British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Who is doing things they would never of dreamed of back in UK! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/who-doing-things-they-would-never-dreamed-back-uk-610355/)

Genesis May 21st 2009 9:13 am

Re: Who is doing things they would never of dreamed of back in UK!

More...............

Losing $140k to a finance company. Which was bad..really bad..still shit 'appens aye?

Being able to bring up my three kids while Kate persues her dream career. We both HAD to work in the UK.

Being mortgage free...a huge incentive for us. In the UK it took 33% of my salary after tax.

Being REALLY good at that marvelous kiwi thing...no 8 wire technology. Repairing and bodging.

Being really, really content. Never was in the UK.

Not worrying about my house being burgled or being the victim of a serious crime (where I live anyway). My ward was ridden with crime in the UK...utterly ridden.

Having zero neighbourhood problems to worry about. In the UK where I lived it was wall to wall shite.

SarahB May 21st 2009 9:02 pm

I had another child!! After my experience in the UK I vowed I would never have another child (long painful story)... I took the plunge here and I was looked after so well through the whole thing.... very impressed and my beautiful little kiwi girl is now 2.

I can ride my horse in the sea (the beach is 20 mins ride from where he is at livery).... after almost 4 years here its still a novelty to be able to do that!! I love it!

I've just decided I'm going to do a course.... just gotta decide now what I want to do.... :)

manchaka May 21st 2009 9:30 pm

Quote: 'I can ride my horse in the sea (the beach is 20 mins ride from where he is at livery)'

My God! They have horses that can breathe underwater there?!?!??! I've heard of seahorses but that's just totally blown me away!!! Radical!

AM x :)

pejoroto May 21st 2009 9:30 pm

Who'd have thought I'd ever own a boat?
I never fished in the UK (dirty canals, bleak ponds - why would you?) - now I enjoy taking the boat out and dangling a line over
gutting and filleting a fish....

Taking the kids out for a spin on the biscuit on the back of the boat
Water views from front of the house
Having another kid - said we'd stop at two and now we have a kiwi boy as well
Paying to watch a game of Rugby
Sitting out in the sun with shorts on in the middle of winter
Going to the beach whenever we want because it's only 10 minutes away
Cooking all our meat on the BBQ, even in winter
Going to the beach and having a picnic on Christmas day

the list goes on

sunray May 23rd 2009 5:22 am

Living in a cold/damp house, unemployed with my OH earning a third less than he was in the UK :(:confused:

theduke May 23rd 2009 6:22 am

Originally Posted by sunray (Post 7597082)
Living in a cold/damp house, unemployed with my OH earning a third less than he was in the UK :(:confused:

Maybe be better getting on the next flight back, sorry to hear you are having problems.

Whatever you do I hope it is best for you and your family.

Justcol May 24th 2009 10:36 pm

I'm currently listing my bike on trade me so i can buy a track bike and like you give racing a go.
not a good time to sell but there are plenty of bargains for sale.

scrubbedexpat094 May 24th 2009 10:43 pm

I would never have gone sea-kayaking in the UK. I probably wouldn't have got involved in the theatre either.

zummerzet_lou May 25th 2009 12:02 am

Hmmmm tricky one?

Guess the biggie, is we have a 4 bed house with no mortgage. In the UK we couldn't even afford to make the transistion from 2 bed to 3.

I work longer hours, for similar pay, but I love my job. Guess I could have done this in the UK, but I think part of it is due to the attitude here.

We can see mountains, snow capped ones at that from the bedroom window.
I have tried body boarding ... why did I wait so long?
We're 90 mins from thermal hot pools, and in the other direction ski fields.
We can go to the beach, and if we're unlucky have to share it with one or two other people.
We have been on two dolphin watching cruises and seen dozens of hector dolphins. Once our daughter is 3, we are going to try the whale watching!

I'm sure there's more but I just can't think at the moment ....

theduke May 25th 2009 3:26 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 7600488)
I'm currently listing my bike on trade me so i can buy a track bike and like you give racing a go.
not a good time to sell but there are plenty of bargains for sale.

What sort of bike are you selling and what are you looking for?

Charismatic May 25th 2009 6:29 am

I'd have never thought it possible that I could actually have a shot at going to medical school (not being exceptionally bright or talented like) :fingerscrossed:. I think New Zealand is an exceptionally good place to come and settle if you have kids (and money).

Actually the most amazing thing is that first generation immigrants to NZ seem to most compelled to get ahead and enjoy life. It's like we can elevate ourselves past the unique cramping parochialisms of the old NZ and see what the future could look like here, for us. I think that dream of a new land, a new civilisation even will prevail for New Zealand, so this isn't just some backwater inhabited by a white European middle class settlers and bush dwelling Maori. We now welcome many immigrants from across southeast Asia, and beyond.

Our duty to our country is no to look to preserve the past but to embrace our future, we will create our own destiny in a brave new world. A great nations are built on the dreams of its citizens, those who dared to dream of a better future for them and their children. Those who dared to leave what they and generations of their family had known to seek a new beginning with others. New Zealand is still a new land being settled and shaped, a land of dreams to come :).

dkb_herts May 25th 2009 8:04 am

It's unexciting, but knowing I can walk to work without seeing litter and dogsh*t all over the street puts a smile on my face. The little details like that all add up.

teebrown May 25th 2009 7:41 pm

I find myself, doing an access course to be a Midwife - no medical background and a mature student.

Fishing at the weekends with the kids (never fished before) and really enjoying it and so are the kids.

Just jumping in the car and drive to the beach to watch the amazing sunsets.

Only having 138 children in the whole of school and watching my kids faces when they say they are allowed to take their shoes and socks off during school hours to run around.

Sitting down everynight to have tea together as hubby finishes work by 4.30pm - they would never happen in UK

:thumbsup:

scrubbedexpat094 May 25th 2009 8:31 pm

We would never have been on the cover of a magazine had we stayed in the UK :thumbup:

scrubbedexpat094 May 25th 2009 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by teebrown (Post 7603004)
I find myself, doing an access course to be a Midwife - no medical background and a mature student.

Are you mad? ;) Just given it up, cos the standards are so poor in NZ.