law who said we wouldn't last 6 months, he still does the same old job on the same old machine at the same old factory .....sad git!
Old May 9th 2006, 9:23 am
Just Joined

Joanna1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Who wants to stay & Who wants to go back!

ok first post ever..
We've been here 9 months and I'm still in the 'good days bad days' space. I had no idea I'd be this homesick!! I often think of going home, but then we have one of those kiwi moments where I couldn't imagine being back in London on the tube...
Still feel its early days, but oh shit i've burnt the laz hang on
Old May 9th 2006, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who wants to stay & Who wants to go back!

Most days I love it here but then occasionally something sets me off and I wonder whether we're doing the right thing. I guess most new arrivals feel like that but after 9 months here I would expect to feel a bit more settled.
Old May 9th 2006, 9:48 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

and a folowed by a large
Old May 9th 2006, 9:56 am
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Even if it's still early days (arrived 5 months ago) I'm extremely happy in NZ and am loving my new life. No regrets whatsoever
Old May 9th 2006, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

ukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really niceukkiwi is just really nice

Originally Posted by pleccy2000
K9s & ukkiwi - Why did / are you returning?
Wanted to make some money quickly and going back to the UK was the only way to do it. Moving to NZ to be reliant on savings to live the lifestyle i wanted was not a long term option. Just being in NZ wasnt good enough for me i'm afraid.

One day i hope to go back or try somewhere else but not until i'm financially secure which gives me a goal in life..
Old May 9th 2006, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

kathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant futurekathm has a brilliant future

Been here 4 months now and love it. Sure it's hard being away from family support - especially with 3 under 5s but I have no regrets at all. I can't see us moving back to the UK.
Old May 9th 2006, 10:54 am
Just Joined

RodandEm is an unknown quantity at this point

we haven't gone yet, in fact we haven't even put in our application !

but the reality of it is dawning on me. i've always been very lucky with the amount of friends i have here, but the area i live in (south east) is just not for me.

too busy, and terribly expensive. we wouldn't even consider buying a house or flat here.

my partner is my best friend tho, and we both know if we want to buy a house in the near future, and have our first child, we want to do it somewhere else.

so were gunna take the plunge and see how it goes.
Old May 10th 2006, 7:57 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by K9s
Hate it going back on Monday 15th then I will be
- hate NZ or can't wait to move there? Not sure where you are
but thought you were either heading out soon/headed out fairly recently? Carmen.
Old May 11th 2006, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

pangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the roughpangor is a jewel in the rough

Been here 8 months ourselves and love it.

Still feels strange though and every now and then I just stop and realise again that we have actually made it after a whole year of planning and stress.

Still feel a touch guilty about leaving our infirm parents even though they were all for us going and can keep in touch via email etc.But that is not the same as being there.

Children have settled well ( three boys ) which helps a lot.And are just about to move into our own house after a year of rentals - feel much more settled

peter
Old May 11th 2006, 8:42 pm
Banned

Lenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really niceLenny the Lion is just really nice

I really like NZ but I have only been here 3 months. It is not without its problems though and when things get tough for you personally the easy and not always best option is to go back home to the UK where you will be surrounded by familiar things and people. But those familiar things didnt keep us in the UK in the first place and most people who emigrate wished to get away from those comfort zones.
I have never slagged off the UK and never would. It is still one of the best countries in the world to live but its ever growing problems were a factor in me leaving.
You have to wiegh up what is best for you and it is NZ for me, which I feel just has the overall edge over Britain. Some would disagree.....
Old May 13th 2006, 7:36 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

I nz and then for a while and it's been since then but think we are now, I love it where we are and can see it getting even better for us soon