British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Who is doing things they would never of dreamed of back in UK! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/who-doing-things-they-would-never-dreamed-back-uk-610355/)

crap coffee May 27th 2009 3:36 am

Re: Who is doing things they would never of dreamed of back in UK!

Originally Posted by theduke (Post 7607492)
To be honest doesn't bother me, but I am sure a few people on here would not be happy if I said the Oz flag was the NZ flag the Euro flag was the British flag etc etc.

PS. for the record I prefer NZ because there is so much more opportunities here, but I am sure some people think the other way round also.

If it is money and material things people are after NZ is not the place to be, for ease of life and enjoyment easier upbringing for kids etc NZ wins hands down, in my opinion obviously, each to there own.
:thumbup:

Now the thread seems turn into NZ vs UK..............:rofl:

theduke May 27th 2009 4:53 am

Originally Posted by crap coffee (Post 7607614)
Now the thread seems turn into NZ vs UK..............:rofl:

That is what you wanted was it not? :confused:

BEVS May 27th 2009 5:27 am

We have two ducks and hope to have chickens. This is not something we are doing as such but it is something that we can have here that we couldn't really have had in the UK. Our UK garden and area wouldn't really have been Ok for this in the UK but our Nz garden is. Better still, our neighbours also have chickens, in fact most of the folks we know have 'em and all neighburs just love the ducks being around, even the neighbour that routinely goes shooting.

SarahB May 27th 2009 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Persephone (Post 7607539)
Seriously thinking of doing a course in something but haven't decided on what yet...

me too.... but no idea what I want to do at the moment? I will probably have to wait til my little princess goes off to morning kindy or school. I just wish I knew what I wanted to do? :confused:

DeepSix Jun 7th 2009 2:46 am

we managed to start a business - something i never even contemplated before we got here.

even more , given the whole NZ wages are less than the UK, we are making more money here than we could have thought about when i was back in the UK

we learnt to sail and own a boat.. never thought about that.

we own our own home and even with this downturn expect to be mortgage free in less than 10 yrs.. again something i never thought could be happen!

i have managed to take up fishing again, something that just didnt happen in the UK since i was 12

Taken up hunting..mmm rabbit pie

learnt new skills.. never thought i'd know how to use a chainsaw!

am happy with what we have here.. something i didnt quite get when i was back in the UK..

7 yrs has flashed over quicker than i realised..

lardyl Jun 7th 2009 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by DeepSix (Post 7641193)
we managed to start a business - something i never even contemplated before we got here.
even more , given the whole NZ wages are less than the UK, we are making more money here than we could have thought about when i was back in the UK
we own our own home and even with this downturn expect to be mortgage free in less than 10 yrs.. again something i never thought could be happen!
i have managed to take up fishing again, something that just didnt happen in the UK since i was 12
am happy with what we have here.. something i didnt quite get when i was back in the UK..

thnaks for sharing and giving those of us on a similar journey hope for our little expedition(s). :thumbsup:

theduke Jun 8th 2009 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by DeepSix (Post 7641193)

Superb, sounds good, great to hear people really enjoying themselves and having a better life than previous, esp. getting cheap workers lol.